Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 reconfiguration update

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

747 reconfiguration update

There have been a few posts of late regarding the reconfiguration project for the 747.

- There are currently no 747 with the A380 style products yet
- There is no delay to the reconfiguration project. It was scheduled to start late 2011. The first reconfiguration will start in September
- The first aircraft is due out online in October (19th at this stage)
- A zone will have only 12 seats
- I thought Dallas would be seeing this aircraft first, but I am informed that QF15/16 Brisbane/Los Angeles will be seeing it before Dallas
- 9 aircraft are being reconfigured

Hope this helps clarify the current status of the project. As always, this information is subject to change.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
So QF is going from an A zone of 14 in F config to an A zone of 12 in J config?

The 9 aircraft I am presuming will be the 6 ER and the last 3 RR build aircraft?

This will give QF a fleet of 12 4 class A380, 8 3 class A380 and 9 3 class 744 aircraft?

Considering QF used to have 30 744 aircraft before EZE & DFW and when NRT and BNE-SIN were 330 routes does that not leave them short a few frames?

To split it out;
SYD-SIN-LHR 4 class A380 daily
MEL-SIN-LHR 4 class A380 daily
SYD-LAX 4 class A380 daily
MEL-LAX 4 class A380 daily
12 frames

SYD-LAX 3 class 744 daily
BNE-LAX 3 class 744 6x week
SYD-EZE 3 class 744 3x week
SYD-DFW 3 class 744 4x week
SYD-NRT 3 class 744 3x week
BNE-SIN 3 class 744 daily
SYD-PER 3 class 744 daily
SYD-HKG 3 class 744 daily
SYD-JNB 3 class 744 daily
13 frames ? (4 frames short)

SYD-BKK-LHR 3 class A380 daily
SYD-SIN-FRA 3 class A380 daily
MEL-HKG-LHR 3 class A380 daily
9 frames ? (1 frame short)

What have I messed up here or is QF short?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
nonce yes they are short, QF still has options on A380 frames. I think the 787 is supposed to replace some of the capacity with more point to point routes.
I do not know what QF will replace the remaining 747 with for the long southern oceans routes with as the current twins require a diversion to maintain ETOPS operations. Maybe QF will go for the A350 or new 777 versions but that is pure speculation suited to other internet sites.
Now regarding the the cabin refits, this article from the Australian confirms the programme is continuing as scheduled, regardless of what one poster continuely posts.
thanks for the true update eoinnz
WORK to boost the number of seats in Qantas Boeing 747 and Airbus A380 aircraft and make them more profitable will begin in August and be split between Australia and The Philippines.
The airline said yesterday that the work to change the cabins on nine Boeing 747-400s had been awarded to Qantas Engineering's Avalon facility after a competitive tender process involving Australian and overseas companies.

It said the work, along with regular maintenance of its Boeing 747 fleet, would help secure jobs for the Avalon plant's 600 employees and was expected to take a year to complete after it started in August.

The current cabins, including the galleys, will be stripped from the aircraft and replaced with new fittings, entertainment system and seats.

First-class cabins will be removed and the jumbos will be fitted with A380 seats in all cabins, including the fully lie-flat business seats, and their older style and problem-prone entertainment systems will be replaced by a new Panasonic system.

The changes will add 57 seats in a three-class configuration -- 58 in business, 36 in premium economy and 270 in economy -- and are part of a push by Qantas to boost productivity and increase the return on capital for its international operations.

In a move set to anger unions, Qantas will reconfigure 12 A380s at Lufthansa Technik's new facility in Manila to increase seat density from 450 to 484.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:29 pm

Hi all,

VH-OJS/OJT/OJU which will be the 3x RR B744s to be upgraded will also be fitted with the B744ER style overhead bins and cabin panels to match the other 6x ERs being upgraded.

All 9 aircraft will also get new galleys and toilets.

Cheers
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: QFF Platinum
Thanks for the info. Has me a little worried, I have a DFW-SYD flight booked in J at the end of Feb, and have managed to snag 4F (F seat/J service).

What are the chances of this changing to the 3-class 747 at this time?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:08 am
Suspended

Will they keep some old config of B747 to run Asia Pacific/domestic routes?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:14 pm
HW

Programs: QF LTG/WP, Various others = way too much flying
New IFE !! Hallelujah! A month ago I flew BNE-LAX and the IFE in Zone C (front bit of Y and Y+) was out for the first 5-6 hours, requiring a reboot of the entire aircraft. Fortunately we had brought alternate sources of entertainment for Miss HW otherwise we would have been in real trouble. I can't believe that this sort of IFE unreliability was allowed to continue for so many years.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by eoinnz
There have been a few posts of late regarding the reconfiguration project for the 747.

- There are currently no 747 with the A380 style products yet
- There is no delay to the reconfiguration project. It was scheduled to start late 2011. The first reconfiguration will start in September
In March 2010 QF announced this refit, with first 744 done by 2Q2011. In May 2010 the schedule was revised to change the date to 4Q2011. So there was a delay, but it occurred over a year ago; I missed the May announcement. We were both right, just going on different announced schedules. In retrospect the May 2010 revision was obviously to allow tender of the work by Manila etc. though it wound up being done by QF in Australia. Of course the possible engineers strike could decimate that schdule, fwiw. Presumably the components have been sourced and will be in inventory soon (unlike those A380s that were delayed due to lack of the A380 J seats).
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by chongcao
Will they keep some old config of B747 to run Asia Pacific/domestic routes?
The announced plan is no. QF seems to prefer to keep even older 763s for this purpose

To be fair the idea was to have brand new B787s on those routes by now; should be any decade now. I guess first QF livery 787 won't be until 2014 or 2015.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Interesting that they can squeeze 14 MkII Skybeds into Zone A.

Their 388 Pitch is 80" for MkII (MkI is 60"), I guess it will be similar, perhaps a little less.

I see that the row 58HJK exit seats are not there, neither are 59HJK. Maybe there's some crew rest provisioning.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 9, 2011 at 10:27 pm Reason: wrong seat info
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Why not just leave the 14 F sets in Zone A and offer J service ? It seems ridiculous to remove 14 seats and replace them with 12 worse seats.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ozzie
Why not just leave the 14 F sets in Zone A and offer J service ? It seems ridiculous to remove 14 seats and replace them with 12 worse seats.
Sorry, got that wrong - it's 14 seats.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
With new galleys going in, it's possible that Zone A is getting smaller...
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:45 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
And also the old 744 IFE is pretty long in the tooth (even if F is touchscreen), and I think the seat width, seat storage and overall comfort of the skybed II is superior to old First.

That said the downside to skybed II is lack of gate to gate IFE as the unit needs to be stowed
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:09 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by moa999
That said the downside to skybed II is lack of gate to gate IFE as the unit needs to be stowed
Agreed. The only thing I don't like about the MK2 Skybed is the in arm screen.

Then again, I dislike any seat with an in arm screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.