Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Earn Status with Qantas Whilst Using BA Benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I've recently moved over to Australia for work and have status with BA (Silver/ OW Sapphire/QF Gold). All of my recent flights have been with Qantas so I have looked at joining their FF program. However, as my BA Silver membership is the equal in Oneworld status to QF Gold I am reluctant to forego my benefits (lounge access etc) to build up my Qantas status. Therefore, is it possible in any way, shape or form to collect points on my QFF account but use my BA card to access the lounges at the same time?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
As in operate a QFF account and credit flights to it, but use your existing BA status/Silver Card to access QF lounges at the same time? Absolutely.

There are credit cards out there (I don't know which is best) that will accummulate to QFF also.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
This has been covered in depth several times now on FT, QF allows entry of at least 4 different FF numbers into all QF bookings, which includes the 2 that you are interested in (BA for status, QF for accrual). Most Oneworld airlines also allow these 2 (however agents aren't so familiar with the process). Even without having BA number in the booking, you can easily get lounge access by showing the BAEC card.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
The reason to put two numbers into the booking would be mostly I think to avail yourself of better preallocated seating.

What I would suggest though is that if this becomes a problem or is overly complex then preallocate seating and at check in ask them to change the FF number.

All other benefits can be availed by flashing the card...
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:58 pm
Original Member

Status has lots of other benefits: upgrades (paid) priority, op-up priority, irrop priority, status visible to cabin crew (sometimes worthwhile) ... and it is free, so why not do it? None of these benefits are available by flashing a card (or are too late).
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for all of the helpful info. I'll try changing my FF number in the lounge on my next flight.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:37 pm
Original Member

No, you don't change it, you add it, so both numbers are in the same PNR at the same time. This can be done by any agent at any time, so can be done on the phone after you book, for example, or at check-in. Silly to leave it until the lounge to add, and you definitely don't want to change it as that would affect accrual & status.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
The point from this thread is that you should simply ask QF. Any of the phone agents can add both numbers.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by number_6
This has been covered in depth several times now on FT, QF allows entry of at least 4 different FF numbers into all QF bookings, which includes the 2 that you are interested in (BA for status, QF for accrual). Most Oneworld airlines also allow these 2 (however agents aren't so familiar with the process). Even without having BA number in the booking, you can easily get lounge access by showing the BAEC card.
You really need to stop handing out misleading information.

Have you yet not noticed that the poster who made the statement has not even answered my challenge about the implementation part?

Whilst capturing 3 pieces of information and processing of this makes business sense (in respect to awards), considering QF's current setup, what value is it to process and utilise FQTS information? Why would QF want to reward someone crediting miles to another programme? The cost to report on this, nor even monitor this makes no sense. Just think how many pax actually put in different numbers against both FQTV and FQTS fields.

Just because a function exists in a system does not actually mean it has been implemented. SQ do have a reason to do this (PPS), but QF not. Many systems in place across various business often have functionality which is either not utilised at all or alternatively not properly implemented.

If the OP wants to get the benefits provided by their BA status, they broadly have two options:

1. Start using a QF number against all bookings and hand over their BA card to gain access to lounges

OR

2. Enter their BA numbers into their bookings when buying their fares, but change the flights to their QF numbers when either checking into their flights, doing so at the lounge, or finally at the gate.

If following this method it is strongly advised the OP seek a reprint of their boarding card showing the QF number against the flight. It should be noted that there are quite a number of reports of flights crediting to the original account accidentally, so option 2 should be used with caution.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:01 pm

You really need to stop providing misleading posts like the above.

Have you yet not noticed that the poster who made the statement has not even answered my challenge about the implementation part?

Whilst capturing 3 pieces of information and processing of this makes business sense (in respect to awards), considering QF's current setup, what value is it to process and utilise FQTS information? Why would QF want to reward someone crediting miles to another programme? The cost to report on this, nor even monitor this makes no sense. Just think how many pax actually put in different numbers against both FQTV and FQTS fields.

Just because a function exists in a system does not actually mean it has been implemented. SQ do have a reason to do this (PPS), but QF not. Many systems in place across various business often have functionality which is either not utilised at all or alternatively not properly implemented.

If the OP wants to get the benefits provided by their BA status, they broadly have two options:

1. Start using a QF number against all bookings and hand over their BA card to gain access to lounges

OR

2. Enter their BA numbers into their bookings when buying their fares, but change the flights to their QF numbers when either checking into their flights, doing so at the lounge, or finally at the gate.

If following this method it is strongly advised the OP seek a reprint of their boarding card showing the QF number against the flight. It should be noted that there are quite a number of reports of flights crediting to the original account accidentally, so option 2 should be used with caution.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:46 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
You really need to stop handing out misleading information.
How is it misleading? I do this (2 FF numbers in same PNR), it works. Why do you insist that it does not? Some agents dont know how to enter it, mostly at LHR where it is usually a shambles, but otherwise it has worked flawlessly for the past few years now. Seems like a useful function and a good idea for QF to have implemented it. Now I use AA and not BAEC as the 2nd number, but that should not matter -- or are you saying that there is some BAEC problem that keeps it from working the same way as it does with AA?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:11 pm

How is it misleading? I do this (2 FF numbers in same PNR), it works. Why do you insist that it does not? Some agents dont know how to enter it, mostly at LHR where it is usually a shambles, but otherwise it has worked flawlessly for the past few years now. Seems like a useful function and a good idea for QF to have implemented it. Now I use AA and not BAEC as the 2nd number, but that should not matter -- or are you saying that there is some BAEC problem that keeps it from working the same way as it does with AA?
I suggest you re-read my post.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... Some agents dont know how to enter it ...
I think the problem is either:
  • They are are not trained to do this correctly (or remember how), or
  • There is a default 'easy' option in their systems and takes a lot more effort to enter numbers against the different codes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.