Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

What time does Int'l check-in at Sydney OPEN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What time does Int'l check-in at Sydney OPEN?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by markis10
Since Altea has been introduced I believe bag drop at both Sydney and Melbourne is T-3 hours for all flights excluding US/UK which is 4. ....
LAX QF check-in has a sign posting that checkin opens at 2pm (so up to 9 hours prior to flight time) and this is for all classes/status (saw that sign as recently as a few months ago). LHR definitely is strict about the 3 or 4 hour rule. At SYD I have personal experience of checking a bag 5 or 6 hours prior to flight time, but that was circa 2010. So lots of conflicting info and results, varying by both airport, date and maybe even FF status or how much they like you
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by serfty
Altea is the Amadeus based product that Qantas use, amongst other things, for Check-in and seating in the period leading to a flight.
Thanks, Serfty (had a squiz at your 'utilities' too. Useful. )
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:27 am

Any update on this? I read that QF was trialling all day check in.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: QF SG
Originally Posted by number_6
QF at SYD and MEL allow check-in at any time the same day for international flights (but not overnight). At overseas locations such as LHR and HKG the limit is 3 hours prior to flight departure and it is fairly rigorously enforced; luckily for you SYD has no such limitation.
MEL certainly does NOT have all day QF check in. They open 3 - 3.5 hours before the flight.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by bmchris
Any update on this? I read that QF was trialling all day check in.
Check-in at SYD T1 is open from 4.00am AEST daily.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by bacook
MEL certainly does NOT have all day QF check in. They open 3 - 3.5 hours before the flight.
Check-in at MEL T2 should be open from 3.30am to midnight.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by eminere
Check-in at MEL T2 should be open from 3.30am to midnight.
Yes, but on the same page:

"Note: Check-in for Qantas International flights is 3 hours before departure."
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by DH188

Ah you're right!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by DH188

Where exactly is that note?

In the second half of last year Qantas announced a trial of all day check-in at SYD T1. I haven't seen anything to say it's ended.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: QF SG
Originally Posted by danger
Where exactly is that note?

In the second half of last year Qantas announced a trial of all day check-in at SYD T1. I haven't seen anything to say it's ended.
It hasn't but while this thread is about Sydney, an earlier poster said Melbourne also had all day check in which is NOT the case and it was that information that was being corrected.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by bacook
It hasn't but while this thread is about Sydney, an earlier poster said Melbourne also had all day check in which is NOT the case and it was that information that was being corrected.
That's right, the line I quoted was from the linked MEL info page.
The corresponding SYD page does not have that stricture.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Sorry this thread has made me a little confused for a status run I have in a couple of weeks; some guidance would be much appreciated.

I'm 40 SCs off requalifying for Gold so have booked a return WLG-SYD in two weekends time. Not relevant to this post, but I received a double SC offer so it'll be worth 80 SCs.

I've timed the status run to coincide with some travel my partner has WLG-SYD-HKG on QF, so we're booked on the same WLG-SYD flight. She will be travelling Premium Economy SYD-HKG so won't have lounge access so I was hoping to be able to guest her into the lounge and spend some time with her there before her flight on to HKG and my flight back to WLG.

This is where the potential problems arise. Our flight from WLG gets in at 0845 and my return flight doesn't depart until 1730. Before anyone asks, no, I don't mind spending that much time in the lounge/airport. I'll have plenty of work to do and am regularly in Sydney.

My only question is, as i'll presumably have to exit and re-enter through customs, how early am I able to do that? I will not have any check-in bags, if that makes a difference, and I could do online check-in if that is available.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
Our flight from WLG gets in at 0845 and my return flight doesn't depart until 1730. Before anyone asks, no, I don't mind spending that much time in the lounge/airport. I'll have plenty of work to do and am regularly in Sydney.

My only question is, as i'll presumably have to exit and re-enter through customs, how early am I able to do that? I will not have any check-in bags, if that makes a difference, and I could do online check-in if that is available.
If you're flying back to WLG on the same day, I can't see why you'd have to exit through customs. Why wouldn't you just be an international transit passenger in the same way that your partner is?
shillard likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
No need to exit customs/immigration.
Go with your partner through the Transfer Exit.
shillard likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Bear in mind though, as a QF status member, any person you guest into the lounge must be on the same flight as you. (While as a OneWorld status member, you can guest a person in the lounge as long as their next onward flight is on a OneWorld carrier).

The F Lounge staff has indicated that they will overlook the same flight requirement for QF Status members if the person doing the guesting is flying with Qantas but were applying the rules as written when I (flying on CX) wanted to guest a friend (not flying CX).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.