Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption on Jetstar

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Redemption on Jetstar

I am trying to book a redemption ticket SIN>DRW>SIN but it doesn't give me the direct Jetstar flights as an option and only offers flights via another city (like Brisbane and Perth) on Qantas. Does this just mean that there are no redemption seats left on the Jetstar direct flights or am I doing something wrong?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Will try again to see if I can get anyone's attention. What is weird about this is that there is no day in the year that I can get a redemption ticket from SIN to DRW but every day in the year I can get a redemption ticket from DRW to SIN.

Any ideas what is going on here?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Cynically, I suggest its yield management kicking in (unsubstantiated claim !). Create a market with "free" tickets and lock the punters into purchasing a fare for the return. Its much like award tickets SYD-(europe) on QF that dead easy to get one way but nearly impossible to get on the return.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, og. That is indeed cynical (I don't mean you, I mean Qantas). It really does look that way. If it was anything else, SIN>DRW would just be hard to get, but they simply don't exist at any time of the year (I haven't covered every single day but quite a lot).

I have never run in to this before. I mostly redeem BA miles on BA these days and I don't recall ever seeing something like this. It is common among other airlines?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I know you want to use points but how much is the fare that you are trying to redeem points for $178 SGD Starter fare?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Indeed if it was that cheap I wouldn't bother but unfortunately in August a return SIN>DRW Starter fare is $595 SGD and there are four of us so it adds up. Plus its probably worth paying the extra $60 SGD on each fare to get the extras (might have to change the date) so it becomes $655 SGD per person.

I thought about a redemption booking the one way that was available (DRW>SIN) but the taxes themselves added up to about $242 AUS. In fact, now I think about it, I don't really understand how that works. The price of the ticket on Jetstar one way is only $258 which is just $16 more than the taxes. Those Jetstar prices do include taxes, right?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by mjack99
Indeed if it was that cheap I wouldn't bother but unfortunately in August a return SIN>DRW Starter fare is $595 SGD and there are four of us so it adds up. Plus its probably worth paying the extra $60 SGD on each fare to get the extras (might have to change the date) so it becomes $655 SGD per person.

I thought about a redemption booking the one way that was available (DRW>SIN) but the taxes themselves added up to about $242 AUS. In fact, now I think about it, I don't really understand how that works. The price of the ticket on Jetstar one way is only $258 which is just $16 more than the taxes. Those Jetstar prices do include taxes, right?
I got $286 SGD in all in ($228) with 20kg of checked baggage ($28) and the Starter Plus option ($30). Then if you want you need to pay for insurance and credit card fee.
Is the price you are quoating the return because I am only doing SIN - DRW sector not the return.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Yep, return. Its the problem of the return rather than the one way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.