Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 reconfiguration update

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:11 am

So how many A380s are being reconfigured ?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:47 am

I read somewhere on the AA forum that once they get 77W they would take over SYD-DFW due to the better range and economics of the 77W over the 744ER and this would also eliminate the stop in Brisbane on the way over or so the rumor goes. So that would save a half a frame for Qantas.

Also I guess Frankfurt would not see A380 service but rather 747 service and would guess that either Brisbane or the second Sydney service would see A380, assuming that these are higher yielding routes.

Also I have curiously always wondered why an Airline like Qantas flies MEL-LHR and BA LHR-SYD when surely it is more cost effective for BA to fly LHR-SIN/BKK/HKG and Qantas to cover MEL/SYD/BNE/PER-SIN/BKK/HKG etc. Surely the cost of crewing and pilots and the length of stay down route would make it better to mix and match and only do half the route?

Oh and I don't think any A380 are being reconfigured, its just that the last 8 of the initial 20 on order will come from the factory with only J Y+ and Y
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
In March 2010 QF announced this refit, with first 744 done by 2Q2011. In May 2010 the schedule was revised to change the date to 4Q2011. So there was a delay, but it occurred over a year ago; I missed the May announcement. We were both right, just going on different announced schedules. In retrospect the May 2010 revision was obviously to allow tender of the work by Manila etc. though it wound up being done by QF in Australia. Of course the possible engineers strike could decimate that schdule, fwiw. Presumably the components have been sourced and will be in inventory soon (unlike those A380s that were delayed due to lack of the A380 J seats).
number_6

You are completely wrong

You obviously missed the February announcement as well

Qantas announced the refurbishment in February. The 18th to be exact. The original press release stated

"The upgrade and reconfiguration program will commence at the end of 2011 and is scheduled for completion by the end of 2013."

You can read it here if you don't believe me

http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...010/feb10/4017

I don't know what source your reading, but it is not correct. The information is there right from Qantas - I don't know how more factual I can be.

I know from time to time I make mistakes in my posts, as we all do (posting jet-lagged isn't a wise idea!) as there is a lot of information about Qantas, and I certainly don't know it all. And things can change so when I say one thing, it could change by the next time we talk about it.

However when I have corrected you on at least 3 occasions on the same subject, it's would be fair to say that I know what I am talking about, considering I have the most access to information than anyone here.

Originally Posted by babs
Oh and I don't think any A380 are being reconfigured, its just that the last 8 of the initial 20 on order will come from the factory with only J Y+ and Y
The first 12 A380 will have a reduction in J and increase in Y and Y+.

It's also mentioned on the above mentioned press release.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I wonder if QF will ever accept the harsh reality that they messed up with the Skybed MkII and that compared to other formats it is a massive waste of space? The challenge is they cannot get the density of other airlines in terms of seat numbers yet cannot charge a premium above the other carriers. I do wonder if they would not be better off placing Y+ into A zone with a full width front locker as this would give them 28 to 32 Y+ seats with 1 to 2 rows behind the galley/ bathrooms for a total of between 36 to 48 seats. Considering the ability to dual board, or at TBIT door 2 is used anyway using A zone for Y+ would not disadvantage those in J for boarding or deboarding.

Clearing using the proposed config QF is going to still have a middle seat in J anyway, so surely it makes sense to use the width of the 747 cabin like BA do with their config?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The Skybed MKII was designed for the 388 where there is a larger floor space to freight ratio than for the 744.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 15, 2011 at 5:12 am
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by moa999
And also the old 744 IFE is pretty long in the tooth (even if F is touchscreen)
IMHO the current generation PANASONIC Aero IFE systems are just as junky and trouble prone as previous versions. Easy to crash individual screens by just trying to program, and a horrible user interface. Apple should be contracted to make proper IFE systems using wifi and the iCloud instead of a couple tons of this PANASONIC junk.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Interesting that they can squeeze 14 MkII Skybeds into Zone A.

Their 388 Pitch is 80" for MkII (MkI is 60"), I guess it will be similar, perhaps a little less.

I see that the row 58HJK exit seats are not there, neither are 59HJK. Maybe there's some crew rest provisioning.
5 rows of First can fit in that space, albeit slightly angled. Four rows at a pitch sufficient for full flat seats should be no problem.

Where are you seeing the new seat configuration?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bunkeight
Where are you seeing the new seat configuration?
ExpertFlyer (Try Dec 18, QF15)

Code:
 AB EF JK
1##    ##
2##    ##
3## ## ##
Here's a post on this from AFF:
Originally Posted by ozmille
I hope this works...

This is a collage of the seatmaps from the GDS

Last edited by serfty; Jun 14, 2011 at 9:23 pm
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
So how many A380s are being reconfigured ?
None. QF have ordered a mix of 4 and 3 class A380's. They won't be re-configuring any existing, only new ones will arrive with 3 class (after their initial order for 4 class ones are all delivered).
Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by drewbles
None. QF have ordered a mix of 4 and 3 class A380's. They won't be re-configuring any existing, only new ones will arrive with 3 class (after their initial order for 4 class ones are all delivered).
You seem to have missed this part of the post by eoinnz

Originally Posted by eoinnz
The first 12 A380 will have a reduction in J and increase in Y and Y+.

It's also mentioned on the above mentioned press release.
Qantas Press Release
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Missed that bit about the first 12 being changed.

One way I can see to increase Y and PE at the expense of business class with minimal impact is to move PE forward and have the part or all of the current PE as Economy.

Thinking outside the box, perhaps move First up to "Emerald City", make the whole lower deck Economy and take the last two rows of Business out for PE.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 15, 2011 at 5:23 am
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:29 pm

Is there any schedule of what will be done first? I am planning an Aone4 in June 2012, with the first leg to JHB - wondering whether I'll still get first ?

I assume even if I book in first, they can downgrade to J at anytime, or if it shows F a few months in advance will it be safe? (short of unforeseen operational changes).
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Missed that bit about the first 12 being changed.

One way I can see to increase Y and PE at the expense of business class with minimal impact is to move PE forward and have the part or all of the current PE as Economy.

Thinking outside the box, perhaps move First up to "Emerald City", make the whole lower deck Economy and take the last two rows of Business out for PE.
A better way would be F, W and WHY on the lower deck, and J and WHY on the upper deck. Would give W passengers a quicker exit from the aircraft (compared to WHY, the front rows of which are off VERY quickly normally).

Dave
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:15 am

ExpertFlyer (Try Dec 18, QF15)
Thanks for that! Looking at the seat map there is 62 J seats (not 58 as in Qantas' press releases). The space where 58HJK and 59HJK would usually reside looks like it will be galley space. It looks like the 'wet' galley (the rear-most Y galley) is being removed to make way for a 60-61DEFG.

Also interesting is the full row across in front and aft of doors three. Is it possible 1-2 toilets will be removed?

The 747 reconfiguration is a positive step forward.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that with the reconfiguration, only seat numbers 1A/K, 2A/K, 3A/E/F/K remain between the old and new.

Seats 2E/F & 4A/E/F/K disappear and 1B/J, 2B/J & 3B/J are introduced.

If wanting unfettered aisle access in either configuration, only 3E & 3F stay consistent should the operating configuration change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.