Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:34 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by eightblack
It wont be up to QF to decide who gets access to EK's F lounge. It will be up to EK. At present, this is their flagship lounge and access is only permitted to those who hold an F ticket (or who are a guest of a Gold member who is travelling in F, and you need to be on the same flight). Or I/O members (EK's Invitation Only program)

The challenge will be that if you are a QF Plat, Plat One or CL - you would be technically allowed access to the F lounge - (and you could also be on a Y or J ticket). I haven't drilled down into the rules as they relate to codeshare partners (because you can be sure if there is a way EK will wiggle out of offering this benefit, they will) due to wanting to preserve the F lounge for their own premium passengers, no matter what QF is prepared to pay per member per visit.

Irrespective of what the rules say - I can bet you that there will be some aggrieved QF members who will believe they are entitled to access the F lounge in DXB because they hold a valid QF ticket, with a QF flight number and their respective status permits access everywhere else (ie QF and OW lounges).
The easy way for EK would be to do it SQ style. Just have a separate "F" lounge for all those status pax slumming it in Y and J.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:35 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If there is a codeshare coming, then I would doubt very much that QF F passengers on an EK flight would be denied access

As far as access via status, lounge access with QF membership is available to OW lounges where flight is both marketed and operated by an OW airline , so without some special dispensation, there would be no lounge access

I would expect and hope that EK will keep the first lounge for those in 1st class and would suspect that any lounge access granted on status would likely be limited to business lounges
Dave, I didn't know you were such a comedian. I needed a good laugh today Your argument above is based on sound reasoning and logic. Something that we FT'ers are not renowned for.

You just wait my friend. There will be attempts everyday by QF Plats travelling in J who roll up to the door of the exalted F lounge in DXB, doing their very best arm waving routine. No matter what the rules say...
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by ButFli
So I guess those A380 gates at BNE disappeared, then?
BNE's air services are only rated category 9. A380's require a category 10 rated airport. Landing at an airport rated less than the spec recommended is at the PIC's discretion, eg. weather.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm sure you'll earn status credits and points if you book on QF and the EK metal has a QF flight number. Lets not nail the poor, wee Irishman to the cross just yet
I was talking about crediting to other Oneworld FFPs though.....

I credit to BA, since I had status with BA before I arrived here and don't intend to stay indefinately. If I'm not able to credit my QF/EK flights to my BA account and I won't get any Oneworld benefits either then what motivation is there for me to stick with QF/EK? None at all.

I doubt that I'm part of a huge market for QF, but still, it's something to consider as it might result in more lost custom. It's the reason that I try to avoid flying Jetstar for example.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by matthandy

I credit to BA, since I had status with BA before I arrived here and don't intend to stay indefinately. If I'm not able to credit my QF/EK flights to my BA account and I won't get any Oneworld benefits either then what motivation is there for me to stick with QF/EK? None at all.

I doubt that I'm part of a huge market for QF, but still, it's something to consider as it might result in more lost custom. It's the reason that I try to avoid flying Jetstar for example.
If it will be like other codeshares not on a oneworld airline then the answer will be no.
This is not just a QF issue but is common throughout the industry. Hence why I really hate flying on codeshares, eg. no chance of points upgrade, baggage allowance and lounge access.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by matthandy

EK code shares w KE but you can't credit to any other Sky Team member
EK code shares w SA but you can't credit to any other Star Alliance member

I doubt you will be able to credit any EK flights to BA regardless of the flight number associated
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
The easy way for EK would be to do it SQ style. Just have a separate "F" lounge for all those status pax slumming it in Y and J.
They don't do that for there own status customers, why would they do it for Quantas or OW's?? I would not be surprised if they open a smaller 3rd lounge in the future only for status pax in Y, similar to those found in T-1 (something like the Marhaba lounge but hopefully nicer w air con that works
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:44 pm

When you land in DXB is when the fun will start. Firstly, the place is already a zoo. The infrastructure is on its knees and the main departure bank of 12am to 6am looks like Grand Central station.
This I find surprising. Doesn't DXB garner some sort of awards for best airport (or prettiest) or something like that year in and year out? I mean, they're not top 5 but they are there? Not to mention the accolade of travel journalism that has written highly of the airport?

On top of that, where are these oil barons with their deep pockets? We're not to believe that despite DXB being heralded as one of the fastest growing hubs in the world, the top brass in the Emirates are not as silly as our Western counterparts in letting their hub become far too congested?

On top of that, EK has its own terminal in DXB, a brand new, shining and spanking example for the world, right? So I was lead to believe, anyway. (Naturally, there are issues as to whether any QF operated flights, if any, will actually use this terminal...)

Now I might be completely over reacting as the smart people at EK and QF may have figured this out already.
I wouldn't say a complete overreaction, but I'm concerned with the nitty gritty like you. Not because I won't immediately feel it (I don't fly as often as some here), but unless this QF/EK tie up is as effective as the VA/EY one, then little will be gained.

But we’ve been having lounge access issues at EK for the last 12+ months.
Again, I find this really unusual. EK is supposed to be one of the best airlines in the world. In fact, of the latest awards, QF hasn't made it into the top 10, but EK is still there, IIRC within the top 5 for that matter. I know that the awards usually neglect ground services, but given someone's got deep pockets (hey, increasing frequencies on routes isn't free) the fact that they are neglecting their lounges seems incongruous with the overall image and allure of the airline. Surely this can't be?

Redemptions are going to be another area where things will get interesting. EK’s redemption rate would have to be the most expensive out of virtually any program out there and are hopelessly out of kilter with the rest of the industry. Those QF people with massively high points balances might be soon shocked when they learn it’s going to cost them a trillion, zillion points to find an F seat from MEL-JFK. They won’t be points millionaires for very long.
It's already expensive enough (let alone difficult enough) for QFFers to get F seats on any route (most are obtained by Platinum request, on Classic Awards). You'd need to be a virtual point millionaire to regularly redeem F seats (especially if you need to have a significant other going with you). Most QFFers on the board right now are happy just to have a few JASAs, which are still fairly stable to obtain.

Who knows - EK could create a new membership tier (viz. a "Platinum" tier), perhaps at the 100k - 120k tier miles per year level. Not sure what that would entail (apart from possibly a vehicle to "enhance" Skywards).

But remember, the J product on EK’s 777 isnt lie flat, it’s lay flat (180-degrees versus 170-degrees).
This I didn't know. I thought all EK seats (except for possibly "regional" flights) in J were fully flat. Wasn't someone spruiking this all before, especially in response to EK vs QF or something?

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
Dubai airport, compared with Singapore and Hong Kong is a zoo. Shopping mall with gates is the kindest description.
I find SIN, especially T1, as your said description. Having not been to DXB, your description could only mean it is much, much worse at said airport. So much for the high acclaims that DXB has garnered (though that said, SIN has also much more acclaim than DXB).

3x4x3 in Economy Class on the 777.
Yet with more pitch than QF Y (34" reported). The new NZ 77Ws have the same 3-4-3 in Y but with "standard" Y pitch. Apart from a few sporadic ones on FT, doesn't seem to be too many people complaining there.

Boeing, whose biggest 777 customer is EK, has said that customer surveys commonly say that the comfort of Y flyers is more dependent on pitch than width.

They're probably all right unless you are a fat or big-muscly person.

Lack of Premium Economy Class - which is one of QF key drawcards.
Yeah, this is something I see as a problem. That said, VA/EY has a similar problem (VA have W, but EY do not, posing a "problem" for VA W flyers after a VA SYD-AUH flight), yet doesn't seem to be many complaints there, either.

EK can grow without QF, and will probably cut QF off easily. They have grown so easily already.
Which is why I really don't get why EK might be interested in a QF partnership. But, it may be happening.

...partner up with CX!
...And in other news, scientists have finally discovered a way to find out what women want.

Not going to happen - if anything CX will find anything on its own volition to get away from QF. The bridge was burnt ages ago. Alan Joyce could personally kiss ***es at CX and they'd still send him back with his nose cut off.

Perhaps if Alan Joyce wasn't such an arrogant %&%$#%&()*^%&())&@#$%^&* opening up JQ HK, and choosing MU as its Chinese partner, a QF/CX partnership would be possible.
Frankly I'm not really sure why or how Alan Joyce is still alive, and whether he deserves the right to be so, because your judgement is pretty spot on.

That said, no partnership with CX is happening for above said reasons.

Irrespective of what the rules say - I can bet you that there will be some aggrieved QF members who will believe they are entitled to access the F lounge in DXB because they hold a valid QF ticket, with a QF flight number and their respective status permits access everywhere else (ie QF and OW lounges).
Probably, but then look at VA Platinums - they can't access EY's F lounge (only their J lounge), and VA Golds can only access a contract lounge. They seem pretty happy.

I know the difference is precedent, but the dumb (non-FTers) are usually guided by a blue or green oval, not J or F lounge. Otherwise, why hasn't there been a barrage of firebombs and torpedos at QF Domestic "Business" lounges by Sapphires who can't access it by virtue of the name of the lounge? (Yes, I know it's been installed in the oneworld rules as an exception, but that was quite recent and dubious. Lack of access to AA lounges via various exceptions are also confusing to the non-seasoned traveller.)

In any case, I don't think anyone really wants to get on the bad side of authorities in DXB, or they will learn quickly. At least in SIN they only cane you; in DXB you can lose a limb or two (and let's not get into rights to legal representation).

Originally Posted by madrooster
BNE's air services are only rated category 9. A380's require a category 10 rated airport. Landing at an airport rated less than the spec recommended is at the PIC's discretion, eg. weather.
Geez - well that BNE publicity for A380-readiness was a waste of time and money.

If anything from this codeshare deal, QP members should be nervous (well, not really, they should just expect nothing).
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:45 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Slightly off topic, why is that people say that QF has burnt bridges with CX? I know in reality they have in that they don't really co-ordinate schedules or codeshare except out of necessity, but was there any one event that caused this to happen, or is it just general competition over the years?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:56 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Independent of the quality of the relationship between QF and CX:
Just a quick remark regarding the recurring theme here that a closer partnership with CX might make more sense for QF than a partnership with EK.
If you compare the lengths of flights along the Oz-HKG-Europe routes with the lengths of flights along the Oz-Dubai-Europe routes, it is obvious that QF has a bigger potential to earn money by making Dubai the port to Europe.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:43 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by cityflyer369
the lengths of flights along the Oz-HKG-Europe routes
8-9 hours + 10-12 hours
the lengths of flights along the Oz-Dubai-Europe routes
11-14 hours + 3-7 hours.

I'd rather connect through HKG.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
It just might be the usual FT (or other frequent flying forum) vs. general public thing, but it seems you're on the team of waning popularity. This seems especially so with the VA/EY partnership proving its success.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:54 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
EK with India, Africa and the Middle East has more advantages than CX has.
IMO it would be a lot easier and better for QFFer if QF increased its partnerships within the oneworld alliance but of course I doubt QF management really care about it.
Years ago when QF started the codeshare with AF, CX stated that they wished QF talked to them indicating they could work with QF.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
IMO it would be a lot easier and better for QFFer if QF increased its partnerships within the oneworld alliance but of course I doubt QF management really care about it.
They have, or did. That's why the London-centric strategy for Euro connections with BA, HEL services with AY from SIN, and several AA connections from the DFW and LAX centralisation strategy. The former is the bane of everyone here (no one likes connecting via LHR, QP members struggle for T5 lounge access connecting with BA, and generally not many people like BA), the next one is just a new opportunity (nothing forward after that except possible BA links back to LHR), and the last one has questionable success (especially since DFW came at the expense of SFO, which is now a kick-on flight from LAX on AA).

S7, RJ and JL will hardly contribute well to addressing the same global area as addressed by this possible tie-up, though that said there are hardly any partnerships in said geographical centres. AB is possible in Europe but they can't link outside Europe very well (so perhaps QF should fly to BER if they ever finish building the airport); AY is another similar consideration, but HEL is probably at a geographic disadvantage for someone flying into Europe that must connect via HEL (worse than LHR, even if transiting via HEL is better than LHR).

So of course it's not about increased oneworld partnerships really; it's just more partnerships with CX which people are incensed about.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Himeno
Originally Posted by anat0l
It just might be the usual FT (or other frequent flying forum) vs. general public thing, but it seems you're on the team of waning popularity.
I'd rather connect through HKG too. I prefer two flights where it's possible to get some sleep on both if I choose too. And besides, DXB is a total mess.

anat0l, take a look at some trip reports that feature DXB, even the lounges are a zoo, with people sleeping everywhere. It's honestly pretty awful and is nothing like the relative serenity and space of SIN or HKG, I'd even add BKK into the mix too to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.