Wiki Posts
Search

QF8 BNE-SYD then QF19 SYD-MNL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF (WP), NZ (KC), IHG Ambassador
QF8 BNE-SYD then QF19 SYD-MNL

Not sure if this is the correct board to ask this question.

If I am flying QF8 BNE to SYD then I understand this is a domestic sector of an international flight. I will land at SYD T1. If I am then connecting to QF19 to MNL, do I need to clear 'immigration' back into OZ (I think my boarding pass has a "D" on it) and then exit 'immigration' again to leave OZ, or can I hopefully bypass all that.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by workingman
Not sure if this is the correct board to ask this question.

If I am flying QF8 BNE to SYD then I understand this is a domestic sector of an international flight. I will land at SYD T1. If I am then connecting to QF19 to MNL, do I need to clear 'immigration' back into OZ (I think my boarding pass has a "D" on it) and then exit 'immigration' again to leave OZ, or can I hopefully bypass all that.
QF8 from Dallas lands at the international terminal in Brisbane before heading to the Sydney International T1 terminal.

As you are leaving the country you don't have a D sticker.

Once you get to Sydney you follow the signs to flight connections or similar go through security then up a level to the departure concourse.

There is someone to check you have an onward boarding pass but they didn't check last month when I flew from QF8 to JQ35.

Do not buy duty free in Brisbane as you have security check in Sydney.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Bundy Bear,

Many thanks for that, that is what I was hoping. I am used to SYD international transfers as I am normally WLG-SYD to XXX but coming from BNE on this QF8 flight I just was not sure. That will mean i have more time in the F lounge for breakfast and a massage.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Are you flying in from DFW, or originating in BNE? Curious that you are even going to SYD..

When you checkin, be aware you may be asked if you want to avoid the BNE SYD BNE part of the trip. Or they may assume you do and change the booking on you!

And if QF8 is very late arriving into BNE, you may be able to choose to stay & wait for QF19 to arrive!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Storyteller
Are you flying in from DFW, or originating in BNE? Curious that you are even going to SYD..

When you checkin, be aware you may be asked if you want to avoid the BNE SYD BNE part of the trip. Or they may assume you do and change the booking on you!
QF19 only goes via BNE one day a week, so unless it is on that day, this will not be an issue. Either way, I can't see them assuming you want to avoid it if on the TH departure, it would have been booked for a reason.

And if QF8 is very late arriving into BNE, you may be able to choose to stay & wait for QF19 to arrive!
Only on Thursdays though, the rest of the week it is non-stop SYD-MNL.

Dave

Last edited by thadocta; Feb 16, 2012 at 6:53 pm
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Originally Posted by thadocta
QF19 only goes via BNE one day a week, so unless it is on that day, this will not be an issue. Either way, I can't see them assuming you want to avoid it if on the TH departure, it would have been booked for a reason.
Only on Thursdays though, the rest of the week it is non-stop SYD-MNL.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Of course, you're right, I was only thinking about how I usually use both QF 8 & 19.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the further advice. I actually arrive into BNE on QF20 from MNL, but as is stated the return is only on a Thur. QF8 looks good assuming it is on time, as it means I am direct into T1 and do not need to change terminals.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Just resurrecting this to check experience and my reading of it.

Flying BNE-SYD on QF8 tomorrow, connecting to AC33 to YVR/YYZ. All in J.

As I understand from all the above:
1) I check in at BNE international (not online - it wouldn't let me anyway), may or may not get a "D" sticker on my boarding pass but go through departing customs anyway
2) On arrival at SYD I don't need to go through international arrival customs and departure customs again, just straight into international connections (via a security check) and I'm at the gate (or lounge)

Is that how people have experienced it recently? (And yes, I'm watching QF8 on the inbound from DFW, and it's running 30mins late; diverted to AKL this morning, so will switch to the other BNE-SYD flight if that looks like happening tomorrow morning).
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Just resurrecting this to check experience and my reading of it.

Flying BNE-SYD on QF8 tomorrow, connecting to AC33 to YVR/YYZ. All in J.

As I understand from all the above:
1) I check in at BNE international (not online - it wouldn't let me anyway), may or may not get a "D" sticker on my boarding pass but go through departing customs anyway
2) On arrival at SYD I don't need to go through international arrival customs and departure customs again, just straight into international connections (via a security check) and I'm at the gate (or lounge)

Is that how people have experienced it recently? (And yes, I'm watching QF8 on the inbound from DFW, and it's running 30mins late; diverted to AKL this morning, so will switch to the other BNE-SYD flight if that looks like happening tomorrow morning).
Is this on a through ticket or 2 separate bookings

If on separate bookings and you have luggage, then you will need to collect the luggage and then go round and check the luggage in for AC, so make sure to have the D sticker

If on a through booking or you have no luggage, then can just go to international connections
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:02 am

Thanks, Dave. No checked bags and all one ticket, so sounds like I'm good.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:42 pm

Transfer was very easy. Into the international terminal, so no customs (though I had to explain to customs in Brisbane that I was leaving the country in Sydney, not staying, so they'd stamp me out).
Arrived in SYD, walked for about 5 mins, through security and straight into the middle of the international terminal. Zero hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.