Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by cityflyer369
So it's even easier. Thanks for pointing this out. I assumed chongcao was right when stating that there was no EK First class lounge in Dubai. If there already is one, then, of course, it makes sense for QF to make sure it is accessible to their Plat members.
But...hasn't QF had severe issues in the recent past in having BA lounge access granted to its card holders, particularly at LHR?

EK lounge access may not be so straightforward!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mario
OK, so it's 18:49 in Sydney now. Shouldn't the announcement have happened already?
The announcement is at 0900 AEST 06 Sep (which is 2300 GMT 05 Sep, 0000 BST 06 Sep)
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The announcement is at 0900 AEST 06 Sep (which is 2300 GMT 05 Sep, 0000 BST 06 Sep)
Where did you learn this? We frequent flyer addicts down under have failed to find any confirmation of a press conference or anything.

Last edited by danger; Sep 5, 2012 at 5:43 am
Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm taking as my source post #43 in this very thread.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
As I read the Aust news from SJU...
Lots of prepped pieces in the AFR (Australian Financial Review, which is QFs favoured 'sourcing' paper)

Negotiations continue into the night with two options on the table.
1. A codeshare (preagreed and ready to go)
2. A more comprehensive alliance (seemingly the preferred option)

Either way it appears FRA is gone, the BA JV also being exited.
Maps in the AFR show SIN, KUL and BKK still being used as points to reach DXB as well as direct flights.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by moa999
Either way it appears FRA is gone, the BA JV also being exited.
To add possible weight to the BA JSA finishing. The current BA sale has some reduced prices for LHR-SYD in F - these only apply to BA fights on BA metal with BA numbers on Qantas metal unchanged. Previous sales have treated both the same IIRC.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by moa999
...Maps in the AFR show SIN, KUL and BKK still being used as points to reach DXB as well as direct flights.
Hilarious if true; so QF will be mostly 3-stop to Europe -- so no improvement over LHR -- while EK runs A380s non-stop Oz-DXB offering 2-stop European service. Now that sounds like the kind of deal Joyce would negotiate

To be fair, EK does have some DXB-Oz flights routing via KUL and SIN already (and maybe also BKK), but still it seems a strange strategy by QF to go after SIN/KUL/BKK O/D traffic unless they really think there is a huge market for stopovers in SIN/KUL/BKK on the way to DXB
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by number_6
Hilarious if true; so QF will be mostly 3-stop to Europe -- so no improvement over LHR -- while EK runs A380s non-stop Oz-DXB offering 2-stop European service. Now that sounds like the kind of deal Joyce would negotiate
How do you figure that?

QF will operate direct to DXB, with EK codes, with only *some* flights going via SIN/KUL/BKK (EK metal, QF codes). (My mother, who has DVT problems, deliberately chose the SYD-BKK-DXB option so that she could walk around the airport en route rather than foing a longish flight).

To be fair, EK does have some DXB-Oz flights routing via KUL and SIN already (and maybe also BKK),
Maybe? Commenting without doing some basic research?

but still it seems a strange strategy by QF to go after SIN/KUL/BKK O/D traffic unless they really think there is a huge market for stopovers in SIN/KUL/BKK on the way to DXB
Who said that they are going after O/D traffic?

Whilst I think the whole thing is a joke, you really are getting someone obtuse in your posts of late, number_6 (and I see you still haven't commented about your factually incorrect post about QF having six aircraft sitting around doing nothing at LAX every day).

Dave
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
At this stage I would not consider that map gospel or even indicative as yet.

It looks like someone at the AFR has lazily mapped out EK's current routes through to SWP.

I post that as it does not make sense within the context of this article (in relation to QF routing): http://afr.com/p/business/companies/...YitOkUSZcjqKRL

(That's where the map came from)
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
To add possible weight to the BA JSA finishing...
I heard from the horse's mouth (i.e. a most senior Qantas official) a few weeks ago that QF was very, very keen to make this deal with EK whilst keeping their relationship with BA alive and well. So interesting that the rumours now suggest that this is not how it has turned out. We will see if this is all confirmed over the next few hours.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:09 pm

Qantas stays mum about domestic fall

http://www.smh.com.au/business/qanta...904-25cin.html

...Critics say Qantas is acting from a position of weakness in pursuing a code-share deal, and risks handing passengers to Emirates without significant benefits.

Releasing traffic statistics yesterday, Qantas said yields from domestic flights were lower in July than the same month last year due to increased capacity from airlines in the domestic market.

But the notable absence of a figure on the movement in yields - or returns from fares - disappointed analysts, who said it would weaken investor confidence in the airline's outlook.

For the past decade Qantas has released yields for its domestic and international operations...
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
I still think that QF would have been a better fit with QR but IMO QF should have done this sooner then maybe they wouldn't be as desperate. It is kind of like the fox is guarding the hen house scenario in this case at least IMO.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
It's a done deal, per ABC news.

https://twitter.com/SimonPalan/statu...97653642620929
Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Wow dumping BA, CX and AF codeshares.
Lounge access based on FFP status as well.
All very interesting as A380 to LHR from MEL, SYD via DXB instead of SIN
asx.com
Rejigging of Asia routes as well.

Last edited by Blackcloud; Sep 5, 2012 at 6:18 pm Reason: Whopps wrong airport code
Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:11 pm

The two carriers today unveiled "a new global aviation partnership", promising customers "a seamless international and Australian network, exclusive frequent flyer benefits and world‐class travel experiences."

As part of the deal, Qantas will shift its hub for European flights from Singapore to Dubai and enter "an extensive commercial relationship" with Emirates.

Neither airline will hold shares in the other, but instead will focus on building an "integrated network", including coordinated pricing, sales and scheduling, the carriers said in a statement.

The arrangement, which requires approval from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), is expected to start in April 2013.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/qantas-...906-25fhm.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.