Wiki Posts
Search

OW sapphire travelling Jetstar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
OW sapphire travelling Jetstar

My sister-in law is visiting from the US and travelling Jetstar SYD-PER. She is AA plat and OW sapphire. Question: does she get elite baggage weight benefits on Jetstar and if so what is the baggage weight limit? Thanks for any information FTers!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IainC
My sister-in law is visiting from the US and travelling Jetstar SYD-PER. She is AA plat and OW sapphire. Question: does she get elite baggage weight benefits on Jetstar and if so what is the baggage weight limit? Thanks for any information FTers!
There are no OneWorld benefits for luggage allowance , so even if Jetstar was a OneWorld carrier there would be no additional allowance.

The Jetstar base fare includes NO checked baggage allowance

When booking, there is the option to include a checked baggage allowance for additional cost for SYD-PER if purchased at time of booking is

$16 for 15Kg
$18 for 20Kg
$30 for 25Kg
$35 for 30Kg
$40 for 35Kg
$45 for 40Kg

If she wants to take luggage ,I would recommend pre-purchasing the required allowance since it is cheaper than paying at the airport

If the ticket has already been purchased but without the necessary allowance, then it can be added to an existing booking at a rate of $35/$40/$50/$65/$80/$90 for 15/20/25/30/35/40Kg

If left until the airport, then it will cost $80 for 20Kg

Should there be excess weight on top of the paid amount, then is $15 per Kg

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 20, 2011 at 5:15 pm
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Wow! That's pretty dismal Dave compared with *A where we elites get a very generous additional weight allowance. Thank you for the information which I have transmitted to my sister-in-law. Iain
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by IainC
Wow! That's pretty dismal Dave compared with *A where we elites get a very generous additional weight allowance. Thank you for the information which I have transmitted to my sister-in-law. Iain
That *A gives allowances vs OW not giving allowances is actually an irrelevent point in this situation anyway though.

Jetstar is a low cost carrier and is not part of the OW alliance. Even if OW did have additional allowances, it would not apply to Jetstar travel any more than *A status would apply to travel on Qantas

Hopefully the information will help ensure that she gets to minimise baggage charges anyway
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:43 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Sadly, this is a case of QF and JQ being completely different airlines with different policies, operations etc inspite of QF making it very clear that they own JQ and gladly accept the profit that is generated - and have the words "Qantas Group" on the JQ aircraft.

Sometimes they are very close, other times they are poles apart. The separation varies according to circumstance.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Of course, if this is all booked on the same ticket as, say a flight from LAX to SYD, then the situation may be different, depending on if MSC rules apply.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Of course, if this is all booked on the same ticket as, say a flight from LAX to SYD, then the situation may be different, depending on if MSC rules apply.
I wouldn't be 100% sure since JQ is not an IATA airline iirc
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Hey not even UA or DL honor that system, it seems to be very much a Qantas thing serfty.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I wouldn't be 100% sure since JQ is not an IATA airline iirc
True, that's why I used the word MAY rather than WOULD.

Originally Posted by nonce
Hey not even UA or DL honor that system, it seems to be very much a Qantas thing serfty.
Well, they should, at least for all bookings ticketed since April 1st. Note that elite benefits of additional baggage allowance might not apply with the MSC regulation.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Well, they should, at least for all bookings ticketed since April 1st. Note that elite benefits of additional baggage allowance might not apply with the MSC regulation.
With UA/DL , since they are going to/from USA (in relation to AU), then the special provisions of US travel will apply regarding luggage allowance iirc

Dave
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With UA/DL , since they are going to/from USA (in relation to AU), then the special provisions of US travel will apply regarding luggage allowance iirc

Dave
With tickets who ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, the MSC rules still apply; but in the case of a codeshare, the allowance of the Marketing carrier of the MSC flight, not the operating carrier is used.

Also with the U.S.A. exception the allowance that applies to the first check-in applies to the entire ticket.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.