Wiki Posts
Search

Perth-Singapore resumes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:18 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Perth-Singapore resumes

Just saw on the news that Qantas will be bringing back flights Per-Sin.

We are very loyal Qantas customers and always try to book on QF metal where possible.

This is a decent length flight - why a 737? I avoid these aircraft where possible as I prefer a bigger aircraft with a more spacious feel - and especially where I can sit with my husband rather than sharing with a third person.

While we would be likely to use the route quite often and would be happy to accrue QF miles - the 737 won't be our choice, sadly.

Last edited by VLJ; Apr 16, 2015 at 4:31 am
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by VLJ
This is a decent length flight - why a 737?
Probably because it's a point-to-point flight which is basically from a non-hub airport to another non-hub airport, and so is less likely to attract the traffic that it might if SIN (for example) were still a QF hub.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The length of flight seems not unsuitable for that type of aeroplane. Only 500 miles more than SYD-DRW is
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:42 am
VLJ
Original Poster

A pity, we like to overnight in Singapore before continuing on to Europe.
There are lots of QF award seats even if on EK metal originating from Singapore to Europe - we are flying SIN-DXB-Milan.
Not so many award seats on the flights Per-DXB and onwards but then again we are searching in J.
However we always purchase our flight to Singapore and would prefer to earn points with QF rather than with Singapore Airlines, but the 737 makes it less attractive.

Last edited by VLJ; Apr 16, 2015 at 4:55 am
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:36 am

Did a post on this (http://www.milesdownunder.com/2015/0...and-singapore/). The start date is 26 June.

It hardly seems that Qantas will be competitive with SQ's regional J product (which is the same thing that VA currently operate coast to coast on their A330s).

While it early days, if it proves popular hopefully Qantas will upgrade the aircraft used...
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: QFF WP
Funny that a week ago or so in similar discussions I and others were ridiculed for lamenting the absence of international flights ex PER with the "it is not a hub" argument the driver.

Now flights are getting added "point to point" is the argument and it is about suitability of aircraft.....

It appears that swathe of "more profitable routes" and "utlilisation" and do you think..... utilisation......PER arguments that were so strong a few days back have less weight now?

Perhaps what some posters here lack is objectivity, mistake enthusiasm for knowledge, and he who posts most is not he who is right?

At any rate, it is good to see, and there is no reason why it can not grow in both frequency or capacity if the pax have certainty. After all if you build it they will come.....

Last edited by seat_4D; Apr 16, 2015 at 8:36 am
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The length of flight seems not unsuitable for that type of aeroplane. Only 500 miles more than SYD-DRW is
Love your Sydneycentric comments Dave.

PER-BNE - 2,244 miles
SYD-DRW - 1,963 miles

PER-SIN - 2,433 miles

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Apr 16, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by VLJ
Just saw on the news that Qantas will be bringing back flights Per-Sin.

We are very loyal Qantas customers and always try to book on QF metal where possible.

This is a decent length flight - why a 737? I avoid these aircraft where possible as I prefer a bigger aircraft with a more spacious feel - and especially where I can sit with my husband rather than sharing with a third person.

While we would be likely to use the route quite often and would be happy to accrue QF miles - the 737 won't be our choice, sadly.
It is not the best flight option if you can get a pair compared to 2-3-2 or 2-4-2 flights, but it is tolerable. My wife is a window flyer, I am an aisle flyer, but on a 73H I am happy to take the middle seat (mainly because I can atleast lean her way).

However real .... seating I saw last week HKG-PER: Husband and Wife in the middle seats in the middle row - not a good way to spend 7 hours!

I actually think the route will end up with the A330 in a short space of time if the airline give the passengers certainty of carriage.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:56 am
VLJ
Original Poster

I don't like to 'tolerate' flying, I actually try to enjoy it and make choices accordingly. Oh and husband is the window seat and I am aisle seat ...
I hope they will use the A330 seat_4D - when it is, we will be on it.
Especially for the option of quality J class.
Call me old fashioned but I felt international flights of a fair distance deserved a more roomy aircraft.
I don't speak in the usual flight lingo and often don't understand the cryptic arguments here but I am a paying customer who has a soft spot for Qantas.
It's good to see Perth back on the radar, even if in a small way.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:13 pm
Company Representative - Qantas Airways

Programs: Qantas Airways
The return of the Perth-Singapore route is part of a number of improvements for West Australian travellers: http://bit.ly/1G1HzlL.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by VLJ
Especially for the option of quality J class.
Depending on the timing of the flight which I am yet to look at, if they were smart enough to schedule the new generation of 738 on the route the J offering is good enough as a hard product. No matter what they offer it will not stack up to SQ, but will be better than JQ!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Red Roo
The return of the Perth-Singapore route is part of a number of improvements for West Australian travellers: http://bit.ly/1G1HzlL.
"“We know how important it is for West Australian business travellers to have seamless access to Asia" - given that importance has not changed since the decision to dump Asian routes was made the admission is a welcome backflip from prior stupidity.

As for a number of improvements, I count 2: the resumption to SIN, and the creation of the J lounge. Given the prevalence of FIFO WP's in PER though I am unsure of the "benefit" of this, in fact the QP will likely become a haven in the mornings as a result!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat_4D
Depending on the timing of the flight which I am yet to look at, if they were smart enough to schedule the new generation of 738 on the route the J offering is good enough as a hard product. No matter what they offer it will not stack up to SQ, but will be better than JQ!
Most of the pax will be down the back in economy. They will make airline choice base on 3 things:- price, price & price.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Most of the pax will be down the back in economy. They will make airline choice base on 3 things:- price, price & price.
and schedule
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
will try to avoid this 737 unless i can get a platinum shadow.
wouldn't you rather fly JQ instead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.