Wiki Posts
Search

Per > syd > lax > sfo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Per > syd > lax > sfo

Hi All,

I've made a booking on the 4th of Feb to fly from Perth to San Francisco on QF574 and QF11. I call every two nights asking if they've yet released any award upgrades (I booked in economy, but would love prem. or business).

Here is my itinerary: http://cl.ly/DhqL

Does anyone know if they are likely to release any, or whether it's possible to get some at some stage?

I've got 110,000 points available to me.

Lachy
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
If you've already booked then you need to wait for the upgrade lottery, you can't just use your points to upgrade. You would either need to cancel your booking, in which case you don't have enough points to travel in either Premium Economy or Business all the way to the US, or place an upgrade request, which you can do now.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For Perth to Sydney, there is currently 1 seat available for business class redemption/upgrade

If you log into your Qantas account and access the booking ( or phone ), you should be able to confirm business class for Perth to Sydney now

For Sydney to Los Angeles, you need to click the request upgrade ( or ask over the phone ) and then your request will go into a queue which may or may not be granted - you will find out sometime in the 24 hours prior to departure. When you request the upgrade, you can request any of

Upgrade to Premium Economy
Upgrade to Business
Upgrade to Business as preference but upgrade to Premium Economy should the business request be declined
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Slightly OT there's an interesting one-way J fare at $2,699 for this route on expedia com (NOT the au site) but you have to start from KUL:

KUL-PER (MH C), stopover, PER-SYD (QF J), overnight if you like then SYD-LAX/SFO (UA C). Seems wide open from April through EOS, example dates:
a) KUL PER 2 May, PER-SYD-SFO 16 May
b) KUL PER 18 Dec, PER-SYD-SFO 22 Dec
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately as my booking was done on points, I have to wait for upgrades to be released. Fortunately, one for PER > SYD has been released, but if I upgrade that it costs me 64,000 points as they book it across all legs.

So I need to wait for any prem. economy, business, or first tickets become available on my SYD > LAX route (which is the only one I really care about).

I really hate their policy of calculating the whole way though.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you trying to upgrade a booking or trying to book an award ticket in business?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Upgrade, I guess. I've already made the booking in economy. I didn't have the points to make the booking originally in biz, but now I've got enough.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:08 am

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
Originally Posted by lachyg
Upgrade, I guess. I've already made the booking in economy. I didn't have the points to make the booking originally in biz, but now I've got enough.
In which case, you'll need to cancel your original booking and rebook it in business class. This does mean waiting for award seats to become available which may well be a challenge if you have no status and are travelling next week.

Expect to travel in Y I'm afraid.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I assumed as much. There are no award bookings available in business class though.

All I have is Silver status.

Oh well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.