Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

from Kuala Lumpur to Sin with Malasyan and then to Perth with Quantas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:03 am
Original Poster

I am an AA Platinum flying Malasya Airlines from Kuala Lumpur to Sin and then connecting With Quantas on to Perth. Can I check my bags through to Perth in Kuala Lumpur even though I am flying different airlines? Being an AA platinum, I never pay for my second bag in any Oneworld airline! If Malasya is able to check my bags all the way throug to Perth, will they charge me for baggage? Forgot to mention, both my Malasya and Quantas reservations are on a different ticket.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The allowances on both airlines are similar

Malaysian allows 20Kg in Economy, 30Kg in Business and 40Kg in 1st
Qantas allows 23Kg in Economy, 32Kg in Business and 40Kg in 1st

Note: neither airline uses a piece system for that route so that is the total weight allowed regardless of how many pieces you have

Being Platinum with AA makes no difference to the allowances

I don't know how strict MH are on luggage as to whether they would charge for the 3Kg in economy / 2Kg in business if you are within QF's allowance but not their own

Since you are on separate tickets, there is no entitlement to having your baggage checked all the way through to Perth ( not any protection should you miss your connection ) . Whether MH will check luggage through to another airline on a separate ticket is something that might be better asked in the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs forum which deals with Malaysian

The safest bet is to assume that you will have to collect and recheck your luggage and plan accordingly
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:30 pm

Plus, Malaysia Airlines is not yet a member of OneWorld. It is a member-elect. Until it becomes a full member, I don't know that you will be getting any AA miles for that flight, check-in privileges, or lounge access based on your AA PLT status.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:25 pm
tt7

We flew PEN-SIN-MEL last year on separate MH and QF tickets and they checked our bags through without any issue. However, there's no requirement that they do so, so just ask nicely and be prepared to have to collect the bags in SIN if they say no.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I was also a little bit confused at the baggage allowances for Quantas. The website talks about a price for Kilogram and the there is another table that talks about a flat rate of 150 for an extra piece and 50 for a heavy bag in excess of 23kilograms.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Beazablah
Thank you all so much. I was also a little bit confused at the baggage allowances for Quantas. The website talks about a price for Kilogram and the there is another table that talks about a flat rate of 150 for an extra piece and 50 for a heavy bag in excess of 23kilograms.
The table on http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...gage/global/en

shows the excess fees depending on route and whether it is a piece allowance or weight allowance and also whether it is pre-paid or at the airport

For Asia-Australia where weight allowance applies ( as in your case ) the rates are

$35 per Kg at the airport or $122.50 per 5Kg if paid in advance
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:21 am

There is no u in qantas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.