Wiki Posts
Search

The end of JASA'a

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
The end of JASA'a

Just got this by email. Read the last part.

We know how important it is for you to be rewarded when you fly. It's also important that the reward should reflect the value of your fare. So, we're making changes to how you earn in the air.
It's all about creating a fairer, more simplified program, designed to align the number of Qantas Points1 and Status credits2 you earn more closely with the fare you pay, where you fly and the airline you choose.
Effective for travel from 1 July 2014, the number of Qantas Points and Status credits you earn will change when you fly with Qantas and Jetstar Airlines. Put simply, these changes will mean that you'll earn more Qantas Points and Status credits when you choose more flexible fares. At the same time, we're reducing the Qantas Points you'll earn on our lower fares to reflect your spend.
While we're making changes in the air, rest assured this does not affect your current points balance, or the way you earn with our broad range of partners on the ground. And, when it's time to redeem, there's no change to the number of points you need for a Classic Award3 or how you use your points for your chosen reward.4
Our commitment is to offer you the most comprehensive, rewarding loyalty program in Australia, wherever your journey takes you.
As these and other changes, including Status credit earn with other partner airlines, may affect you, we suggest you take a look at all the details, available on qantas.com
Yours sincerely,
The Qantas Frequent Flyer Team

A change to selected Any Seat Award bookings
From 1 July 2014, we're removing the ability to make an Any Seat Award booking on Qantas flights using Classic Award booking classes3 ( X, Z, U or P). Existing bookings will not be affected by this change.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: QFF
I just got the same email.

What is a JASA? I've only used points for international upgrades and points + pay bookings.

There is a link on the 'Airline Earning Table' page titled "New earn rates apply (for Qantas & Jetstar Airlines from 1 July 2014.)" which currently leads to a 404 error page.

Working link:
http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...hanges-to-earn
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Himeno

What is a JASA?
Getting an Any Time Award seat at the Classic rate, with a bit higher cash component than booking a Classic award. It attracts SCs as if it were a cash booking. I think some people call it marginal ASA.

In other words, a very cheap way of earning SCs for a relatively small number of points and cash.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

More than what is a Jasa... what is it that the JASA is having the end of ( the apostrophe tells me there is something missing )

Qantas has had an anachronism that any seat awards have been able to be booked in an award booking class and then have earned miles and status credits as per a paid booking

The removal of this situation seems eminently sensible to me

Looking at the new earning table, Qantas has done something I thought would be almost impossible to try and get away with; it is making the scheme even worse value than it is now
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity; IHG Platinum, Accor All
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by harryhv
The company's financial troubles have hit the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, with a set of devaluations from 1 July.

Mileage earning on normal fares (aka "deep discount economy" in Qantas terminology) is down by about 30%.

SC's earnt on partner flights to/from Australia (Cathay, LAN etc) appear to be down by about half.
Another set of 'enhancements' that will see traditional QF business going elsewhere…
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Sorry this makes sense. Getting JASA's (or ASA's) at the classic award level was a loophole people were exploiting. I'm glad QF has gotten rid of this. Sorry to those that were doing it, but of all the changes announced, this - to me - is the "fairest"

And I know this view will be unpopular.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Sorry this makes sense. Getting JASA's (or ASA's) at the classic award level was a loophole people were exploiting. I'm glad QF has gotten rid of this. Sorry to those that were doing it, but of all the changes announced, this - to me - is the "fairest"

You have my support in that view. I agree this is sort of "fair" as in "fair enough".
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: QFF

I never used them anyway. It's the other things I'm having problems with. and it gets worse the more I look at it.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
[ edited ]
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
More than what is a Jasa... what is it that the JASA is having the end of ( the apostrophe tells me there is something missing )

Qantas has had an anachronism that any seat awards have been able to be booked in an award booking class and then have earned miles and status credits as per a paid booking

The removal of this situation seems eminently sensible to me

Looking at the new earning table, Qantas has done something I thought would be almost impossible to try and get away with; it is making the scheme even worse value than it is now
It has made the programme perhaps marginal at best.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:01 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Moved posts not related to JASA to the appropriate thread. So please stay on topic, the discussion about the earning changes can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...-airlines.html [/mod hat]
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

the ASA awards (biz or first) attracted a significant premium of $$ over standard classic awards.

the extra couple hundred dollars you paid are no different than a jetstar bundle... you paid to receive those credits and points.

no loophole there.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
the ASA awards (biz or first) attracted a significant premium of $$ over standard classic awards.

the extra couple hundred dollars you paid are no different than a jetstar bundle... you paid to receive those credits and points.

no loophole there.
I disagree. It is very different to purchasing a fare which is eligable for mileage accrual. I am surprised that these have lasted so long as it is
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I disagree. It is very different to purchasing a fare which is eligable for mileage accrual. I am surprised that these have lasted so long as it is
please outline the difference?

jetstar = base fare +$$ to get points and SCs
qantas ASA = base fare +$$ to get points and SCs
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
please outline the difference?

jetstar = base fare +$$ to get points and SCs
qantas ASA = base fare +$$ to get points and SCs
There is no base fare being paid, just an award booking marginally higher in points than a normal award booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.