Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Wrong SC earning table according QF call center agent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus

Recently I flew: IAD-LHR-TXL in H class on BA and was credited as follows:

IAD-LHR: 3665 Points 30 SCs (Distance: 3665 miles)
LHR-TXL: 588 Points 10 SCs (Distance: 588 miles)

For all I know (and yes, there is still a lot I need to learn here) I should have gotten 60 SCs for IAD-LHR and 20 for LHR-TXL.

The “Earning Points Calculator” as well as the “SC Earning Table” confirm my claim. I put the miles in brackets to make it easier for you to check the SC earning table.

I called the call center twice and was told twice that the SC earning was correct in my case, but these agents quoted exactly the same table I’m referring to when talking to them. When asking them about this discrepancy, both were very confused but insisted I earned what I was supposed to.

Did anyone of you have a similar experience? If you do, how did you resolve this issue?
I also emailed the Frequent Flyer Service, but did not get a response yet.

@ Mod: Not sure if I can post links here. If I cannot could you please delete those.

Link: Earning Points Calculator:

https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/do/...alPointsEarned

Link: SCs Earning Table
https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn...status-credits

Your help and advice would be very much appreciated.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Flauschie_Mr
Recently I flew: IAD-LHR-TXL in H class on BA and was credited as follows:

IAD-LHR: 3665 Points 30 SCs (Distance: 3665 miles)
LHR-TXL: 588 Points 10 SCs (Distance: 588 miles)

For all I know (and yes, there is still a lot I need to learn here) I should have gotten 60 SCs for IAD-LHR and 20 for LHR-TXL.
I think that BA H class is Discount Economy for the purposes of earning SCs, and so earns in the first column of the lines for "3,501-5,000 miles" and "501-750 miles" respectively: 30 and 10. As the note on this page says, "For travel on oneworld Alliance airlines or Fiji Airways, Economy is class Y."

But it is Full Economy for the purposes of earning points, hence you getting 3665 and 588 points.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that BA H class is Discount Economy for the purposes of earning SCs, and so earns in the first column of the lines for "3,501-5,000 miles" and "501-750 miles" respectively: 30 and 10. As the note on this page says, "For travel on oneworld Alliance airlines or Fiji Airways, Economy is class Y."

But it is Full Economy for the purposes of earning points, hence you getting 3665 and 588 points.
The OP should have earned the full SC as shown on this page which classifies BHY fare buckets as Economy:
https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn...earning-points

The earning table on https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn...status-credits indicates 60SC and 20SC accordingly.

That * on the page is the only sticky issue. I suggest to contact QF once again citing the BA page and online calculator as they both seem to reflect the correct earning rate.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edy4eva
The OP should have earned the full SC as shown on this page which classifies BHY fare buckets as Economy:
No, that classification only applies to the earning of points. The note that I've pointed to regarding earning SCs governs how many SCs you earn. That's why H class is Full Economy for earning points, but Discount Economy for earning SCs.

It seems anomalous, but I think we have been round these houses before on more than one occasion over the years.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by edy4eva

The earning table on https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn...status-credits indicates 60SC and 20SC accordingly.

That * on the page is the only sticky issue. I suggest to contact QF once again citing the BA page and online calculator as they both seem to reflect the correct earning rate.
The 2 pages are completely accurate and in line with what the OP earned

The points page does indeed state that for earning points YBH earn 100% miles, which is what the OP earned
The SC page also clearly states that only Y counts for full SC earning and so, with only being in H class, the OP earned at the discount rate

There is nothing to contact QF about. That only Y earns full SCs has been the situation for years
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:46 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
You know it's H class but does QF? In my recent experience, I had a domestic AA flight in the USA booked into A class. ETicket and BP showed A class but QF insisted it was S class as that's what AA sent to them. All resolved after sending scans of the ticket and BP. Emails got nowhere - had to send to frequent_flyer at QF etc
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by og
You know it's H class but does QF?
It would seem that it does. QF correctly credited mileage at 100% which , for BA, is only applicable for YBH classes and correctly credited SCs at the discount SC rate ( as referenced on the SC earning page )
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Thank you for all your replies.

@ Dave, I understand the argument with Y-class only earning full SCs now. What got me here is the fact the H-class on BA books into Economy for points and supposedly only into Discount Economy for SCs. In addition the Earning Points Calculator also shows full SCs. There is no differentiation between SCs and points earning rates (Earning Points Calculator).

I guess what angers me most is that Qantas has contradicting information on their official website, Earning Points Calculator vs. the Earning SCs webpage, but also that I did rely too much on the Earning Calculator and the Points Earning Table.

However, I’m still a bit confused with the following two things:

1. When looking into my activity statements, the flight according to QF is classes as BA Economy. Therefore I assumed I would earn points and SCs according to the Economy Fare bucket. If there was a difference some indication should have been made.

2. I asked the call centre agent about my onward flights and the crediting situation there (H-class, BA flight number for TXL-LHR, QF flight number LHR-DXB-BNE, although operated by EK). I was told that I should be credited full SCs for all these flights.... .

Anyways, I sadly have a feeling QF won’t move here, and all I’ll get will be a “Sorry for the confusion”.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:55 am

For a long time Y has been the only full SC earning class on BA, so this is not a change that has happened at all.

I would save fighting QFF for a time where the carrier is actually in the wrong
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyways, I sadly have a feeling QF won’t move here, and all I’ll get will be a “Sorry for the confusion”.
I strongly suspect that you're right on this. It has been like this for many years now, and the subject has been discussed here a number of times too.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
I guess what angers me most is that Qantas has contradicting information on their official website, Earning Points Calculator vs. the Earning SCs webpage, but also that I did rely too much on the Earning Calculator and the Points Earning Table.
I'd say the information is not as clear as it could be, but not contradictory. It must be possible for the website calculator to be programmed to handle your situation, so that you don't have to switch between Discount Economy and Economy to find the applicable points and SCs. But they haven't chosen to make it obvious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.