Search

Lan syd-akl-syd

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, Velocity Gold, HHonours Gold and many others
Lan syd-akl-syd

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at booking LAN Chile SYD-AKL-SYD for AUD$747 Return (J), which is a steal for Business class compared to NZ/QF and EK.

I was looking at the Qantas website who want to charge just over 2.2k for the exact same return flight.....so someones making a profit there.

So I'm going to book through the LAN website, what does this mean for status credits, adding FF number, choosing seats etc?

I have done a bit of reading, though a lot of it is old and people seem to have problems claiming status credits and points but wondering what the service is like too?

Thanks
Old May 8, 2011, 9:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I have booked LA flights (Chile domestic) through their website and had full access to seating with no problems. Their site gives more access to "better" seats when it knows your (QF) status. QF FF points and SCs have correctly posted each time. Just make sure your FF # appears on your BP and you should have no problems at all.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Before you book, see if it is cheaper to book 2 one way sectors, I gennerally pay the same but in NZD.
I arbitrage these flights to see if it is cheaper booking through LAN.com (USD) or other online travel agents (NZD).
Old May 8, 2011, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The only real difference between the QF and the LA code is the "~".
Old May 9, 2011, 12:26 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
The only real difference between the QF and the LA code is the "~".
...and the status bonus
Old May 9, 2011, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, Velocity Gold, HHonours Gold and many others
Thanks guys,

Have booked the flights for August, went to all the websites and 5/6 USA booking sites like expeida/travelocity etc and even LAN USA was dearer than the Australian website by $120.

$747 round trip in Business class......can't complain about that, hell Death Star charges $550 round trip on the same day and QF $600 so very happy.

It's also showing up in my bookings on the QF website and gave me full access to seat maps etc.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Yes, even when you factor in say an extra $400 for the hotel and dinner in Auckland, still far cheaper than anything else. The early start though is brutal (from experience).
Old May 10, 2011, 7:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by nonce
Yes, even when you factor in say an extra $400 for the hotel and dinner in Auckland, still far cheaper than anything else. The early start though is brutal (from experience).
Pussy - just stay up all night and get to the airport at the end of the night - where's your staying power?

Dave
Old May 10, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by thadocta
Pussy - just stay up all night and get to the airport at the end of the night - where's your staying power?

Dave
^
I do this flight regularly and in fact most of my flights across the Tasman require a 6 am. take-off so at teh airport around 4 am. It allows a full day of work or leisure on the east coast of Australia.
Old May 10, 2011, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pilotdude09
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at booking LAN Chile SYD-AKL-SYD for AUD$747 Return (J), which is a steal for Business class compared to NZ/QF and EK.

Originally Posted by nonce
I don't see that it is a steal against EK nor that it is far cheaper than anything else

Excluding taxes

EK SYD-AKL is AUD550 in O class
LA SYD-AKL is AUD550 in D class

EK AKL-SYD is AUD525 in O class
LA AKL-SYD is AUD419 in D class

giving a total price difference of no more than AUD106 ( neither charges fuel fines so the taxes should be about the same )

Given that EK has their departure ex AKL at , I would say, a far better departure time of 18:00 , I would rate the EK above the LA for schedule and quality wise, to me, is a no contest against the LA offering and the $106 is easily offset for me by the fact that , if I were to fly LA, it would require me to spend another night in Auckland and hotel costs more than $106 a night making LA more expensive than EK

The really delicious steal on AKL-SYD imo, is the EK 1st class fare of AUD837 . $312 more expensive than their business fare , but saves me about $210 in taxi fares since 1st class passengers get the chauffeur drive service for departure at Aukland and arrival into Sydney. An extra $100 for 1st class

both are complete steals against Qantas's ridiculously overpriced business fares for what is normally a domestic J hard product

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 10, 2011 at 4:00 pm
Old May 10, 2011, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see that it is a steal against EK nor that it is far cheaper than anything else

Excluding taxes

EK SYD-AKL is AUD550 in O class
LA SYD-AKL is AUD550 in D class

EK AKL-SYD is AUD525 in O class
LA AKL-SYD is AUD419 in D class

giving a total price difference of no more than AUD106 ( neither charges fuel fines so the taxes should be about the same )

Given that EK has their departure ex AKL at , I would say, a far better departure time of 18:00 , I would rate the EK above the LA for schedule and quality wise, to me, is a no contest against the LA offering and the $106 is easily offset for me by the fact that , if I were to fly LA, it would require me to spend another night in Auckland and hotel costs more than $106 a night making LA more expensive than EK

The really delicious steal on AKL-SYD imo, is the EK 1st class fare of AUD837 . $312 more expensive than their business fare , but saves me about $210 in taxi fares since 1st class passengers get the chauffeur drive service for departure at Aukland and arrival into Sydney. An extra $100 for 1st class

both are complete steals against Qantas's ridiculously overpriced business fares for what is normally a domestic J hard product
Book two weeks out and get a LAN I fare and the difference is much more.
If you live in AKL then no worries about the extra nights accomodation there but take EK then you need to pay the extra nights accomodation in Australia.
Also the Chauffeur-drive service is not available for passengers only flying between Australia and New Zealand Chauffeur-Drive where available
I do not know if you have high status with EK overrides this restriction but you still get the service flying First Class.
EK Business Class accross the Tasman is not that exceptional, NZ has better food (for the few services with Business Class) unless serving breakfast, and the LAN seat is good to take a quick snooze in the morning. I was tempted to try First Class but have yet to make the booking because I want to keep QF WP.
Old May 10, 2011, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Also the Chauffeur-drive service is not available for passengers only flying between Australia and New Zealand Chauffeur-Drive where available
I do not know if you have high status with EK overrides this restriction but you still get the service flying First Class.
Indeed, only 1st class passengers transtasman get the chauffeur service , which is why I was indicating that the difference between business (O) and 1st (P) class differential works out pretty small (approx $100) for me since the $200+ of taxis that the 1st class offering saves

I take EK transtasman F and find it pretty decent and very good for a 3hr flight

For those based in NZ, the saving of hotel over LA is lost

Checking on EF today, no I fares were listed for LA, cheapest listed was D which is why I compared at that level. Doing a dummy booking on lan.com for june on a day where I was available still brought up a minimum fare of D

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 10, 2011 at 6:34 pm
Old May 10, 2011, 7:39 pm

On lan.com, using the new New Zealand site (finally pricing in NZD!) 2 June prices out to be I return fare which is $793.92 NZD.
Emirates for 2/3 June, Business Return $1553.75 NZD
First Class Return $2373.75 NZD
A sizeable difference which I have yet been able to justify.
When there are sales on I do look at EK.
Of course both airlines are far cheaper than QF or NZ.
Old May 11, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
be prepared for OMG am checkin ex AKL and a backlog at the emigration desks. apart from that LA is fine.
Old May 11, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I've done the LA transtasman flight a few times now. For $750 return, it's a bargain and usually half the price of EK. Depite the OMG departure time, it means I can get in a full day's work after arriving into SYD. The catering on the SYD-AKL flight is disappointing though but the flatbed means I can catch a bit more sleep on the way back (to make up for the early departure).
I've also never had any problems with points or SCs coming through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.