Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas axes SAA codeshare [PER-JNB]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LOLABUNNY
It's a silly way to do it via Dubai.Out of the East Coast and Adelaide You can now fly Singapore Airlines to Singapore and connect onto JNB that way and it connects perfectly on the way back too.ADL is daylight ex SIN 5 times a week by the way for the South Australian Market.Just get a Velocity Membership if you don't already have one and any qualifying SQ Economy Fare Class gets points.
For Perth if points are not an issue there's Air Mauritius via Mauritius more sensible than any other option.
QF should either codeshare with them (and open up Mauritius as a destination), and switch PER-SIN to PER-KUL and connect to MH KUL-JNB.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Isochronous
QF should either codeshare with them (and open up Mauritius as a destination), and switch PER-SIN to PER-KUL and connect to MH KUL-JNB.
When was the last time QF did something logical?

They could bring MK into oneworld as well.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Unless they start their own PER-JNB flight, either as a SYD-PER-JNB 747 service or tag from an A330 domestic I fear that PER residents, and to an extent ADL, will be asked to fly EK to DBX.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would have thought people would just simply book on the SAA flight itself rather than take a 4,400 miles detour
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would have thought people would just simply book on the SAA flight itself rather than take a 4,400 miles detour
Those of us who barely manage to retain OW Sapphire each year would really rather use a OW airline...

And after 14 years in the middle east, I think I would rather stop off elsewhere on my way to anywhere other than the middle east.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
There are rumours the QF63/64 SYD-JNB service will be canned in the upcoming cuts.

If this does happen, QF should hang their head in shame, considering the near monopoloy they had on this route, their superior product against SAA, and ME carriers were at a big disadvantage on this route due to the geographical placement of their hubs.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Those of us who barely manage to retain OW Sapphire each year would really rather use a OW airline...
I doubt that there is more than a small minority that would take thousands of miles in detours for the sake of ff miles
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
I guess every cloud really does have a silver lining...

On aa.com I'm now able to redeem AA miles for a PER-JNB award flight (via SYD). Previously this was not possible - because QF did not have a published fare that allowed that routing (which is a requirement for an AA All Partner Award)
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:48 am

Qantas must really think people are mad and will fly 2000 miles in almost the opposite direction to turn around and fly back 6800 miles rather than just fly 5200 on SAA
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MOR
There are rumours the QF63/64 SYD-JNB service will be canned in the upcoming cuts.

If this does happen, QF should hang their head in shame, considering the near monopoloy they had on this route, their superior product against SAA, and ME carriers were at a big disadvantage on this route due to the geographical placement of their hubs.
How is QF better than SA in J class? SA had flat beds for over 10 years already
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Qantas must really think people are mad and will fly 2000 miles in almost the opposite direction to turn around and fly back 6800 miles rather than just fly 5200 on SAA

Quite agree. If I had to reach South Africa from Perth I would seriously be looking at Singapore Airlines. The timings are quite good, I have actually done this trip and it was nice.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by thadocta
Who mentioned anything about QF axing flights to JNB? All that has been announced is the axing of the code- share with SA on the SA PER-JNB flights.
Originally Posted by MOR

If this does happen, QF should hang their head in shame, considering the near monopoly they had on this route, their superior product against SAA, and ME carriers were at a big disadvantage on this route due to the geographical placement of their hubs.
It's more than cancelling the QF codeshare on the SA-operated PER-JNB flights. QF is also cancelling the codeshare arrangement by which SA puts its code onto the QF-operated SYD-JNB flights. In other words, the entire codesharing alliance is being cancelled.

IIRC, QF's previous request to the ACCC IASC to extend the codesharing alliance was on the basis that these flights were more than the sum of their parts. Operational requirements on the route meant that aircraft had to be used that wouldn't be economically viable for either airline if operated alone. The codeshare (hard block, I think) changed that and made it possible for these non-stops to be operated at all.

So it will be interesting to see whether QF will now cancel the SYD-JNB flights. The timing of this announcement is curious, as it seems to be something that could have been announced as part of whatever raft of announcements is coming on Thursday.

Equally, it will be interesting to see in the longer term whether SA will be able to continue operating the PER-JNB flights.

I assume that the frequent flyer partnership between QF and SA, which seemed intended to support this codesharing alliance and no more, will now be withdrawn as well.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 24, 2014 at 12:05 am Reason: Correction as pointed out by perthite
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
IIRC, QF's previous request to the ACCC to extend the codesharing alliance was on the basis that these flights were more than the sum of their parts.
It seems to me that there is a common misconception that the issue is with the ACCC. The decision on the codesharing arrangements was made by the IASC.

See the Completed Cases page: http://www.iasc.gov.au/recent_cases/2012.aspx
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by perthite
It seems to me that there is a common misconception that the issue is with the ACCC. The decision on the codesharing arrangements was made by the IASC.

See the Completed Cases page: http://www.iasc.gov.au/recent_cases/2012.aspx
They need to go to the ACCC for things like anti trust and alliances (eg, QF/AA transpac JBA, QF/EK alliance) and IASC for access to bilateral route authorities (and codesharing counts towards route authority limits).
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Himeno
They need to go to the ACCC for things like anti trust and alliances (eg, QF/AA transpac JBA, QF/EK alliance) and IASC for access to bilateral route authorities (and codesharing counts towards route authority limits).
It has been the IASC that has been placing the restrictions on the codeshare arrangements. Example, this is from the IASC determination.

In the current matter, the Commission has serious concerns that the code share arrangement may not be of benefit to the public. The Commission has expressed its concerns in previous decisions. They relate to the entrenching ofQantas' position as the monopoly operator of direct services on the Sydney route and SAA's position as the monopoly operator of direct services on the Perth route, the way in which the operating carrier charges the marketing carrier for its block of seats, the weak competitive constraint on the parties' direct services posed by third country carriers, and the potential for the code share arrangement to increase barriers to entry.
http://www.iasc.gov.au/determination...012iasc106.pdf

It is the IASC saying this, not the ACCC (although the IASC does need to consult the ACCC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.