Qantas axes SAA codeshare [PER-JNB]

Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond

Might not be a surprise:

Qantas will abandon its alliance with South African Airways under which the airlines share flights between Australia and Johannesburg.
http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-axes-...rways-alliance
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Not a surprise no, but I wouldnt sign up to fly through DXB, or fly 4 hours east to fly 5 hours back to where I started!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perthite
Given Virgin Australia recent agreement with SAA and the regulatory issues it is not surprising the PER-JNB is to end. From the link above
< snip >
The Qantas-SAA alliance was due to expire in December this year, requiring both airlines to re-apply to the International Air Services Commission before it could continue into 2015.

"Regulators had previously indicated that an extension of the codeshare beyond December 2014 was unlikely, so winding it up earlier means we can create new options for customers travelling between Perth and Johannesburg" a Qantas spokesperson told Australian Business Traveller.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:14 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
"... so winding it up earlier means we can create new options for customers travelling between Perth and Johannesburg" a Qantas spokesperson told Australian Business Traveller"
Looking forward to those new options. I smell awesome points earning possibilities coming.

[mod hat] Thread title amended for clarity [/mod hat]
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
QF63/64 to become SYD-PER-JNB?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: QFF
I'm not sure a 747 is the right aircraft for AU-JNB, but until QF gets some 787s and CASA will allow any ETOPS over 180, it's either the 747 or no flight at all...
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

What aircraft do Qantas have that could do PER-JNB other than the 747s? Could the A330s get that far?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:43 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by theassassin
What aircraft do Qantas have that could do PER-JNB other than the 747s? Could the A330s get that far?
Unsure about the 330, but when VA flew MEL-JNB with their T7, their scheduled flight time was about 2 hrs longer than QF's SYD-JNB flight time with the 744. The VA flight had a long northerly track to follow the ETOPS requirement.

I assume QF will operate to JNB so long as the 744 still operates. I also assume the 380 will not do this route.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by og
Unsure about the 330, but when VA flew MEL-JNB with their T7, their scheduled flight time was about 2 hrs longer than QF's SYD-JNB flight time with the 744. The VA flight had a long northerly track to follow the ETOPS requirement.
Yep, the VA flight had to route north withing ETOPS 180 range of Diego Garcia because CASA won't approve anything more then ETOPS 180.
SYD-JNB can follow the great circle with ETOPS 330. (unless someone put an emergency strip on Heard Island)

QF had 330's on AKL-LAX for a while.
AKL-LAX 6504 mi
PER-JNB 5173 mi
SYD-JNB 6863 mi
With the right ETOPS allowance, a 330 could do (at least) PER-JNB.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:32 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
SYD-JNB can follow the great circle with ETOPS 330.....
Irrelevant for QF ops with the 744 (T = twin engine)
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by og
Irrelevant for QF ops with the 744 (T = twin engine)
and that was never the point anyone was talking about.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
and that was never the point anyone was talking about.
Granted - I was OTT.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:42 am

I find it surprising that QF cannot keep SYD-JNB viable, especially when fares on this route often go at a premium to similar length flights on the rest of the network. Anecdotally, Even now the SA sale has flights at $1599, whereas LAX is going for $1299.....but if the market is not there, QF as a private company with no government preference or support cannot keep flying routes for the sake of it.

There is only one organisation responsible if QF axes JNB - and that is the ACCC. Given the mess SAA is in (arguably worse than QF), there could be a real possibility that by the end of the year, there will be no non-stop flights between Australia and South Africa.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 3:56 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
I find it surprising that QF cannot keep SYD-JNB viable, especially when fares on this route often go at a premium to similar length flights on the rest of the network. Anecdotally, Even now the SA sale has flights at $1599, whereas LAX is going for $1299.....but if the market is not there, QF as a private company with no government preference or support cannot keep flying routes for the sake of it.

There is only one organisation responsible if QF axes JNB - and that is the ACCC. Given the mess SAA is in (arguably worse than QF), there could be a real possibility that by the end of the year, there will be no non-stop flights between Australia and South Africa.
Who mentioned anything about QF axing flights to JNB? All that has been announced is the axing of the code- share with SA on the SA PER-JNB flights.

Dave
Old Feb 22, 2014, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by seat_4D
Not a surprise no, but I wouldnt sign up to fly through DXB, or fly 4 hours east to fly 5 hours back to where I started!
It's a silly way to do it via Dubai.Out of the East Coast and Adelaide You can now fly Singapore Airlines to Singapore and connect onto JNB that way and it connects perfectly on the way back too.ADL is daylight ex SIN 5 times a week by the way for the South Australian Market.Just get a Velocity Membership if you don't already have one and any qualifying SQ Economy Fare Class gets points.
For Perth if points are not an issue there's Air Mauritius via Mauritius more sensible than any other option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.