Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-MEL-SIN : Luggage transferred?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
SYD-MEL-SIN : Luggage transferred?

Am I right in assuming my checked bag at Sydney will make it through to Singapore without it have to be collected at Melbourne?
Same ticket / itinery (business class / will be OW Emerald at the time). Flying into MEL, 2-3 hour layover and then onto SIN.

Know of a few airports where this isn't the case so want to be prepared.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are on a single ticketed itinerary, then your luggage will be transferred at Melbourne
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
At SYD T3 look for a check-in counter with the banner "Domestic Connection to International" or similar. (Not sure where it would be in SYD, ask if you can't see one[stress International connection]).

You check-in there, showing your PP/Travel documents etc and you won't see your luggage until Singapore.

Transit in MEL is easy, don't go down to arrivals, head up to the central departures area look to the left side of 'security' and follow the signs to "International".
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
At SYD T3 look for a check-in counter with the banner "Domestic Connection to International" or similar. (Not sure where it would be in SYD, ask if you can't see one[stress International connection]).

You check-in there, showing your PP/Travel documents etc and you won't see your luggage until Singapore.

Transit in MEL is easy, don't go down to arrivals, head up to the central departures area look to the left side of 'security' and follow the signs to "International".
We flew BNE-xMEL-LHR on QF29 and did exactly that in BNE and we had 2 seperate tickets BNE-MEL & MEL-LHR.

We flew in early in the morning and spent the day visiting friends and relatives and then had spa treatment & dinner in F lounge before our late night departure.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:22 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
In theory, yes, domestic to international transit is easy in MEL - so long as you know where you are going. Signage is not good and its easy to wander in wrong directions - or fail to find a critical sign at a "natural" split in the path. Once you are in the central hub, there are no good long distance "sight lines" where you can see your target in the distance. But I suppose this is deliberate so the shopping experience is enhanced.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
True - that's why I mentioned up, not down. To be more specific:

- If disembarking via Gates 1-12 head down the concourse and near the end on the left is a sparse corridor down which a 'travelator' can be seen. Head down this until you see an escalator in front of you going up. Take this and will find yourself in an area behind security. To the left of security is an exit heading landside. A sign on the roof above this exit indicates "International". Take this, then head right to Terminal 2.

- If disembarking via Gates 22-26+ head down the concourse turning right as it bends toward the end. Go further and you will see some stairs heading up. Take these and walk down another 50 meters. On the left, just before you get to security is an exit heading landside (same as in the previous paragraph). A sign on the roof above the exit indicates "International". Take this, then head right to Terminal 2.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you are on a single ticketed itinerary, then your luggage will be transferred at Melbourne
Why do you make this distinction? Have you had experience where Qantas will not through check to itself?

Last edited by deeruck; Aug 12, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
Why do I make this distinction? Have you had experience where Qantas will not through check to itself?
There is no statement in the OP that says that it relates to QF-QF

QF will check luggage through on a single ticketed itinerary

For other cases, more information was needed
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no statement in the OP that says that it relates to QF-QF
Very true. 'Twas my assumption based on his note that he is Emerald.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
Very true. 'Twas my assumption based on his note that he is Emerald.
People post things like that regardless of relevence though.

There is too many unknowns whether it be international-international , domestic-international, Qantas-OW, Qantas-other, other airline-Qantas or even no QF componant at all ( though in this case, why was it posted here? )

If it is QF-OW, then indeed, QF policy is to check luggage through even on separate tickets

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.