Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226462202888

Based on what is coming out, I think perhaps QF/BA will maintain their partnership for flights onto LHR (perhaps even via DXB). For the rest of Europe, customers will be funnelled onto EK via DXB. I also think you will see QF 5/6 operating SYD-DXB, instead of SYD-SIN-FRA. This should facilitate the retirement of an additional 747. QF will most likely blame the curfew at Frankfurt causing flights to be unprofitable (with extensive delays in the past week).

EDIT: EK412 on Wednesday 5 September does not continue into Auckland and stays in Sydney all day. http://www.airlinehubbuzz.com/qantas...set-announced/

Thoughts? Another nail in the coffin of the flying Kangaroo or a path to recovery? Personally I'm not sold on a QF/EK partnership (except for the fact I can use QFF hopefully to fly the 380 in First Class to Dubai).

Wild rumours would suggest QF might pick up some 77W and 380 cheaply by partnering with EK (probability factor - 1%).

Last edited by Platinum A332; Aug 31, 2012 at 1:52 am Reason: Additional Information!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:05 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Anything that means one can fly SYD-CAI without a 9 hour layover at LHR in each direction is greatly welcomed by me.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
I don't see what either party has to gain, EK is already a powerhouse in Australia and doesn't need QF and there is little room for QF to do much flying to DXB. With QR they have a a robust European network but holes in the Australian network giving QF the opportunity to fly -SYD-DOH or BNE-DOH. Could QF reach Amman from Australia as RJ have a good Euro network.

If this happens hopefully BA will kick QF out of Oneworld as they have little value internationally and most major cities can be reached via CX.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:12 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by PotNoodle
If this happens hopefully BA will kick QF out of Oneworld as they have little value internationally and most major cities can be reached via CX.
So long as you believe that BA's London is the centre of the known world and that you also don't mind going via HKG to get anywhere.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Anything that means one can fly SYD-CAI without a 9 hour layover at LHR in each direction is greatly welcomed by me.
Wow, rather than flying TG to BKK and then Egyptair to CAI, you'd go all the way to London, wait 9 hours, and then fly back? That's the frequent flyer program tail wagging the flyer dog!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Wow, rather than flying TG to BKK and then Egyptair to CAI, you'd go all the way to London, wait 9 hours, and then fly back? That's the frequent flyer program tail wagging the flyer dog!
Or;

SYD-BKK QF
BKK-AMM-CAI RJ

with only a one-two hour connection in AMM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Not a fan of this. I think a QF/QR hook up would have been better because it would have helped each airline in a position of weakness.

QF hooking up with EK is like having the fox guarding the hen house. EK has significantly hurt QF and now hooking up with them???? I don't get it.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
I know a lot of people who fly Qantas because they don't trust/lilke EK... And these people are happy to pay Qantas more $$ for doing so (esp Business Class)

But when Qantas transfers them to an EK flight from DXB ... people realise that EK isn't really that bad ... wouldn't they just save the money and book everything through EK next time ?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyGreg
But when Qantas transfers them to an EK flight from DXB ... people realise that EK isn't really that bad ... wouldn't they just save the money and book everything through EK next time ?
Try QF FF points and SCs.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by og
So long as you believe that BA's London is the centre of the known world and that you also don't mind going via HKG to get anywhere.
I didn't say that, although BA is the centre of the alliance who are getting a knife in the back from QF.

Originally Posted by flyGreg
I know a lot of people who fly Qantas because they don't trust/lilke EK... And these people are happy to pay Qantas more $$ for doing so (esp Business Class)

That's the part that I am concerned about, people will fly QF SYD-DXB for example then EK from DXB-CDG and after the journey realise that EK is better so book with EK for their entire journey next time and accumulate miles.

It is obvious QF needs a carrier to pass on European traffic but isn't it possible to put some codes on CX flights? Oh no wait QF are stabbing them in the back again this time with Jetstar Hong Kong.

At least QF have realised that they can't handle every single route on their own metal after the SIN hub, RedQ etc.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:47 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting rumours developing on PPRuNe about QF getting some 777s ordered by EK in exchange for LHR slots. Possibly simulators as well.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
Interesting rumours developing on PPRuNe about QF getting some 777s ordered by EK in exchange for LHR slots. Possibly simulators as well.
That would be awesome! But for some reason I do not think this will happen.....with the contraction in the QF network, where will they fly these 777 to?

I am hoping the EK partnership means that EK may consider launching a Premium Economy product. It will suck flying QF to DXB, and then having to change to a 10-abreast EK-777 for the rest of the way into Europe. Especially since W is one of the things QF has gotten right internationally.

I always thought CX would be a better fit given their focus on Asia, a relatively solid European network and a product better matched to QF, but I digress.

Just to clarify, the announcement (in my opinion) will be Thursday 6 September. EK CEO apparently arriving that day. Wednesday is the date EK412 departs DXB. Thursday 6 September SYD-AKL is not operating.

As an aside, given the recent QF 380 reconfigurations, EK have some of the worst bathroom-to-passenger ratios in the industry also for Business and Economy Class customers. A couple of examples most relevant to flights Australia-Europe;

- 777 Business Class 1:21 (2 bathrooms for 42 customers)
- 777 Economy Class 1:50.67 (6 bathrooms for 304 customers)
- 380 Business Class 1:19 (4 bathrooms for 76 customers)
- 380 "long-haul" Economy Class 1:61 (7 bathrooms for 427 customers)
- 380 "ultra long-haul" Economy Class 1:44.33 (9 bathrooms for 399 customers)

Last edited by Platinum A332; Aug 31, 2012 at 7:25 pm
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
Just to clarify, the announcement (in my opinion) will be Thursday 5 September. EK CEO apparently arriving that day. Wednesday is the date EK412 departs DXB. Thursday 5 September SYD-AKL is not operating.

As an aside, given the recent QF 380 reconfigurations, EK have some of the worst bathroom-to-passenger ratios in the industry also for Business and Economy Class customers. A couple of examples most relevant to flights Australia-Europe;

- 777 Business Class 1:21 (2 bathrooms for 42 customers)
- 777 Economy Class 1:50.67 (6 bathrooms for 304 customers)
- 380 Business Class 1:19 (4 bathrooms for 76 customers)
- 380 "long-haul" Economy Class 1:61 (7 bathrooms for 427 customers)
- 380 "ultra long-haul" Economy Class 1:44.33 (9 bathrooms for 399 customers)

Thursday is the 6th, not the 5th.

BTW when did 'toilets' become 'bathrooms' ? Have American euphemisms now replaced plain English in the QF forum?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
Thursday is the 6th, not the 5th.

BTW when did 'toilets' become 'bathrooms' ? Have American euphemisms now replaced plain English in the QF forum?
Thanks for that - edited.

I thought American euphemisms were more appropriate on account of the QF/EK partnership. Having cousins who have lived in DXB, American English seems to be quite common in the Dubai vernacular (note - very small sample size).

........I think the bathroom vs. toilet vs. lavatory debate has been done somewhere on here before!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:44 pm

Everyone talks about the benefits/cons for QF/EK around the European network. But what about flights to SIN/KUL/BKK and AKL/CHC?
The natural expectation is that either EK or QF will chop off few NZ flights.

I am more interested in knowing what will this mean for accessing the QF F lounges in SYD and MEL on codeshare flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.