lounge in Melbourne not code-shared?

Old Oct 26, 17, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Lounge access is only on routes where the qf/EK partnership applies... so you can't use the EK lounge in Australia before a QF flight to the USA for example. Their partnership doesn't extend to the usa... and I guess a code share is a good way of working that agreement out? Same with other flights around the world, just because EK has a lounge in a particular port it doesn't mean QF pax can automatically use it. .
Old Oct 26, 17, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Lounge access is only on routes where the qf/EK partnership applies... so you can't use the EK lounge in Australia before a QF flight to the USA for example. Their partnership doesn't extend to the usa... and I guess a code share is a good way of working that agreement out? Same with other flights around the world, just because EK has a lounge in a particular port it doesn't mean QF pax can automatically use it. .
Not according to the Qantas Gold tier benefits page

Originally Posted by https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/flying/tier-benefits#benefits-of-gold
Lounge Access
Enjoy access for you and one guest to Emirates Lounges throughout Australia, Europe, Asia, North Africa and the Middle East, whenever you fly with Qantas or Emirates. In Dubai, you and a guest may enjoy the luxurious Emirates Business Lounge
I have seen agents looking to limit access, but does not seem to be in line with Qantas's listed benefit
Old Oct 26, 17, 6:43 pm

Programs: QF (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Not according to the Qantas Gold tier benefits page

I have seen agents looking to limit access, but does not seem to be in line with Qantas's listed benefit
Either poor wording by Qantas or incorrect interpretation by the EK lounge staff but I have seen QF passengers denied access, AKL and SYD, with the reason being that the QF/EK partnership not including the flight (in the AKL case it was an FJ codeshare to NAN so I assume that was completely legitimate) SYD was to HND so similar to the reported cases in MEL.
Old Oct 26, 17, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
Either poor wording by Qantas or incorrect interpretation by the EK lounge staff but I have seen QF passengers denied access, AKL and SYD, with the reason being that the QF/EK partnership not including the flight (in the AKL case it was an FJ codeshare to NAN so I assume that was completely legitimate) SYD was to HND so similar to the reported cases in MEL.
From speaking to Qantas customer service, I believe that the issue is with Emirates's lounge agents putting additional rules in place that are not actual rules

I have seen the agents using the codeshare rule , but I am fairly sure that the Qantas website is correct and that the lounge agents are incorrect
Old Oct 26, 17, 9:45 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
.. , but I am fairly sure that the Qantas website is correct and that the lounge agents are incorrect
So the situation is not dissimilar to trying to argue with a security agent about the item they want to throw out is actually OK to carry on.
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og View Post
So the situation is not dissimilar to trying to argue with a security agent about the item they want to throw out is actually OK to carry on.
I don't know - I have never had that situation occur ; I have only had a case where I was surprised that such an item I had would be prohibited, but the security agent was able to obtain documentation that supported his position

If the agents say that the rule is X, they are unlikely to change from it.
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:36 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know - I have never had that situation occur ; I have only had a case where I was surprised that such an item I had would be prohibited, but the security agent was able to obtain documentation that supported his position

If the agents say that the rule is X, they are unlikely to change from it.
I was getting at, IMHO, incorrect interpretation of documentation. In my case it was scissors at TPE needing “rounded blades”. Only those with rounded cutting edges were allowed - which means (to the security guy) that all scissors were trashed. Mine had rounded ends and were OK everywhere else. The security guy got his supervisor who agreed with the junior’s opinion. Next adjudication would have been with guys with big guns.
Old Oct 26, 17, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't sound like the agents were incorrect - rounded tip is not the same as a rounded blade
Old Oct 27, 17, 12:24 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't sound like the agents were incorrect - rounded tip is not the same as a rounded blade
The guys were quoting an English translation of the rules originally in Chinese.
Rounded blades on scissors make them blunt objects and ineffective for achieving their implied purpose (ie cutting things). Notwithstanding, an argument would have only led to tears (mine) and a visit to a very ugly holding cell off the airport. The argument that SYD, LAX, DFW, NRT and HND security said they are "OK" failed to impress.
Old Oct 27, 17, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og View Post
The guys were quoting an English translation of the rules originally in Chinese.
Rounded blades on scissors make them blunt objects and ineffective for achieving their implied purpose (ie cutting things). Notwithstanding, an argument would have only led to tears (mine) and a visit to a very ugly holding cell off the airport. The argument that SYD, LAX, DFW, NRT and HND security said they are "OK" failed to impress.
And rounded blades are on items.

That other airrports allowed them is irrelevant. different places have different rules. Taipei is none of Australia , USA or Japan so would not expect that to hold any weight. There are, for example, surgical items with rounded blades - and this is different to having rounded tips
Old Oct 27, 17, 2:04 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And rounded blades are on items.

That other airrports allowed them is irrelevant. different places have different rules. Taipei is none of Australia , USA or Japan so would not expect that to hold any weight. There are, for example, surgical items with rounded blades - and this is different to having rounded tips
I did indicate that the experience at other airports failed to impress - which you implied agreement with with your “irrelevant” remark. The security guy wanted to show that “rounded blades” were OK and sharp blades were not - by cutting a piece of paper (which is a design feature of scissors). Had the scissors failed to cut a piece of paper, then they would have been OK. I should mention that the scissors were about 5 cm long with rounded ends.