Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Definitely smells fishy..

I think the agent made it up... what do you do in cases like this?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by kar don
Interesting situation:

Denied access to guest of AA EXP on LAX to LHR. Reason: Guest has to be on the same flight or AA won't pay for access. Claimed this was a change about 2 months ago. Doesn't state this on any of the oneworld documentation, only that the guest has to be on a Oneworld flight.

Anyone run into this?
Yes, there have been reports of this happening, at LAX and other Qantas lounges. The rule is only supposed to apply to Qantas' elites and guests who are traveling on non oneworld Qantas partners.

If a Qantas Emerald is traveling oneworld then their guest simply need to be traveling oneworld. That does not help at the coal face when local management have incorrectly instructed staff.

I would be complaining.
kar don and zpaul like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by kar don
Interesting situation:

Denied access to guest of AA EXP on LAX to LHR. Reason: Guest has to be on the same flight or AA won't pay for access. Claimed this was a change about 2 months ago. Doesn't state this on any of the oneworld documentation, only that the guest has to be on a Oneworld flight.

Anyone run into this?
I had this happen a few weeks ago. I was traveling with a friend through LAX who went on to a domestic destination and I started an international trip. We went to the QF Lounge where I was told we had to be going to the same destination. I politely said that's not what the rules said and we then went to the Flagship Lounge. I later came back to the QF Lounge by myself and he apologized and said he looked it up to bring us back but we were too far down the hallway.

Now ... seems to be some inconsistent info in the wiki. If in J on the NYC-LAX transcon, and an EXP, can I get into the QF Lounge? The wiki says only if in F but also says EXP on the transcon,.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Now ... seems to be some inconsistent info in the wiki. If in J on the NYC-LAX transcon, and an EXP, can I get into the QF Lounge? The wiki says only if in F but also says EXP on the transcon,.
Check the 5 point table at the top of the WIki. No access.

Also take regard to the ^ footnote.
Originally Posted by ^
Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on JFK... transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by serfty
Check the 5 point table at the top of the WIki. No access.

Also take regard to the ^ footnote.

I saw that but ....the wiki also says

"Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK or MIA in First Class or in Business or Economy with status, AA oneworld Emerald holders have access."
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw that but ....the wiki also says

"Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK or MIA in First Class or in Business or Economy with status, AA oneworld Emerald holders have access."
IMHO, that part of the Wiki is incorrect.

There was some robust discussion on this last year.

See from here:

Originally Posted by SvenB1414
Was just denied access to Qantas First. I'm AA EXP flying LAX-JFK in J. Was this right?
Qantas First Class Lounge, LAX

Last edited by serfty; Mar 27, 2018 at 6:25 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:29 pm

To share my experience ....went to QF Lounge. There seemed to be confusion about what to do with an EXP who had flown a transcon and had a domestic oneworld connection. Ultimately, after lots of discussion, they said no and that I should go to the OW Business Lounge. I went there. They were confused as well but looked at each other, shrugged, and let me in. Then, as long as I was over there, I decided to check out the KAL/Skyteam Lounge with my priority pass.

For all the SkyTeam fans out there, the lounge at one of the world's major international airports is embarrassingly bad. The OneWorld Business Lounge was significantly better with a decent food selection.

That being said, between the OW Business Lounge, the Skyteam/Priority Pass Lounge, and the Flagship Lounge, the Flagship Lounge is far and away the best choice. The QF Lounge is a closer call but as a J passenger on the transcon, I get into the Flagship Lounge based on the class flown, and my status doesn't matter.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
That being said, between the OW Business Lounge, the Skyteam/Priority Pass Lounge, and the Flagship Lounge, the Flagship Lounge is far and away the best choice. The QF Lounge is a closer call but as a J passenger on the transcon, I get into the Flagship Lounge based on the class flown, and my status doesn't matter.
I absolutely love the FL. With the newest addition, I find it less necessary to venture over to TBIT during connections. AA surely hit a home run with this concept - hopefully they don't "enhance" it, if you know what I mean.
kar don and zpaul like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:57 pm
formerly mattrendell27

If im flying CX F HKG-LAX and then connecting on the same itinerary, same day onto an Alaska flight LAX-DAL, would I have access?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
If im flying CX F HKG-LAX and then connecting on the same itinerary, same day onto an Alaska flight LAX-DAL, would I have access?
No, you would need to be departing on a oneworld operated and marketed flight - AA to DFW would have sufficed.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
I've wondered about that too... I think if the LAX-DAL has a Qantas or AA flight number you will get in... try it and see what happens! lol.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
I absolutely love the FL. With the newest addition, I find it less necessary to venture over to TBIT during connections. AA surely hit a home run with this concept - hopefully they don't "enhance" it, if you know what I mean.
Agreed, the FL is nice and makes a hard bargain between FL and OW J lounge... I do like the alcohol selection and real espresso at the OW J lounge though.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm an AA EXP flying LAX-MEX
Returning MEX-LAX 7pm, LAX-PHX 6am

Pardon my ignorance but I'm new to OW. It looks like I can get into the lounge prior to my flight to MEX (and bring a guest on the same flight with me). But since my connecting domestic is not technically "before 6am" I can't enter on the way back.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should be able to enter when travelling MEX-xLAX-PHX, as you are an EXP travelling NOT solely on a defined "North American* Itinerary".

See point 2 at the top of the Wiki
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by dkmatter
I'm an AA EXP flying LAX-MEX
Returning MEX-LAX 7pm, LAX-PHX 6am

Pardon my ignorance but I'm new to OW. It looks like I can get into the lounge prior to my flight to MEX (and bring a guest on the same flight with me). But since my connecting domestic is not technically "before 6am" I can't enter on the way back.
Can confirm through empirical evidence that you can access the FL when flying LAX-MEX (and bring a guest).

As for the return, it’s worth a try. Simply present your int’l BP first when checking into the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.