Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas' latest changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When making purchases, the approach of who will give me the best value is more sensible than loyalty imo
Best value is a rather relative concept. The trite phrase "one man's trash is another man's treasure" comes to mind.

Typically QF and their FF program have offered lower benefits to the customer who travels long haul Y or Y+ multiple times per year.

Just one of the components that go into the equation for calculating the personal value of crediting flights or CC purchase value to the QF program. Or not doing so.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Best value is a rather relative concept. The trite phrase "one man's trash is another man's treasure" comes to mind.

Typically QF and their FF program have offered lower benefits to the customer who travels long haul Y or Y+ multiple times per year.

Just one of the components that go into the equation for calculating the personal value of crediting flights or CC purchase value to the QF program. Or not doing so.
it is still not loyalty if the only reason for doing so is by having reasonably assessed that the value is there in crediting to QF which was what I was referring to; this is simply a sensible business decision

Loyalty would be the using QFF regardless of having assessed that another airline would now be a better choice to use or that another scheme would be better value

Like a certain muppet I can recall using QFF regardless due to being "loyal"
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Well, to me , that isn't being loyal. From dictionary, to be loyal is is to be faithful and true. What you are describing is just a business relationship on each side of "if you do X then I'll give you Y"

Loyalty isn't something that is purchased

When making purchases, the approach of who will give me the best value is more sensible than loyalty imo
I think I'm agreeing with you, but we are talking about 'loyalty' in the context of airline 'loyalty programs' here aren't we - as opposed to the loyalty one gets from the family dog? #

In which case the loyalty - both ways - is most definitely purchased. By the customer who consistently buys an airline's tickets for the program benefits it brings and by the airlines who spend big to provide lounges and other services for their 'loyal' customers.

I guess there are some whom schedule is not an issue and have the funds - or their company's funds - to only fly QF or some other single airline. But I don't think the airlines are seeking a strict monogamous relationship via their loyalty programs. But they do their commercial best to keep regular flyers in the fold. Works with me and QF to a point, then I happy skip over to Star Alliance and my Air Canada "Super Elite 100K" loyalty status with them.

# Mind you, I think our own fleabag's loyalty is heavily contingent on the provision of meals and a sheltered bed at night
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by RooFlyer
I think I'm agreeing with you, but we are talking about 'loyalty' in the context of airline 'loyalty programs' here aren't we - as opposed to the loyalty one gets from the family dog? #

In which case the loyalty - both ways - is most definitely purchased. By the customer who consistently buys an airline's tickets for the program benefits it brings and by the airlines who spend big to provide lounges and other services for their 'loyal' customers.

I guess there are some whom schedule is not an issue and have the funds - or their company's funds - to only fly QF or some other single airline. But I don't think the airlines are seeking a strict monogamous relationship via their loyalty programs. But they do their commercial best to keep regular flyers in the fold. Works with me and QF to a point, then I happy skip over to Star Alliance and my Air Canada "Super Elite 100K" loyalty status with them.

# Mind you, I think our own fleabag's loyalty is heavily contingent on the provision of meals and a sheltered bed at night
People post complaining about changes and how they affect loyal Qantas customers ( not this thread but have seen it ) , but I wouldn't class loyalty as being something where someone goes "if you keep giving me X, I will keep being loyal" as loyalty
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
People post complaining about changes and how they affect loyal Qantas customers ( not this thread but have seen it ) , but I wouldn't class loyalty as being something where someone goes "if you keep giving me X, I will keep being loyal" as loyalty
Aren't loyal customers the ones who go "even if you don't keep giving me X I will keep being loyal"
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Aren't loyal customers the ones who go "even if you don't keep giving me X I will keep being loyal"
that would indeed be loyalty
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Personally I would describe them as foolish customers not loyal customers.

Its not a marriage. Its just buying air transport services.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Well in my case the loyalty has been to the One World Alliance rather than a specific airline. From there it is a question of which airline provides the best business deal on the day. I have taken 5 non-OW flights in 8 years, 4 of which were on 3K.

I understand that those who fly on a regular basis (or should I say excessively ) have the option to retain status/benefits across a range of airlines/alliances. Most of us don't have that luxury. And status does provide a range of benefits.

In the case of Qantas, they have selected a frequent flyer business model that historically has not been useful to me, though I have regularly flown on QF aircraft and maintain an account. I suppose one could say that given my current situation, QF have been generous with me. The current changes will not likely change my position, though my infrequent domestic flights will now likely be credited to the QF program. However, the changes which may occur to the AA program will have to be evaluated when/if they occur.

And if QF were less SYD-centric maybe I would have differing conclusions.

YMMV as you wander differently

Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.