Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Is there any way I can get into first class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPLT

I've got a paid business class ticket from LAX-SYD and return Mel-LAX on the 380. I probably won't have an opportunity to fly this route again anytime soon, and it is the first time I've flown on Qantas. I'd love to fly first on the 380. I have a lot of AA and BA miles, but have been told I can't use those miles to upgrade. I also have a decent amount of Amex points. I know this is a stretch and a bit vague, but is there any way I could get into first (other than paying?). Thanks.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
IF you are ticketed on QF flight numbers on the QF services and IF you can transfer [enough] AMEX points to garner at least 45,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points then you would be able to submit an upgrade request one way.

Last edited by serfty; May 17, 2012 at 8:08 pm
Old May 17, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Depends on WHAT Amex points.

For Australian Amex, only Ascent Premium (ie Plat Charge or Centurion) can be transferred to QFF, otherewise you need a direct earn card.

Am not sure if any overseas Amex's can transfer to QFF.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:01 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by moa999
Depends on WHAT Amex points.

For Australian Amex, only Ascent Premium (ie Plat Charge or Centurion) can be transferred to QFF, otherewise you need a direct earn card.

Am not sure if any overseas Amex's can transfer to QFF.
No, foreign cards don't work.

Originally Posted by akersnl
I've got a paid business class ticket from LAX-SYD and return Mel-LAX on the 380. I probably won't have an opportunity to fly this route again anytime soon, and it is the first time I've flown on Qantas. I'd love to fly first on the 380. I have a lot of AA and BA miles, but have been told I can't use those miles to upgrade. I also have a decent amount of Amex points. I know this is a stretch and a bit vague, but is there any way I could get into first (other than paying?). Thanks.
You can try on coupon connection and see whether somebody would do a trade with you.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts yet to see the coupon section. I guess I could start posting more
Old May 17, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by akersnl
Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts yet to see the coupon section. I guess I could start posting more
QF points can only be used for an account holders family members anyhow. This is part of the Ts and Cs.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:43 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by moa999
and the AMEX (Plat) Rewards Advantage Card
Old May 17, 2012, 3:32 pm

www.points.com is also another site where you can swap frequent flyer points.

Good luck.
Old May 17, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I can't help with working out how you would be able to use points for an upgrade, however if you want to try out the seat make friends with the crew, preferably the CSM and ask if you can have a look at first after you land and everyone has disembarked. If you ask very nicely they might even be able to arrange a cockpit visit too.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:32 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
And I assume you have no status? Your chances of an upgrade on that route are very slim. It may be a lot of work for absolutely no gain.

Last edited by m0hamed; May 17, 2012 at 11:41 pm
Old May 17, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Worse to the worse, open a QFF account for free (as you are not in Oz/NZ), fly to SYD from LAX in J and get some points accumulated... then contact QFF and buy some QFF points to have enough points for upgrade on your return leg, then send the request to upgrade...

Not sure if OP could buy QFF with cash?
Old May 18, 2012, 2:14 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
And I assume you have no status? Your chances of an upgrade on that route are very slim. It may be a lot of work for absolutely no gain.
+ 1

I'm afraid it comes down to the old pulling the wallet out.
Old May 18, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Not sure what you paid for the J ticket but often a F ticket is not that much more. However with that said from experience the difference between J and F on QF isn't significant enough to go to any great effort to pay for. We are not discussing Suite Class on SQ here. J on QF A380 is a pretty OK experience.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Originally Posted by nonce
Not sure what you paid for the J ticket but often a F ticket is not that much more. However with that said from experience the difference between J and F on QF isn't significant enough to go to any great effort to pay for. We are not discussing Suite Class on SQ here. J on QF A380 is a pretty OK experience.
IMO there is a large differential between F & J on QF!

It starts with the lounges (if you don't have status) then the seat/bed, champagne, drinks, food, service, PJ's/amenity kit, FA chit chat, toilet & last but not least it's F.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have status on QF. I will be AA PLT for this trip. I'm accumulating AA miles on this itinerary, as that is my usual airline. I was just really wanting to experience F on this aircraft, as it is unlikely I'll fly on an A380 again any time soon.

I also want to say thanks for everyone being nice about this noob question. If I would have asked the same thing in the AA forum, all of the responses would have been about how stupid I am for even thinking about asking such a questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.