Wiki Posts
Search

Why do people fly QF J-Class?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Why do people fly QF J-Class?

As much as I'd like to be a patriotic Aussie, it's been two years since I last flew QF internationally because every time I go to book a QF flight anywhere (I go to Asia and the US frequently), the prices are 20-40% higher than comparable carriers (like SQ into Asia and VA or NZ into the US). I'm lucky I work for a company with a J-Class travel policy, but they won't swallow QF prices.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Mainly because it is apart of OneWorld.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:00 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Because they have managed to find an award seat.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Or their organisation has negotiated a wonderful discount for Business Class fares.

However it must be said, most airlines charge more in their home markets than they do for their destination market. I can obtain a more competitive QF or ow fare from NZ than from Australia.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redslert
Mainly because it is apart of OneWorld.
Understand that trans-pacific (unless you can fly AA but they are not really what I'd call comparable to QF) but it's a big premium to pay for Freq Flyer points. And into Asia, CX kills QF on price too.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
Why do people fly QF J ?

ID90 ?
Staff Duty Travel ?

Beacuse someone else is paying for it....

Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
... especially for domestic flights where you could spread out over 6 or 7 economy seats for the same price
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
If you are paying out of your own pocket or budget and you are paying retail fares for QF J then yes, there are much cheaper & better carriers than QF to fly. With that said I am about to fly QF to AMS and back in paid J and QF actually was significantly cheaper than EK, EY, SQ and CX for the travel dates.

For trans-pacific flying then DL and UA are far cheaper and close enough in product, food and service to QF to pay significantly less if booking at 50+ days. Any less than that and again at retail QF is actually cheaper.

For trans-tasman, over on NZ works + and back in QF J is the best value.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nonce
If you are paying out of your own pocket or budget and you are paying retail fares for QF J then yes, there are much cheaper & better carriers than QF to fly. With that said I am about to fly QF to AMS and back in paid J and QF actually was significantly cheaper than EK, EY, SQ and CX for the travel dates.

For trans-pacific flying then DL and UA are far cheaper and close enough in product, food and service to QF to pay significantly less if booking at 50+ days. Any less than that and again at retail QF is actually cheaper.

Interesting because I do about 12 international trips a year (usally about 10 into Asia...mainly China, India & Japan...and 2 into the US) and QF haven't worked on about the last 24 of them. SQ murder QF on price into Asia every time and I'd rate SQ J-Class and QF J-Class about the same standard.

My last J-Class MEL<>ORD trip was $8k on NZ (which I flew) against a quoted $9k on UA and $12k on QF!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:17 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Airlines tend to be more expensive out of their "home" country - probably because they have more market power in those countries.

Compare a QF J SYD-LAX-SYD vs LAX-SYD-LAX ticket, or SYD-SIN-SYD vs SIN-SYD-SIN ticket. The ex-SYD prices are much higher.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nonce
I find EK J good value for trans tasman from NZ

I wouldn't pay QF business fares generally on long haul since they tend to be a lot more expensive for a lesser (imo) product. ex AU, I do think that there are numerous ppl blinkered into just thinking QF so QF is able to keep fares high plus I suspect that some major agencies are encouraged to push QF for kickbacks

Dave
Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
Airlines tend to be more expensive out of their "home" country - probably because they have more market power in those countries.
That theory probably holds for Y passengers...where QF's pricing is competitive anyway...but I'd bet that the majority of passengers in J (me included) have had their tickets paid for by their employer. There, the bottom-line is the bottom-line.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by og
Because they have managed to find an award seat.
Originally Posted by RBH58
That theory probably holds for Y passengers...where QF's pricing is competitive anyway...but I'd bet that the majority of passengers in J (me included) have had their tickets paid for by their employer. There, the bottom-line is the bottom-line.
True and true.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: QF Plat, GC Diamond
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
Very true.

Also, they know to charge what the market will bear.

QF charges on AU - SIN routes basically what SQ charges.

QF charges on AU - HKG routes basically what CX charges.

What you need to do is turn the tables, eg. Originate your flight with QF out of HK - then you'll see a big price difference. Well, that used to be the case.

One thing nobody mentioned: Why do people fly QF J-Class? A380

OK - SIA flies them, but not many others.

One other thing: Two of the best airline lounges in the world. Qantas First in MEL & SYD

OK, straight J won't get you access, but if you do it often enough, you'll soon make it to Platinum

Last edited by Princi; Mar 31, 2011 at 2:18 am Reason: forgot something
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Princi
Very true.

Also, they know to charge what the market will bear.

QF charges on AU - SIN routes basically what SQ charges.

QF charges on AU - HKG routes basically what CX charges.

What you need to do is turn the tables, eg. Originate your flight with QF out of HK - then you'll see a big price difference. Well, that used to be the case.

One thing nobody mentioned: Why do people fly QF J-Class? A380

OK - SIA flies them, but not many others.

One other thing: Two of the best airline lounges in the world. Qantas First in MEL & SYD

OK, straight J won't get you access, but if you do it often enough, you'll soon make it to Platinum
I can't agree.

In my experience QF J-Class pricing never matches SQ to SIN or CX to HKG. They didn't this week either.

A380? So? It's quiet. What else? (Sure QF's A380 product is ITS best).

My employer who (like...I suspect...the majority of most other J-Class passengers) is paying for my J ticket couldn't give a toss that QF's First Lounges are the best in Aus. Besides...an hour in the lounge...hours on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.