Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

LAN/QF Codeshare LA 800 and LA801 on time reliability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN/QF Codeshare LA 800 and LA801 on time reliability?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 6:34 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Isochronous
So what happens if I book a cheap $700 return SYD-AKL-SYD J run on LAN when its cancelled?
It pays to search FT... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...ed-air-nz.html
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Im holding a booking from SYD to PPT with LA and TN. Connecting time in AKL is quite tide and I wonder how I should look into this booking?

Sice LA800 often is quite delayed or cancelled there is a huge chance that I will miss the connection to PPT. Since TN only flies 2x a week there isnt much options if I miss the connection? What will happen in this case? Should I check in advance to see if the LA flight from SCL is departing delayed and call LA to have me rebooked to an earlier QF or NZ flight so that I dont miss the connection? If they dont and I miss the connection in AKL what will happen? They rebook me into NZ for AKL-PPT or do I have to wait 5 days until the next available flight? Or will they fly me to SCL and then connecting to SCL-PPT?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold
Since I am in the midst of this flight, I thought I would add some feedback. Yesterday I flew Melbourne-Sydney (6am) and then Sydney-Auckland on LAN 800. Everything went smoothly except for the fact that there were no gates for the flight, so it was parked out on the tarmac and we had to go out by bus - ferrying a lot of people bus by bus takes a lot of time. And then we spent time in a queue waiting for take off; all up the flight was delayed by over an hour. That said, the flight over was smooth and we made up some of the time, landing about 45 minutes late. Business class was only 1/3 full so it was very peaceful and the service was great. Although no bubbly, which I would have liked because with the delay, it was afternoon by the time we had "breakfast".

But today I am in Auckland trying to get back to Sydney and things not so bright: the flight has been delayed for 3 hours. Luckily I ignored the exhortation to be at the airport at 3am printed in big letters on my boarding pass (interesting fact: you can check in online for the inward flight, but not for the outward flight) - I got here at 4.15am which was silly because immigration doesn't open until 4.30am. Luckily the Qantas Club is open and breakfast was ready to go by the time I got here. Anyway, they are saying the flight hasn't been cancelled, just delayed so ... fingers crossed. And I am glad that I went for the later flight back to Melbourne this afternoon rather than booking the earlier one I was originally going to book. I figure it's easier to ask to be put on an earlier flight in the QC than it is to deal with missing a flight when dealing with two separate tickets.

anyway - there you go, a 50/50 record to date.

trinitygirl

Last edited by trinitygirl; Jun 28, 2013 at 10:08 pm
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold
Edited to add: we ended up taking off at 10.15am - a 4+ hour delay, arriving just before midday instead of 7.40am. The transfer back to domestic was just as easy as yesterday - but for some reason the flights o melb are all full - they said that since 7am there has not been a spare seat, right through til 4pm. So i've had a few hours to waste in the qantas club.

But all and all, a good trip so far.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:33 pm

Today's (30JUN13) LA800 is delayed, expected to depart at 14:40 (5 hours behind schedule).

I arrived at the airport this morning at 0730 for the scheduled 0930 departure and the agent asked me if I was aware the flight was delayed. I replied negative, and that it wasn't a big deal. Then she advises the updated departure time, errr great.

Passed through security and up to the FL (there's worse places to be delayed I have to be honest) and sat down for some breakfast. Checked my emails and at 0807 and email came through advising of the delay and new departure time.

0807? The flight was scheduled to depart at 0930 so I fail to see how that is helpful to any pax on this flight as they would (or should) already be at the airport and checked in.

More Delamotte please!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:41 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by vecta
....The flight was scheduled to depart at 0930 so I fail to see how that is helpful to any pax on this flight as they would (or should) already be at the airport and checked in.
Similar experience to me on QF321 last November. I knew about the delay many many hours before scheduled departure time (and later cancelled AKL-SYD-AKL). The emailed delay / cancel was received hours after I proactively rebooked SYD-MEL-AKL.

Surely a premium carrier (LA and QF) can get this notification process right. Its not as if it has never happened before.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
LA seems to be down to 3 A340 now as the 787 seems to be coming on line for them and they are not doing the next heavy checks on the A340 fleet. I believe the LA800/801 combination will be the last A340 route for LA, as they will need to meet the requirements for extended operations for the 787.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Does anyone know if you are able to checkin the day before the flight? I will be arriving at AKL the night before and staying at the Novotel, and would love to be able to drop off checked luggage the evening before. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Checkin is with LAN and I really doubt you will be able to do this.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
Checkin is with LAN and I really doubt you will be able to do this.
Similarly, if you try to get your BP from the airside flight connections counter, you'll be in for an agonising, frustrating and stressful experience. Only "the LA guy" can issue LA BPs and this guy is never at the counter. NZ staff won't help and just say "wait until he comes back", we can't access the LA computer as we don't have the password.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by md25
Does anyone know if you are able to checkin the day before the flight? I will be arriving at AKL the night before and staying at the Novotel, and would love to be able to drop off checked luggage the evening before. Thanks in advance.
No.
Although I have never tried to see if LA has online check in but I can tell you the LA desks are not open.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Thanks all
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
I'm going to be flying SFO->SYD->AKL next week with the SYD->AKL leg on QF321. Since it seems a lot of the horror stories were posted a while back, I'm wondering how things are now that we're well into 2014.

I'm guessing that there's no interlining to hope for and I'll have to pick up my bags at the claim downstairs once I get to SYD.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
I'm going to be flying SFO->SYD->AKL next week with the SYD->AKL leg on QF321. Since it seems a lot of the horror stories were posted a while back, I'm wondering how things are now that we're well into 2014.

I'm guessing that there's no interlining to hope for and I'll have to pick up my bags at the claim downstairs once I get to SYD.
See answers to your same question in the "LA321 Survival Guide" thread.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
I'm looking at booking my partner and I AKL-SYD-AKL in J with LA later in the year as part of a trip to Lord Howe Island. We picked up the SYD-LDH-SYD flights by redeeming some Qantas points, and we're booked on a Sunday flight departing at 11.50am.

LA flights are scheduled to arrive at 7.40am, which would typically give us plenty of time of time to connect to our domestic SYD-LDH flight (4 hours and 10 mins).

However, reading a few threads has me worried about the delays LA can be prone to.

Would you risk it, or are we better spending a few hundred dollars more (NZ domestic airfares into AKL are a lot more expensive, plus an extra night hotel in Sydney) and flying to SYD 24 hours earlier?

As an aside, i've taken the advice of others who have been to LDH and will be booking our return flights to AKL a couple of days after our scheduled LDH-SYD flight, which can be seriously affected by weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.