Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Help with cancelling online - can't find it!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 4:11 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold

Hi. I bought fully flexible tickets on QF via Qantas.com.au. I'm trying to cancel the booking and get a refund online. For the life of me, I cannot find where within the 'manage my booking' page I am supposed to click on.

The QF help page didn't say much beyond that I could cancel and refund a ticket online.

Could someone direct me where on their website I should look to complete this cancellation?

Thanks a heap.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Did you log in with your booking reference and last name?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the booking is in a state which allows cancellation online, there should be a button called "cancel" between the "online check in" and "select seats" options. If the cancel button is absent or greyed out, then you will need to phone the airline or agent with which you made the booking
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinium, Delta, Qantas, Lan
There is no cancelation online, the only thing you can do online is to change your ticket for different route/date. If you want you money back you will need to call customer service and you will be charged AU60 for it.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
Originally Posted by Trotamundo
There is no cancelation online, the only thing you can do online is to change your ticket for different route/date. If you want you money back you will need to call customer service and you will be charged AU60 for it.
Actually, the cancel button does appear but I have found it to be somewhat unreliable.

Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:29 pm

I have managed to cancel a fully refundable ticket online
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by bugayev
Actually, the cancel button does appear but I have found it to be somewhat unreliable.

There certainly is

I've used this myself. It does seem to be a little un-reliable as mentioned. If booked via a Travel Agent, you'll have to cancel via them, else if booked online with QF, it *should* appear (no guarantees though).
Old Mar 20, 2011, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the booking is in a state which allows cancellation online, there should be a button called "cancel" between the "online check in" and "select seats" options. If the cancel button is absent or greyed out, then you will need to phone the airline or agent with which you made the booking
I think you got it. My flights go through VIC, TAS and NSW - perhaps one of those prompts the non-availability of this feature. I forgot that one of the flights was JetStar (though a JetFlex fare). Here is what I see, there isn't a button for cancellation. Notably, the teaser screen that comes up while I am waiting for this page lists cancellation as an option - I guess that is only in certain circumstances.

I booked directly on Qantas.com.au. It sounds like I will be subject to a fee to cancel via the phone. Is that fee waived if I cancel in person (ie: at the airport)?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The problem is you have a jetstar flight MEL-LST; anecdotes indicate this could be the main issue.

FWIW: JetFlex ≠ "Fully Refundable"

To cancel you will need to call - if for no other reason than a JQ flight was booked.

For a start there is a $50 cancellation fee for Jetflex bookings.

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/fare-types.aspx

Last edited by serfty; Mar 22, 2011 at 5:23 am
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
The problem is you have a jetstar flight MEL-LST; anecdotes indicate this could be the main issue.

FWIW: JetFlex ≠ "Fully Refundable"

To cancel you will need to call - if for no other reason than a JQ flight was booked.

For a start there is a $50 cancellation fee for Jetflex bookings.

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/fare-types.aspx
Oops. Thanks for this clarification. Will the only fee be a $50 fee...or am I also subject to a separate QF fee?

Is there any difference in fee if I do this on the phone versus at a QF ticket office?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:40 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Qantas gets to pretend that QF and JQ are separate unrelated airlines (despite both being 100% owned) and will charge the JQ and QF fees separately. What fees apply depend upon you specific booking and commercial relationship with QF, but for most people there will be the QF "consultant assistant booking" handling charge of AUD 40 whether by phone or in person. Pretty dismal that you have ~10% penalty for cancelling a "fully refundable" booking; note J fares do not have this fee, fwiw. Same fee for phone or in person at airport or a QF office.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Update

I called QF's US sales office today to obtain a refund on my JQ/QF ticket.

Once she pulled up my record, the agent immediately said that she couldn't refund the ticket because I had a JQ segment. I pointed out that I had Fully Flexible QF fares and a JetFlex fare for JQ, which got the 'oh, hang on' response.

She confirmed that she could refund the entire amount, less only an A$50 fee. I asked if there were any other charges, and she said it was just the one fee. I've received email confirmation of the same from Qantas at this point as well.

So, while not a happy ending having to pay a fee to get out of a refundable ticket, at least it wasn't as bad as it might have been.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I called QF's US sales office today to obtain a refund on my JQ/QF ticket.

Once she pulled up my record, the agent immediately said that she couldn't refund the ticket because I had a JQ segment. I pointed out that I had Fully Flexible QF fares and a JetFlex fare for JQ, which got the 'oh, hang on' response.

She confirmed that she could refund the entire amount, less only an A$50 fee. I asked if there were any other charges, and she said it was just the one fee. I've received email confirmation of the same from Qantas at this point as well.

So, while not a happy ending having to pay a fee to get out of a refundable ticket, at least it wasn't as bad as it might have been.
Jet Flex fares are refundable but there is a penalty of $50 for cancelling , so you got as full a refund as you were entitled to . See the table at the bottom of http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/fare-types.aspx . Does seem that they did not charge you any service fees for doing it over the phone
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Jet Flex fares are refundable but there is a penalty of $50 for cancelling , so you got as full a refund as you were entitled to . See the table at the bottom of http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/fare-types.aspx . Does seem that they did not charge you any service fees for doing it over the phone
You missed the point. I was fine paying the $50 fee. There was discussion, which turned out to be wrong, that I'd have to pay the JQ $50 fee and a $40 QF telephone assist fee. It turns out it was just one fee, not both.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
You missed the point. I was fine paying the $50 fee. There was discussion, which turned out to be wrong, that I'd have to pay the JQ $50 fee and a $40 QF telephone assist fee. It turns out it was just one fee, not both.
I may well have done. I didn't see anything in the post about the discussion about the additional $40, just read that you were slightly unhappy at having to pay $50 to cancel a fully refundable ticket while my poiint was that the JetFlex fares are not fully refundable but do have a $50 cancellation fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.