Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

HKG - SYD return: which leg to upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Hello!

Booked in J on QF128 on the A380 and then coming back QF127 on a 747. Obviously the hard product on the A380 is MILES better than the old hard product on the 747, but which way would you recommend upgrading to first on? Influencing factors are:

1. I have to drive when I get to Sydney so want to be well rested but also want to take full advantage of the bar in the lounge and onboard
2. I guess I will be asleep most of the way to Sydney so the soft product may not matter that much but the bed on the A380 is much more comfortable
3. Is the new HKG QF first lounge plus the A380 better than the amazing SYD first lounge then a crappy hard product on the 747? Is the soft product the same on the 747? I'm only silver so will only get the first lounge on one leg.

This probably brings new meaning to the expression 'first world problems' but what would you do?

Cheers
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:24 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
If you can adequately sleep on QF128 in J, perhaps save F for QF127 when you can enjoy it properly?

I'd hate to pay for F (miles or cash) to just sleep.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:35 am
Original Poster

That's the way I'm leaning - didn't get much sleep last time in J on the a380 down to Sydney but it was my first time home in a year so I think I was too excited to sleep!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:47 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Might also be a timing issue that neither class can help - I normally sleep around midnight so I get into trouble going on CX111/QF128/VS200 early departures.

Last time I went straight down to Melbourne after QF128 and did a 3-hour drive to Mt Buller. I had to take a nap half way.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Wow, I only have to drive to Newcastle, Mt Buller would have been impossible!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I'd hate to pay for F (miles or cash) to just sleep.
Same!

Unless it was the SQ Suites.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by cibovino
Hello!

Booked in J on QF128 on the A380 and then coming back QF127 on a 747. Obviously the hard product on the A380 is MILES better than the old hard product on the 747, but which way would you recommend upgrading to first on? Influencing factors are:

1. I have to drive when I get to Sydney so want to be well rested but also want to take full advantage of the bar in the lounge and onboard
2. I guess I will be asleep most of the way to Sydney so the soft product may not matter that much but the bed on the A380 is much more comfortable
3. Is the new HKG QF first lounge plus the A380 better than the amazing SYD first lounge then a crappy hard product on the 747? Is the soft product the same on the 747? I'm only silver so will only get the first lounge on one leg.

This probably brings new meaning to the expression 'first world problems' but what would you do?

Cheers
if you are taking a 747 - take F. J class is not so good. F is good on the QF127 provided you pick the right seat (1AK or 3AK)

There is no QF F lounge in HKG. The only one is a business class lounge. You'd need to use the CX F Wing for a true F lounge.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:46 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
There is no QF F lounge in HKG. The only one is a business class lounge. You'd need to use the CX F Wing for a true F lounge.
And then all you need to do is to have 4 or so F WING hours to drink, eat, shower and be merry. Get on the plane and go straight to sleep. You can then forget about the QF crew lottery (will they or won't they be prompt with service).
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
And then all you need to do is to have 4 or so F WING hours to drink, eat, shower and be merry. Get on the plane and go straight to sleep. You can then forget about the QF crew lottery (will they or won't they be prompt with service).
the OP doesn't mention their status... but my preferred combination would be QF new lounge in HKG with flat bed on a380, followed by the return 747 F and QF F lounge.

otherwise the OP (unless they have status) will be flying a 747 in J and have the bland qantas international business lounge in sydney (basically an economy class lounge for those with status).
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cibovino
Booked in J on QF128 on the A380 and then coming back QF127 on a 747. Obviously the hard product on the A380 is MILES better than the old hard product on the 747, but which way would you recommend upgrading to first on?
Remember QF upgrades are a lottery any you may not get an upgrade on any of the flights
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:44 pm

I am doing j on cx 111 in two weeks. I have been trying to get f or j on qf 128 with miles but so far no availability. If j on qf128(a380) becomes available should I swap cx j for a380 qf j?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by jmj9905
I am doing j on cx 111 in two weeks. I have been trying to get f or j on qf 128 with miles but so far no availability. If j on qf128(a380) becomes available should I swap cx j for a380 qf j?
I'd stick with CX. Better (imo) J product with direct aisle access for all.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmj9905
stay with CX J.

the beds on the QF 380 droop. Passengers are having to prop them up with bags or wedge shoes in the gap.

there is not much reason to change to QF (food is better but the service takes forever)
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:51 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
stay with CX J.

the beds on the QF 380 droop. Passengers are having to prop them up with bags or wedge shoes in the gap.

there is not much reason to change to QF (food is better but the service takes forever)
Exactly. On the QF aircraft you will avoid DBS (droopy bed syndrome) with a well placed shoe and you'll sleep better. CX J passengers never have DBS. The only thing in QF's favour is the food - if you can wait long enough for it.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Slight o/T will QF F last?

Just wondering whether anyone knows what QF First class loads are like and whether they will keep f class going. want to book for April next year, but with everything so fluid at QFi at the moment, seems a gamble as it will be a reward ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.