Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No shoes, no shirt, no service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
My thoughts exactly: As long as the "dress code" in the lounge is not aligned exactly with that on the plane, how can this even make sense?

Think about it: Someone buys a ticket in C or F for many thousands of $$$ which DOES allow him/her to travel in thongs and a singlet on the plane, but that same person gets turned away by the lounge dragon for "not meeting the dress code"...
The person spending thousands of dollars for a ticket can choose to dress in a manner that will meet dress standards or not use the lounge.

I don't see the issue

The number of people that this is likely to affect is very small I posit

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 12, 2015 at 11:54 pm
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
That rules out anyone in the world flying "Quantas".

Have there been any airlines recently with a large number of people flying without clothes?
http://miami.about.com/cs/nudistsnat.../aa011603a.htm

but I digress

the point is that the QP has *always* had a dress code, it's just never (or hardly ever since i am sure it has over the years, somewhere) been enforced.

I don't really care myself if people are wearing thongs or shorts or whatever.. I do object to people putting feet (bare or otherwise) on common surfaces that others use - eg: chairs, tables etc but that's a behaviour issue not a clothing one.

I strongly suspect the reality is that this will be a coverall for such situations where it's not really about your "off to Bali" bloke with the ripped singlet and thongs but more for people being more inappropriate. I'd be surprised if someone wearing some nice shorts, a clean smart T etc would be refused entry, specially someplace like BNE in summer. I suppose it could happen though.

Me I normally travel in Jeans (noting the other comments about comfort, on the long hauls I usually change into the pj's or similar) and a polo or possibly a T with sneakers. It may not be "smart casual" in the strictest sense, but I'd also be quite surprised if I was denied entry with that kind of attire.

For me though it's more lounge behaviour (and people can be wearing 3 piece suits to lack it) and common courtesy/manners that irk me in lounges.

Hopefully common sense and discretion will be employed by staff with the onerous task of "enforcing" this policy.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by og
So if I turn up to the Flounge wearing QF PJs from J, will I be let in? Or do I have to wear F PJs to be let into the Flounge? Of course, I'd have to be on a very lucrative dare to even contemplate this ...

But, where do QF PJs stand in relation to a stereotypical JQ bogan pax on a DPS flight wearing trackie dacks and a singlet (or indeed a T shirt with some obscure logo on it (eg a tripleJ exploding head)) - that may have cost a small fortune to buy?

Great idea QF to have dress regulations, but it's got hairs all over it.
The changes are for domestic lounges. The number of people flying F on domestic services is quite small i would have thought
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No, the argument is over whether hi visibility clothing is smart casual - I would suggest that it is not
You may not see it as smart casual but the comma after smart and before casual to me denotes two styles. I do not understand people's disdain for those wear the hi-vis for work, it is part of the work dress standards and as long as it is not soiled there should not be a problem if they are entitled to access the lounge.
I do draw the line at tank tops/singlet, extra short shorts and thongs/flip flops and jandals (I am living in NZ).
Jeans and a round neck t-shirt, well when I saw MK in the SYD F Lounge wearing this it looked very smart.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
You may not see it as smart casual but the comma after smart and before casual to me denotes two styles. I do not understand people's disdain for those wear the hi-vis for work, it is part of the work dress standards and as long as it is not soiled there should not be a problem if they are entitled to access the lounge.
I do draw the line at tank tops/singlet, extra short shorts and thongs/flip flops and jandals (I am living in NZ).
Jeans and a round neck t-shirt, well when I saw MK in the SYD F Lounge wearing this it looked very smart.

The comma implies smart and casual

Hi visibility clothing may be part of work dress standards , but the passengers are not (afaik) working whilst on the flight

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 13, 2015 at 1:56 am
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:11 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I find the anti vis brigade classist and elitist. I find an ill fitting suit and fake LV offensive, but that doesn't mean I want to dictate what people wear.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Definition of "smart casual" is very vague and I will let the readers to do their own research. I have worn Levi's jeans, shirt with cufflinks, tweed herringbone jacket and boots to a formal reception with Princess Beatrix, then Queen of the Netherlands. I have also worn jeans and collared t-shirt to a function attended by several presidents and/or prime ministers without any issues...I have met prime minister of Australia in shorts, t-shirt and sneakers...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

Last edited by bensyd; Feb 13, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m0hamed
If I'm on the SYD-MEL run, I'll be in a suit. If I return on a weekend, I'll be in my jeans, sneakers and Fred Perry polo
^

When I did my weekly SYD-ADL-SYD commute I'd always change into more comfortable clothes for the Thursday night return leg. Would much rather be comfortable than smart.

What about wearing shorts in the lounge? If it's 40 degrees outside then I don't see how anyone could argue against this.

I am in favour of the policy in principle however. I'm not really a fan of singlets and/or bare feet but it doesn't offend me enough to complain about it. I'd much rather that people address their behaviour before their dress sense.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:22 am

Pushback from the Top End:

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/opinio...=trendinglinks
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
No, the argument is over whether hi visibility clothing is smart casual - I would suggest that it is not
The high viz crowd makes QF enough money so by definition it will meet the dress code. Even if it is neither smart nor casual.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
The high viz crowd makes QF enough money so by definition it will meet the dress code. Even if it is neither smart nor casual.
Not wearing hi viz is the exception on a weekday morning in the Perth lounge, but on the other hand my tickets PER-KTA or v/v one way often cost more then the round trips I make to Europe from Sydney, all in flexi Y. Clearly these routes make a lot of money for QF, although no wonder the company is pushing hard to transfer to VA.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Hi visibility clothing may be part of work dress standards , but the passengers are not (afaik) working whilst on the flight
While they may not be working in transit, those in their work attire would be bussed straight to site where their work day commences immediately.

While you and I may be more comfortable driving to work in shorts, thongs and a polo and change into pants, shirt and tie once in the office that does not make it timely or practical so 99% of us commute to work in our work attire (whatever that may be) despite the fact that the car / train / bus are not our workplace (the other 1% appear determined to commute in Lycra to have the office staff vomit in their coffee as they waddle past on their way through the office to the showers
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:53 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by seat_4D
...(the other 1% appear determined to commute in Lycra to have the office staff vomit in their coffee as they waddle past on their way through the office to the showers
I resemble that remark - the Lycra - not the vomit. In any case, it's more than 1%.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by og
I resemble that remark - the Lycra - not the vomit. In any case, it's more than 1%.
So sue them for " illegal use of Lycra"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.