Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

What time does Int'l check-in at Sydney OPEN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze

I'll be flying to Singapore in business at 15.50 on a Saturday. What is the earliest time that day I'll be allowed to drop off my bag? I browsed through the Qantas web site but to no avail. Thanks, ps
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I think that Qantas has one check-in area for all their flights and that they will check you in and accept your luggage any time... But since I do not fly them internationally, I cannot swear on that...
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:19 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF at SYD and MEL allow check-in at any time the same day for international flights (but not overnight). At overseas locations such as LHR and HKG the limit is 3 hours prior to flight departure and it is fairly rigorously enforced; luckily for you SYD has no such limitation.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

I've been at SYD early to check in and the F checkin counter was open at 0445 or so when we arrived. Problem was that passport control only opened at 0500 (ish) and so we could not go through to the lounge until it opened.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Question answered - thank you guys!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
So to be clear, if I have a Qantas flight at to SIN at 1650 and I am a one world emerald I could arrive around mid day in time to enjoy lunch and a leisurely afternoon in the lounge
shillard likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:08 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
So to be clear, if I have a Qantas flight at to SIN at 1650 and I am a one world emerald I could arrive around mid day in time to enjoy lunch and a leisurely afternoon in the lounge
The lounge is good, in fact great, however even I'd think carefully if 4 hrs in the lounge was a good idea. Too many temptations. The "May West rule" (AKA "if a little bit is good, more is better") works for a while, but there is a limit - especially if you intend to leave unassisted.
shillard and trooper like this.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I have been told by the SYD First Check in agent that she could not check me in 3.5 hours before the flight, we were 20 minutes before that and we were asked to wait at the chairs to complete our departure cards or we could look around the landside part of the airport until then.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:11 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I have been told by the SYD First Check in agent that she could not check me in 3.5 hours before the flight, we were 20 minutes before that and we were asked to wait at the chairs to complete our departure cards or we could look around the landside part of the airport until then.
I have had the same experience. Have been told quite clearly that "ordinary" check in staff cannot open check-in until T-3 hrs. This did imply that supervisors may be able to get things going earlier though (but I don't know).
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by planestupid
Question answered - thank you guys!
Not so fast, sorry

As with many things, there doesn't appear to be a hard-and-fast rule (or at least not observed hard-and-fast).

I've tried to check in J (as QF Platinum) between 3.5 and 4.5 hrs before departure in SYD and MEL a couple of times and was asked to come back later. In those cases I walked across to the F check in and they welcomed me through. But another time I went straight to the F check similarly early before flight and they, rather embarrassed, asked if I could wait in the armchairs for a bit.

I'd only count on certain J check-in 3 hrs before departure. If you need to check in earlier, by all means try your luck, but my experience tells me there is a chance of a wait.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Online check in no baggage check... straight through to the lounge
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by redslert
Online check in no baggage check... straight through to the lounge
But that's not what OP was asking about!!! OP was asking about baggage drop availability. So your "wisdom" is pointless...
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:15 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by number_6
QF at SYD and MEL allow check-in at any time the same day for international flights (but not overnight). At overseas locations such as LHR and HKG the limit is 3 hours prior to flight departure and it is fairly rigorously enforced; luckily for you SYD has no such limitation.
Since Altea has been introduced I believe bag drop at both Sydney and Melbourne is T-3 hours for all flights excluding US/UK which is 4. The F checkin desk has been known to nanny the bags on your behalf it its not too far out of the window.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by markis10
Since Altea has been introduced I believe bag drop at both Sydney and Melbourne is T-3 hours for all flights excluding US/UK which is 4. The F checkin desk has been known to nanny the bags on your behalf it its not too far out of the window.
What's Altea, markis10?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Altea is the Amadeus based product that Qantas use, amongst other things, for Check-in and seating in the period leading to a flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.