Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How to contact Qantas Human Resources - possible work experience or advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Bronze

Hi all,
This is my first post. I am currently in the 10th grade and our work experience programme is coming up soon (we just got told about it today, the programme is run over 2 days in June).

I was wondering if anyone has an email address which I can directly contact Qantas' human resources, as I am guessing that is my best spot to see what work experience programmes they offer for someone wanting to become a commercial pilot. Whilst I understand that they may not run such programmes, I am sure that if that is the case, they may have some possible advice to give me on where to go et cetera. I understand that I may have to also look at such experience outside of the 2 days the school has allotted us. Do Qantas still offer the ability for one to 'sit in' or be invited up into the cockpit post 9/11? FS2004 can only give you so much of a feel of what it is like to fly a commercial jet. Even if I have to book a flight (i.e. from my home town Adelaide to Melbourne in the morning and then a return flight on the same day), what steps are required to go through to be 'invited in', if it is available at all.

Thanks for your time all,
Will

(I also acknowledge that due to the short time for my application to be sent through our school, it may not be available at all due to such time constraints)

Last edited by dj67308; Feb 4, 2011 at 6:29 pm Reason: extra info
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:57 pm

Welcome to FT!

I don't believe you'll have much luck due to the requirement for ASIC's to be issued for anyone working in secure areas.

I did look into this back in the 90's when I was interested in sitting in Row 00 for a job, but QF and AN didn't offer anything back then.

Perhaps contact head office in Mascot and ask them for details.

Just saw this though: http://www.careers.qantas.com.au/App...Questions.aspx

From this:
Q. Does Qantas Engineering offer work experience?

A. Unfortunately due to safety and security requirements we are unable to provide work experience opportunities in operational areas of our business.
It mentions Qantas Engineering, but the 'operational areas of our business' may be a little bit of a bad sign

Let us know if you have success though! Try TT and DJ too. Never know!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:15 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Unfortunately, I think you will have zero chance of getting to sit in the flight deck to see how they do things. This is sad really as it is a great way to see how a team of true professionals go about their work.

Decades ago I wanted to do what you are trying to do now, but QF made it quite clear to me that I went to "the wrong school" . Hopefully, you will go further.

For entry into a pilot career, often the Air Force is the way in as a first step. They will quickly see if you are "the right type" and can handle the training.

One other thing, you should be congratulated with your writing skills. That is the first hurdle with any job application.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by og
One other thing, you should be congratulated with your writing skills. That is the first hurdle with any job application.
+1

There are far too many kids out there (heck even people my age) who cannot structure a sentence to save their lives.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:01 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewbles
..There are far too many kids out there (heck even people my age) who cannot structure a sentence to save their lives.
When I have run recruitment panels at work and I see an application with poor punctuation or grammar, I think "OMG, will I have to edit every single piece of external correspondence if he / she wins the job"? Their appliction is duly culled because of "failure to effectively communicate".

Last edited by og; Feb 5, 2011 at 12:05 am Reason: Can't spell "duly" - I guess I cull my own application!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by og
When I have run recruitment panels at work and I see an application with poor punctuation or grammar, I think "OMG, will I have to edit every single piece of external correspondence if he / she wins the job"? Their appliction is duely culled because of "failure to effectively communicate".
"Duly" perhaps? Ah, irony.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:06 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
dj67308

If you send me a PM, I will put you in touch with a good buddy of mine. He is currently a 767 Captain for Qantas. And when he started his training, he was one of the youngest ever to complete the course. He started flying Cessnas. And his career at QF started on the ramp.

More importantly, he's originally from Adelaide. I have no idea if he can help, but I can assure you he will be far more valuable to you than some drone in HR.

One thing you will learn as you grow older, is that it is not what you know, but who you know.

And I agree, your writing skills are way too good for someone in the 10th grade.

Good luck.

PS Welcome to FT by the way. We need some young folks around here.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by og
When I have run recruitment panels at work and I see an application with poor punctuation or grammar, I think "OMG, will I have to edit every single piece of external correspondence if he / she wins the job"? Their appliction is duely culled because of "failure to effectively communicate".
Agreed, which is why I have been construed as being racist. I work in IT, where a lot of Indian University graduates are shall we say keen to do 'whatever it takes' to get into the industry.

Alas their degree from the University of Bangalore or other institution does not teach them the art of english communications.

It's a world where one word can cost you your job, or your company its very existence. Damn litigious societies!
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:01 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevenshev
"Duly" perhaps? Ah, irony.
Irony indeed - thankyou for the correction. I openly encourage my group to ask colleagues to edit their work. Everyone sees different things.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Bronze
Thanks all for your responses. I have contacted Eightblack via PM and look forward to hearing from his buddy at Qantas.

It's a terrible shame that invites into the cockpit are next to impossible ever since 2001 (for good reason I guess).

Hopefully some of you will be able to assist in a question that I have just thought of - are there pilots employed by Qantas (or Virgin Blue, Jetstar etc) who wouldn't have had an involvement in the Air Force? I don't believe I'm the Air Force 'type' or so to say! Are there pilots out there that can end up in row 00 of a commercial jet without going near the Air Force?

Also thank you for your kind compliments on my writing skills!

Will
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:00 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Will, yes of course. My Qantas buddy never went near the airforce. Dont think for a minute that this makes you a better pilot. And dont be intimidated by those that did. Focus on what you can bring to the table...

Standby, sending you an email shortly.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:03 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Yes there are many pilots without a military background.
Interestingy after being discharged from the military, non-aviation, I was going to join the Ansett cadet programme. AN went into the airline heaven....
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:03 am

Im from ireland and i need to report on a pilot can somebody please help with this th

Originally Posted by eightblack
dj67308

If you send me a PM, I will put you in touch with a good buddy of mine. He is currently a 767 Captain for Qantas. And when he started his training, he was one of the youngest ever to complete the course. He started flying Cessnas. And his career at QF started on the ramp.

More importantly, he's originally from Adelaide. I have no idea if he can help, but I can assure you he will be far more valuable to you than some drone in HR.

One thing you will learn as you grow older, is that it is not what you know, but who you know.

And I agree, your writing skills are way too good for someone in the 10th grade.

Good luck.

PS Welcome to FT by the way. We need some young folks around here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.