Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

What time does Int'l check-in at Sydney OPEN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What time does Int'l check-in at Sydney OPEN?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
My only question is, as i'll presumably have to exit and re-enter through customs, how early am I able to do that? I will not have any check-in bags, if that makes a difference, and I could do online check-in if that is available.
Since it is same day return, you should get both WLG-SYD and SYD-WLG boarding passes at check in at WLG. Even if for some reason they are unable to do this, you can skip immigration and get the return BP at the lounge.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by eminere
Check-in at MEL T2 should be open from 3.30am to midnight.
Originally Posted by DH188
Yes, but on the same page:

"Note: Check-in for Qantas International flights is 3 hours before departure."
It sounds like the timings on the linked page need updating. Applying the 3 hour before departure rule (and check in close 1 hour before departure), coupled with flight times, I'd guess MEL T2 check in should be open from 0430-1020 and 1315-1730.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:52 am

Anyone know if SYDNEY Terminal 1 still has all day checkin if flying Quantas out and you are checking luggage? Can't find info if trial period is over.

I would like to get to the lounge 5 hours before departure for a SYD-DFW-LIT itinerary. Flying economy but have a Citi AA Exec card for the QF lounge.

I am switching to AA for DFW-LIT final segment if that matters for the all day check in.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Qantas does indeed have all day check-in at SYD T1. A trial was announced about 12 months ago and it hasn't finished. Give Qantas a call to double-check that it hasn't quietly been removed but I used it in July with no issues.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-all-d...ts-from-sydney
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Does anyone know what the earliest bag-drop time is for the 22.05 SYD-MEL flight? As it only leaves at 10 p.m. and I will have checked out from my hotel room half a day earlier I am keen on dropping my bags around lunchtime. I will be travelling in ´business class if this is any concern.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:03 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by planestupid
Does anyone know what the earliest bag-drop time is for the 22.05 SYD-MEL flight? As it only leaves at 10 p.m. and I will have checked out from my hotel room half a day earlier I am keen on dropping my bags around lunchtime. I will be travelling in ´business class if this is any concern.
You won't be able to check in bags at lunchtime for a 10PM flight, from memory its T-4 hours for domestic flights at SYD, although it may be T-6.

Last edited by markis10; Jan 11, 2016 at 3:46 am
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
You should be able to check-in online 24 hours before. That may allow you to simply bag drop your bags at SYD.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by markis10
You won't be able to check in bags at lunchtime for a 10PM flight, from memory its T-4 hours for domestic flights at SYD, although it may be T-6.
That's not my experience. I've checked in bags in the early AM hours for an evening flight, both from MEL and CBR. Can't see why it can't be done in SYD.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:36 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edy4eva
That's not my experience. I've checked in bags in the early AM hours for an evening flight, both from MEL and CBR. Can't see why it can't be done in SYD.
That is exactly my experience at Sydney in the last year, tried using self check to get a tag and computer said no, went to service desk and was told too early for baggage acceptance, around 8 AM for a 6PM departure. Bag check policy is location specific in this context, presumably due to the varying storage facilities each location may have.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Early bag drop time does vary by airport and for some airports by the security threat level (which is government mandated). Hence the variation with apparently "random" changes to how early bags can be left for the same airline QF often provides an earlier bag drop as an informal WP benefit.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by number_6
Early bag drop time does vary by airport and for some airports by the security threat level (which is government mandated). Hence the variation with apparently "random" changes to how early bags can be left for the same airline QF often provides an earlier bag drop as an informal WP benefit.
What's "WT" please?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
What's "WT" please?
Now I'm confused.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
What's "WT" please?
I presume you mean "WP".

If so, that's the Oz shorthand for "Platinum" frequent flyers used on several forums on the interwebs.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...qf-status.html
Old Sep 20, 2023, 12:54 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Is QF still running all day check in at SYD?
I've been told by phone agent it is 3 hours now, however, not sure if it was true. Need to change a seat. Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Is QF still running all day check in at SYD?
I've been told by phone agent it is 3 hours now, however, not sure if it was true. Need to change a seat. Thanks.
SYD airport has always allowed you to checking much earlier such as 5 hours before your flight.

The 3 hour limitations of MEL is more related to Melbourne Airport and the arrangements with baggage staff, less so the carrier.
I’m sure there was a thread on this back in 2019 on FlyerTalk.

The best bet for verification is to get in contact with Sydney airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.