Wiki Posts
Search

HKG F lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
HKG F lounge

What's it like? Got anything that The Wing doesn't?
Old May 31, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
It's a fairly large open seating space for the most part, on the same balcony level as CX The Wing First Class. There is a reasonable buffet, with a more secluded dining/working area on the right once you've passed reception.

IMO, CX The Wing First Class (even the Business Class section) beats the QF International First lounge hands down.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Often less crowded than the Wing, and some food differences (both good and bad). Agree it isn't as plush as the Wing, but still one of the better F lounges around the world (better than the SQ F lounge at HKG, for example). The crowding is a big problem for CX and really degrades their lounges these days. Good think CX never flew the Concorde
Old May 31, 2013, 4:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The WING F renovation was needed, but it (IMHO) is no longer "inviting" - same with some of the staff. Maybe it's the way CX is managing crowding. Still, the balcony location and view are winners.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Can you tell me more about the food differences?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
I did a bit of a lounge hop the other day, but didn't look at the QF lounge food (it was just closing).

Not surprising at all that a recently renovated Flagship lounge (CX) will be generally better than a foreign airline's. I loved the Champagne Lounge at The Wing (Moet Brut or Rose; or Veuve Clicquot) and The Haven (meals) had a great offering. A la carte menu was: soup; marinated beef tenderloin; or baked black cod; or cheese and watercress cannelloni; or Chinese Country Pot. Buffet range of eastern dishes etc (that doesn't do it justice- but I didn't note individual dishes); cold appetisers and a wide selection of sweets, fruits and cheeses.

QF F lounge I frankly found more 'relaxing' and more conducive to doing some work. Just the atmosphere. CX The Wing had the feel of a Gentlemen's Club; QF First felt like a relaxing comfy Lounge.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF F food is mostly OK but not up to the CX F "catered by Peninsula" standards and has less choice. A couple of items were better, for example ice cream and pavlova which of course CX doesn't have.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

CX F Wing were very inviting and accommodating to us when on QF128 the other night. A la carte dining looked good but takes 20 mins. The buffet was same as before the renos- fills a hole but that's it. It can feel a little cold/sterile in atmosphere when it's empty. I kept meaning to go over to QF F but never managed it, so CX F can't have been too bad.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:02 am

Programs: QFF
I went to the Wing last night before QF128, mainly so I could get a cabana and wash off the day's sweat and dirt The cabana was fantastic! We ate there too, the food was good. I had the scallops off the a la carte menu and had a look at (and ate some of) the buffet. There was a good range of food, savoury and desserts. But when we left the restaurant bit the rest of it was packed. Unless I'm missing something it is tiny, particularly for a home airport flagship lounge. We went to the QF First lounge after that, buffet food only but a nice range including more Asian options than the Wing strangely enough. It feels more spacious and open but is nothing like the First lounges in MEL and SYD. If I didn't want a cabana I'd stick to QF but the CX cabana are so amazing that if you need a wash you have to try to get one!

Mardi
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
HKG F lounge

IMHO The Wing is far superior in every respect, decor, food, ambience, washroom facilities. It's what I would expect of the home F lounge of an airline.
I usually go to The Wing first and then head over to QF F closer to boarding time.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I am traveling with my wife ICN to HKG on CX in J, connecting to BA in I for HKG-LHR. BA website tells me to use the QF Business Lounge, based upon my ticket, I guess. But I am also ow Emerald (from AA EXP). Can I use either of the CX or QF F Lounges?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:06 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by relangford
I am traveling with my wife ICN to HKG on CX in J, connecting to BA in I for HKG-LHR. BA website tells me to use the QF Business Lounge, based upon my ticket, I guess. But I am also ow Emerald (from AA EXP). Can I use either of the CX or QF F Lounges?
EXP will get you any OW Flounge access (or even J lounge if you prefer).
Old Jun 7, 2013, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Might be main course in The Wing, then spa, then to QF for Pavlova if I have time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.