Search

QF Gold access to BA Lounges at LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
QF Gold access to BA Lounges at LHR?

Hi all,

Still getting my head round the ramifications of the QA/EK link up.

As a QF Gold/OW Sapphire living in regional UK, I've been used to getting BA lounge access any time I'm flying BA, whether it has a QF codeshare or not.

Maybe a dumb question, but will this continue?
I've read forums and websites but can't really see the answer.

The showers etc at LHR are important to me when returning from a long haul and waiting for my onward flights.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by mandolino
Hi all,

As a QF Gold/OW Sapphire living in regional UK, I've been used to getting BA lounge access any time I'm flying BA, whether it has a QF codeshare or not.

The showers etc at LHR are important to me when returning from a long haul and waiting for my onward flights.
Lounge access as a oneworld Saphire member (yeah exception is if you are AA Platinum) means you can get lounge access if you are next flying on a oneworld airline.
The QF\EK alliance will not have an affect on this benefit.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
So long as BA and QF remain in oneworld,
and you retain your QF Gold access,
you will have no problems
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: QFF
Hi all,

QF Gold and Platinum can still access BA lounges under oneworld rules. It is Qantas Club members who aren't Gold or Platinum that can't.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:48 am
Original Poster

OK, thanks all. That's a relief. In my particular circumstances, the lounge access at Heathrow is a biggie.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:22 am

On the QF website they still list the BA lounges as associated lounges in Heathrow. Perhaps the EK lounge is too small at LHR to accommodate QF pax?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Loosely related is the news that for QP members, they will now be directed to the American Airlines Admiral Club at LHR T3 - see this link. Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald cardholders scan still access BA Galleries when travelling on an eligible oneworld flight.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
On the QF website they still list the BA lounges as associated lounges in Heathrow. Perhaps the EK lounge is too small at LHR to accommodate QF pax?
The EK lounge is in Terminal 3; the majority of BA flights leave from T5 (and there are now once more BA services from T1, too). For most QF Frequent Fliers flying from Heathrow on BA tickets, access to the EK lounge would not be relevant or helpful.

As for whether QF passengers flying from Terminal 3 can choose either the EK or BA/QF lounge, I guess they can, dependent on the type of ticket they are travelling on.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:58 am
Original Poster

For most QF Frequent Fliers flying from Heathrow on BA tickets, access to the EK lounge would not be relevant or helpful
Right enough, but it's handy to know when heading down to Australia on a QF fare. For flyers based in "regional" UK, LHR is more a transit than a destination, though you sometimes wonder if the terminal designers spent much time on that aspect.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:56 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The EK lounge is in Terminal 3; the majority of BA flights leave from T5 (and there are now once more BA services from T1, too). For most QF Frequent Fliers flying from Heathrow on BA tickets, access to the EK lounge would not be relevant or helpful.

As for whether QF passengers flying from Terminal 3 can choose either the EK or BA/QF lounge, I guess they can, dependent on the type of ticket they are travelling on.
You cannot access an EK lounge unless you are flying EK or QF anyway, even with QF status. T5 is BA only, so only has BA lounges, which you can access with QF status.

T3 has EK/QF flights, so can access EK, or OneWorld (if flying QF) lounges with QF status.

Right enough, but it's handy to know when heading down to Australia on a QF fare. For flyers based in "regional" UK, LHR is more a transit than a destination, though you sometimes wonder if the terminal designers spent much time on that aspect.
Note the new changes to earnings on BA down to 0.25 for discount economy when crediting to QF.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Note the new changes to earnings on BA down to 0.25 for discount economy when crediting to QF.
Ouch! Thanks for the heads up.
I might have to start accruing status on BA EC. Plenty of Avios via Amex but no status.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nux
Ouch! Thanks for the heads up.
This is not a change on the vast majority of BA discount economy flights, if being credited to QFFF.

As I read it, the change is only for those exceptional routes (ie the Kangaroo route) on which you could in the past fly BA discount economy and earn 100% in QFFF. This simply aligned these flights with what you'd earn if you flew the QF flight number, consistently with the spirit of the JSA.

All other BA discount economy flights only credited at 25% anyway - so no change.

The minimum points guarantee is being withdrawn, but anything that earned that little hardly mattered anyway.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:52 am
Original Poster

those exceptional routes (ie the Kangaroo route) on which you could in the past fly BA discount economy and earn 100% in QFFF.
OK, I wasn't monitoring it that closely. That was what I was doing - I was miffed at not getting any BA points on those flights so switched to Qantas FF, on the advice of some chap called "Globaliser" , IIRC , a long time ago and on another travel board far far away.

It worked out well.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
OK, I wasn't monitoring it that closely. That was what I was doing - I was miffed at not getting any BA points on those flights so switched to Qantas FF, on the advice of some chap called "Globaliser" , IIRC , a long time ago and on another travel board far far away.

It worked out well.
It was good when it was good. But times moved on.

You can now earn BA miles (ie Avios) on discount economy fares - and earn at 100% at that, together with very generous bonuses for being a higher tier member if you are. And QF has become ever more stingy, arrogant and unfriendly with every passing year.

To the extent that I've now abandoned QFFF. I got to lifetime Silver and I'm now simply running off my residual balances as and when I can (although not rushing to do so). I'll still fly QF when it makes sense, and I have the cushion of a few QF-specific benefits from Silver, but the party's well and truly over for me.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:47 am
Original Poster

I'm lifetime silver QF and was thinking of hanging on for life time Gold (another 1900 SCs) but in the same time I'd probably reach a "lounge access" status on BA (from my current "no status" but 100,000s of Avios) which is the main thing forme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.