Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable wait times when calling Qantas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:46 am
Original Poster

I have been waiting for over 45 minutes and still no answer.
The frustration is I have AA Executive Platinum Status and Qantas Silver Status. By the end of July I have will have Qantas Platinum Status as well.
I am calling to book an international business class ticket.

I pay for all my travel myself and make multiple domestic and international flights each year and they are all in business class.

This waiting time seems unacceptable.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:58 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 747-444
I have been waiting for over 45 minutes and still no answer.
The frustration is I have AA Executive Platinum Status and Qantas Silver Status. By the end of July I have will have Qantas Platinum Status as well.
I am calling to book an international business class ticket.

I pay for all my travel myself and make multiple domestic and international flights each year and they are all in business class.

This waiting time seems unacceptable.
Sorry, calls are answered in order of QFF priority. AA status has no bearing, just as me calling AA does not.

One could argue that to book a J ticket you should get prioritised, but I presume QF expects you to book online or through a TA.

I notice that EY, BA etc. all have specific call centres for elites and J (EY) F (EY and BA) pax.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:46 am
Original Poster

I spent over an hour on the phone only to have a misinformed person try and create my ticket. They then asked if they can call me back which they did and told me the price of the ticket is determined where I call from instead of where I depart.

I hung up on her which was followed by an angry voicemail from her supervisor repeating the drivel.

It is 00:30 and my entire time has resulted in me spending nearly two hours dealing with qantas and I have no air ticket.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
I spent over an hour on the phone only to have a misinformed person try and create my ticket. They then asked if they can call me back which they did and told me the price of the ticket is determined where I call from instead of where I depart.

I hung up on her which was followed by an angry voicemail from her supervisor repeating the drivel.

It is 00:30 and my entire time has resulted in me spending nearly two hours dealing with qantas and I have no air ticket.
That's ridiculous! So much for wanting to gain more revenue!
Btw why didn't you use a TA or online?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This can be true

There are a couple of things

Depending on where the ticket is issued , depends on what the fuel surcharges are
Some fares are restricted based on where it can be issued.

What are you trying to book ; can this not be booked online?

Some airlines ( such as EK ) do have priority lines for busines/1st class bookings, though this seems to be the exception ( AA does not for example )
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Sorry, calls are answered in order of QFF priority. AA status has no bearing, just as me calling AA does not.

One could argue that to book a J ticket you should get prioritised, but I presume QF expects you to book online or through a TA.

I notice that EY, BA etc. all have specific call centres for elites and J (EY) F (EY and BA) pax.
FWIW, AA seems to acknowledge Emerald status for call handling if your status is already listed on a booking. I've had flights answered by EXP agents when calling before. I noticed this about 2 years ago, but not had another separate booking to test where I'm not accompanied by a real EXP.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: QFF
Based on your other thread about this, it's a DONE4.

You have two ways to get the "right" price. Use the online booking tool or call the AA GSA in South Africa.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:32 pm

If , as indicated, it is an OneWorld Around the World fare, then it definitely is a fare which matters where it is issued. Not only that, but for one of these fares, why on earth would you want it issued by Qantas ; that is just a recipe for lots of bonus fuel surcharges

If issued in Australia, then the ex Australia fare will apply; if they are charging the AU price plus Qantas's fuel fines, then that is perfectly correct
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:43 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If indeed it is a xONEx ticket, I would set up the booking through the AA RTW desk. The longest I have ever been on hold is 45 seconds. These guys seem to deal with these and similar tickets all the time and don't need to go running to a supervisor whenever the is a problem.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
Based on your other thread about this, it's a DONE4..
The other thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...ompetence.html
As above, why have QF Australia ticket an ex South Africa itinerary & fare ?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:15 pm

Based on the other thread, it seems that Qantas agent was completely correct and the poster was the one entirely in error

The pricing is , as per the agent, based on country of issue, so if issued in Australia, the Australia price applies. No need for the agent to humour the passenger and recheck the rules again. It doesn't matter where one phones from - if in ZA at the time , then why not just go to a local ZA agent

That there was a 54 minute hold is an annoyance that can occur with Qantas.

If wanting an ex ZA pricing, need to either book online or use an agent in ZA

I would go with the AA ATW desk and the AA agent in ZA to avoid the fines of QF
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

This is the fourth DONE4 in 12 months where I am departing SA and phoning Qantas while in Aus. All of them, to date, have charged me a base fare of R48,000.00

Prior to my attempted booking I had called earlier and a different person I spoke to confirmed that departing SA incurs a base fare of R48,000.00

Also, I wasn't happy I get left an irate voice message from their call center supervisor at 00:30.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:36 pm

If they have, then the previous were wrong to do so

If issued in a country other than country of departure, then the higher of the fare of departure country or fare of issuing country is due to be charged

From rule 10 in the OW rule sheet http://www.oneworld.com/documents/10...f-11335d4c5501

Originally Posted by OW
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within the European Common Aviation Area (ECAA)/Switzerland.
The same wording appears in the Sales Restrictions when checking the fare rules on EF

This so called "drivel" that the supervisor quoted, is quite factual , accruate and in no way "drivel"

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 18, 2013 at 5:45 pm
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
And as posted on your duplicate rant on the oneworld board, base fares from South Africa have recently increased.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
I think the OP's original beef of a 45 minute waiting time is very much a legitimate subject for a rant.

Also, if QF called back and left a, er, unconstructive message - if that happened to me, I'd be taking the recording to QF complaints.

If you go here AFF Qantas forum and post your QF service experience in a straightforward and calm manner, the QF rep RedRoo might pick it up and investigate for you. In that forum, the QF rep is pretty pro-active in taking up posters bad experiences.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.