Search

Question about QF25

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, EK
Question about QF25

Long time lurker - first time poster

I have just booked an award flight LAX - SYD - LAX in business class, and I am unfortunately not booked on a direct flight on the return leg. I am booked on QF25 which is a 737-800 (MEL-LAX), and I have just noticed that these seats are more like a domestic business as opposed to an international business seat. Am I right in assuming this? Is it the same aircraft from MEL-AKL as it is from AKL-LAX?

Thank you in advance for any input!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
No, there is an equipment change. AKL-LAX uses an int'l config A330 which has skybeds, so not bad. It actually flies BNE-AKL-LAX-JFK-LAX-AKL-BNE but on different flight numbers for each sector. MEL-AKL also has a long wait time in AKL (something like 4 hours!), as well as being on a domestic config 738; though sometimes you get a special TT config 738 which has slightly better seats (but still more like the AA 738 F seats and far worse than normal QF J to LAX). It is, in short, an undesirable and sub-standard product in every way (schedule, convenience, service, aircraft quality, reliability), hence being shunned by paying pax and available for awards.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Number_6. Luckily I got on the A380 from LAX-SYD, so i guess I have to take the good with the bad!

So really the only problem will be the MEL-AKL being in a sub standard seat and the long layover - correct?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:01 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by number_6
No, there is an equipment change. AKL-LAX uses an int'l config A330 which has skybeds, so not bad. It actually flies BNE-AKL-LAX-JFK-LAX-AKL-BNE
No it doesn't. As I said in the other thread the A330 that operates AKL-LAX comes from SYD.
QF141 SYD-AKL 0615-1115 332
QF25 AKL-LAX 1410-0635 332
QF107 LAX-JFK 0850-1700 332
QF108 JFK-LAX 1830-2155 332
QF26 LAX-AKL 2330-0850+2 332
QF114 AKL-SYD 1225-1350 332

There is no A330 service to New Zealand from BNE.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:15 am
Original Poster

I have also just learned that the layover in AKL is less than 1.5 hours:

Arrive: 1140
Depart: 1305

Himeno - I am flying in June/July so it looks like the schedule has changed slightly from your above post
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Note the QF25 MEL-AKL will be flown by the Jetconnect aircraft which will by some accounts have a less comfortable new Business Class seat. It does have its own personal IFE screen and in seat power but not that comfortable to sit in.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Auzzee
I have also just learned that the layover in AKL is less than 1.5 hours:

Arrive: 1140
Depart: 1305

Himeno - I am flying in June/July so it looks like the schedule has changed slightly from your above post
Those timings are from this week. There are DLS timing changes coming up over the next few weeks. Seasonal changes in winds can also change the flight times.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Auzzee

So really the only problem will be the MEL-AKL being in a sub standard seat and the long layover - correct?
No, the other problem is the 6am departure!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by number_6
No, there is an equipment change. AKL-LAX uses an int'l config A330 which has skybeds, so not bad. It actually flies BNE-AKL-LAX-JFK-LAX-AKL-BNE but on different flight numbers for each sector.
Please stop posting this dis-information (along with some of the other constantly incorrect stuff that you post).

Dave
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by thadocta
Please stop posting this dis-information (along with some of the other constantly incorrect stuff that you post).

Dave
Wow acid tongue muchly?

Can't we all just get along here? I've noticed some pretty angry behaviour around here recently (and I thought we were one big happy family :P)
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Ah yes, good point. Oh well, it's a free ticket - I can suck it up!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 7:55 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by thadocta

Dave
Actually it is 100% correct, just varies by date O)

At least I try to help people on FT with advice and facts that are useful, even if they ruffle your feathers ... those tennis balls hitting a bit too hard, these days? Or has driving a cab gotten you down? Encouraging people to stop posting -- isn't that grounds for suspension of FT accounts
Old Mar 25, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
Originally Posted by serfty
Or if you are lucky enough to get trapped by nz dst, 5am ex MEL.
This was countered by an excellent JetConnect crew which made the flight great. And a near empty 744 ex AKL with a possibly even better crew
Arriving into LAX I wouldnt even know I left MEL at such an early hour...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:40 am

How do QF get away with

giving the same flight number to this when it is now only a 737 from MEL to AKL?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:48 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ollieinmelbourne
giving the same flight number to this when it is now only a 737 from MEL to AKL?
It is industry practice, surprisingly common even if it is deceptive marketing. Usually the single flight number when it is really a connection is done to get higher position in flight selection -- ie. deceptive marketing, trick the customer into thinking it is a direct flight. I think QF25 exists to fulfill a contractual obligation that QF made to MEL and AKL airport operators and maybe state tourist authoritiies (ie. QF was paid to offer a flight MEL-AKL-LAX and has to keep doing it even after deciding that a 744 is not cost effective on the route, never mind that the buyers thought they were paying for 744 service MEL-AKL-LAX). But this is speculation on my part, and anybody who actually knows can't comment on this thread due to non-disclosure agreements. So we can all be ignorant together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.