Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD transfer - QF has lost the plot

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UncleDude
But they are 2 Seperate International Sectors whereas MEL-SYD and SYD-BKK are not.

Through check-in is done so that International to International passengers do not have to go through potential complex Visa Requirements.
The difference is not that it was 2 international sectors, just that TG chose to check the bag throughs; with separate tickets there is no requirement for them to do so, nor should it be expected

TG chose to offer the bag check, QF has a policy to not do it
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gaia
Have a vote now, sucker.
At a risk of shipping this to OMNI P/R....

Opinion Polls don't dictate who sits in the parliament. The only poll that matters took place in August 2010 and will next take place sometime in late 2013; by all means keep ranting about the "lack of mandate" "death of democracy" "she lied!!!!"; it doesn't change one damn thing.

Sucker!!!

And, back on point. QF doesn't have a monopoly on the inter terminal transfer bus.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Originally Posted by SQ421
And, back on point. QF doesn't have a monopoly on the inter terminal transfer bus.
Um, they do on the "Seamless Transfer" airside bus (from Domestic Gate 1 to the International Terminal)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
with separate tickets there is no requirement for them to do so, nor should it be expected
Of course there is no requirement, but it reasonable that this is an expectation, purely based on past QF policy. I guess the OP knows differently now, but the fact QF used to do the use would create that expectation, remembering of course not everyone is an airline nerd who would keep abreast of the continous enhancements and LCC-isation of QF.

I guess if you have spa treatments and Neil Perry inspired menus that's what makes a premium airline, not doing little things like help your customers in situations like this. I do genuinely wonder if the seamless transfer bus will go the same way, ie require same ticket, or a connection to OW or QF, not from.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
May be completely irrelevant and OT, but:

From the Virgin Australia website referencing their seamless transfer service:
*This service is available for all guests who have booked a formal connecting journey. If you have purchased two separate tickets, you will be required to pick up your baggage at the transfer port.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I'm just wondering if there is any real reason why the DOM-INT bus needs to leave from airside, since it arrives at INT landside. Running it landside-landside would make it easier for those with luggage (inbound on QF or HQ) to avail themselves of the service.

Dave
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
I'm just wondering if there is any real reason why the DOM-INT bus needs to leave from airside, since it arrives at INT landside. Running it landside-landside would make it easier for those with luggage (inbound on QF or HQ) to avail themselves of the service.
There is a landside bus. It just isn't free. There is also the train option.

The airside bus is a courtesy to Qantas passengers, and presumably paid for by Qantas. A true Qantas pax shouldn't need to visit Landside.

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Jul 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:36 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by thadocta
AirSide for the seamless bus transfer will be quicker than LandSide - especially when morning / afternoon traffic is at its worst (and Sydneysiders know that the morning peak is from 05:30 to 11:59 and the afternoon peak is from 12:01 to 19:30
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
The reason airlines don't want to do it is that the carrier that initially takes your luggage is ultimately responsible for it if it gets lost. QF don't want to be responsible for the actions of other carriers. The only reason they do it if it is on one ticket is because there is an IATA rule that says that they have to.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by ozzie
The reason airlines don't want to do it is that the carrier that initially takes your luggage is ultimately responsible for it if it gets lost. .....
No they are not! You have the rule backwards: for IATA airlines, the airline flying the last sector is responsible for lost or damaged baggage (even if they never received it from the preceding airlines).

The reason for this "multiple ticket no interlining" rule is strictly marketing: to get more revenue to alliance partners.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
No they are not! You have the rule backwards: for IATA airlines, the airline flying the last sector is responsible for lost or damaged baggage (even if they never received it from the preceding airlines).

The reason for this "multiple ticket no interlining" rule is strictly marketing: to get more revenue to alliance partners.
Correct, however the last airline also will charge back to Qantas a certain % of the amount depending on how and why the bag was missing. So while passengers deal with the last airline and they are responsible - that last airline will deal with the first (or the airline that caused the bag to go missing, or even shared between all the airlines involved) to get some or all of the money back.

Marketing - perhaps, but there is also cost saving involved too.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by eoinnz

Marketing - perhaps, but there is also cost saving involved too.
marketing or cost savings... but in the OP's case, if you had a business, I can't see anyone making a rational decision to lose $60k in exchange for the small risk of additional costs (if a bag went missing). As for the marketing side, the OP already flies QF or Oneworld enough given their speedy attainment of Plat status.

CIPs and VIPs expect discretion to be applied when it suits them. They have either the commercial or influential value to reasonably expect that.

While QF is giving out double status credits on the one hand (which certainly costs them money for aspects such as lounge access), they won't interline a bag on the otherhand.

Seems a bit strange.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:53 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
While QF is giving out double status credits on the one hand (which certainly costs them money for aspects such as lounge access), they won't interline a bag on the otherhand.

Seems a bit strange.
Not strange at all when you see that QF's strategy is to suck up to SG travellers and stop them rolling over to DJ. They seem to think that WPs won't roll over and hence are not going out of their way to use discretion to keep people happy..
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
marketing or cost savings... but in the OP's case, if you had a business, I can't see anyone making a rational decision to lose $60k in exchange for the small risk of additional costs (if a bag went missing).
I think that $60k, in the grand scheme of things, isn't really that big (well, the person at the counter processing bags doesn't have a handle on this). QF revenue per year is over $13bn, so $60k may not be that important I suppose.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by og
Not strange at all when you see that QF's strategy is to suck up to SG travellers and stop them rolling over to DJ. They seem to think that WPs won't roll over and hence are not going out of their way to use discretion to keep people happy..
I understand all that... I was just commenting on the 'strangeness' that more golds = more costs for lounge access (when those golds fly CX for example) yet they won't cover the cost of a bag interline at Syd.

Qf potentially stands to lose a lot more from the OP than from some current silver (pre double status credit) moving to DJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.