Wiki Posts
Search

Airport Self Checkin and Bag Drop

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Airport Self Checkin and Bag Drop

For the first time I thought I would try the airport checkin and bag drop system rather than going to a counter.

I had booked a return flight to Perth, as a return flight to Perth. The segments were ADL-PER and PER-MEL-ADL. The stop in PER was about 18 hours and the stop in MEL about 1 hour.

When I went to check in it would only offer me to check in ADL-PER and PER-MEL together or all three segments together. It did not show where my luggage was going and did not offer a luggage receipt (using Q tag).

With some assistance I got it sorted out, the bag was in fact going to MEL but they were able to reroute it to come off at Perth - and it did. I was told there is no other way than to get assistance from a counter.

But this is hardly a complex or unusual situation. Have I been misled or done something stupid - is there a way to check in and bag drop for this flight situation. Any help appreciated.

Not a big problem whilst WP but one day I may be a NB again.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:47 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I've had many same-day SYD-MEL-SYD flights and it recognizes that as not a connection, but clearly an 18-hour connection is considered normal in PER (probably is ). More to the point the software is driven by the transit/stopover designation of the flight sectors as ticketed (which in turn affects certain fees, with stopover costing more than transit most of the time). Your ADL-PER-MEL-ADL was issued as all transits, apparently (saving you some money); would have been interesting to get an ADL-ADL baggage tag if you had chosen all 3 sectors (probably never see your bag again). That is one of the downsides of using the Q-tags, do you really know where your bag is going?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Amadeus sees connections of less than 24 hours as a transit typically (as per typical transit ticketing rules), so it would've thought MEL as your destination but then realised your stop in MEL is only 1 hour so offered to check you in for all 3.

It's a bit weird to be honest.

A same day SYD-MEL-SYD clearly has a destination of MEL - it's obvious when there's only 2 sectors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.