Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas commitment to Asia Business Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas commitment to Asia Business Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:21 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Lucky_man
I could accept an argument that eventually as cities get smaller they are going to have less direct connectedness. The only problem with that is that SQ, CX, MH can make direct international flights to this backwater but QF can not.

Granted these carriers have an advantage that they only have one airport to seriously consider in their home countries.
Wrong, where they have an advantage is the ability funnel passengers from backwater cities onto onward destinations beyond their hub. Very few SQ passengers from ADL terminate their journey at SIN, but instead travel onwards to other destinations. This is where "mid-point" carriers have an advantage over "end-of-line" carriers

Of course, if QF had flights from SIN, BKK, KUL and NRT to multiple destinations in Europe, Asia and Africa, then QF could have easily made ADL (and other cities) work, but they don't.

Dave
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Thedocta,

I get your point and agree - though a lot of passengers to go no further than Singapore or HKG etc. But the combination of the local and the through traffic would be very beneficial.

When I look around my work mates and colleagues many have been some where in Asia several times in the last year but few have been to Europe or US. I don't think that is unusual - and I think QF are missing this opportunity - but they may have no chance to win it either.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Amelorn
Edit; addendum: I was somewhat shocked to see SIN relegated to a lesser outpost while QF chases traffic to Europe. (armchair CEO mode) Were I in charge, I'd rather expropriate my portion of Asia-OZ traffic rather than go after traffic into/from the economically beleaguered Eurozone.
I think the issue (as armchair CEO) is the other carrier needs to see some benefit. Has been reported in the press that QF negotiated deals with MH (at least twice), CX and I believe even SQ - but none came to fruition. Then they looked at RedQ, which then seemingly got blocked by SQs political moves... then EK comes along.

EK adds a lot into Europe, but I agree it does leave QF short in Asia.

As for the planes, I think we need to reserve judgement until we see the new A330 config promised by AJ... Most of the refurbed birds 6 ERs are needed for the longer hops)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.