Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Help with Booking an Overseas Award Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Booking an Overseas Award Flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Bronze
Smile Help with Booking an Overseas Award Flight

Hi,

I am planning to take my Mother Overseas for her 60th birthday next year at the end of October and have started trying to book the flights using my award points. Not before time either so it would seem..

My plan at the moment is as follows:

1) Sydney to New York
2) New York to London
3) London to Venice - no direct flights so I am thinking of taking this out and buying some cheap flights via Easyjet etc at a later date
4) Paris to Sydney - with a stopover in Hong Kong due to the length of the flight.

I have been using the Qantas website to search for flights and am finding it difficult to get some of the shorter length flights without multiple stopovers for these destinations.

Any help from experienced Frequent Flyers on the best way to organise the trip would be appreciated.

We will be Flying Economy (unfortunately!!!).

Thanks,
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Katec1, no punt meant, but if you want your mum to enjoy it, pay her trip in business and follow her on points in whY, but please do not subject her to RTW in economy!!! Both of you would be sorry...
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:34 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by katec1
....My plan at the moment is as follows:

1) Sydney to New York
2) New York to London
3) London to Venice - no direct flights so I am thinking of taking this out and buying some cheap flights via Easyjet etc at a later date
4) Paris to Sydney - with a stopover in Hong Kong due to the length of the flight.

I have been using the Qantas website to search for flights and am finding it difficult to get some of the shorter length flights without multiple stopovers for these destinations....
Which short flights are those? Only LON-VCE is short and you intend to buy it separately (BA serves Milan which is a short train ride from Venice).

Going in Y might be better on FJ SYD-NAN-LAX-JFK, or via HNL. Stopover in HKG is an excellent idea, great airport with easy train access and a nice city to visit (plus some good shopping).
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:30 am
Original Poster

I would love to do Business but unfortunately the budget won't allow.

By shorter flights I meant for example 21 hours instead of 26 hours for the SYD to JFK trip. I will look at NAN or HNL - thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:50 am

BA have 3 flights a day from LGW to VCE and 2 from LHR. If I remember correctly Iberia also serve VCE from MAD.

If you are looking at a LCC like Easyjet to get to Venice then you will probably fly into Treviso Airport which is in no way an inconvenience - its a simple 40 min 5 Euro bus ride to Piazzale Roma in Venice where you board the vaporetos to your hotel
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info for Venice - good to know the distance and the cost involved from the airport to the city.
Appreciate the help.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Hi,

I am planning to take my Mother Overseas for her 60th birthday next year at the end of October and have started trying to book the flights using my award points. Not before time either so it would seem..

My plan at the moment is as follows:

1) Sydney to New York
2) New York to London

I have been using the Qantas website to search for flights and am finding it difficult to get some of the shorter length flights without multiple stopovers for these destinations.

Any help from experienced Frequent Flyers on the best way to organise the trip would be appreciated.

We will be Flying Economy (unfortunately!!!).

Thanks,
How many pints do you have to play with if it is not a rude question.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Approx 316,000 - the flights I have been playing with add to about 280,000 so not much left over.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Approx 316,000 - the flights I have been playing with add to about 280,000 so not much left over.
I have some other questions.

Do you need to go via USA on outbound journey?

What points are you likely to earn over the next 6 months?

My experience tells me that it is only out of and into Australia that you need to claim early.

What sort of dollars if any are you thinking of spending on ancillary flights that may not be award tickets.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

The original plan was London first and NY last however on doing research I discovered that Europe is much less expensive in November compared to October so I reversed the trip. My mums only request that she be in NY for her actual birthday so I moved the trip back a few weeks.

In terms of points, I don't travel (it has taken me years to collect my current total) so the number I earn over the next 12 months will be minimal, approx 20-30,000.

The only flight I am planning on purchasing is a discount fare from Florence/Pisa to Paris.

The leg that I have been finding availability difficult is NY to London, the 7 hour flight. I am trying to minimise overall flying / stopover time as we are only away for 3 weeks and that is the most challenging aspect.

Can I ask what are your thoughts on flying CX? Many of the flights out of Paris are with them and I have never been on that carrier.

Cheers
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Have you tried higher classes for the NYC-LON flight? Business class is quite good value, if you want to toss in a treat along the way.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

I have booked a flight today from CDG to SYD on a QF Airbus. The CDG to SIN via LHR is business class and the SIN to SYD is economy. I realised I did not have enough points to do the entire trip business class and I couldn't find a convenient business class seat from SIN anyway. I tried to get PE on a couple of sectors (a suggestion from the forum) but availability and convenience were also hard to find.

I have enough points left over for the JFK to LHR flight so I only have to purchase the SYD to JFK sector. Hopefully there will be some cheap fares over the next 12 months.

I have never been Business Class before so I am looking forward to it....
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:09 am

Programs: QF Gold
Is the flight from Pisa to Paris on Ryanair? If so, it flies into Beauvais which is a long way from Paris - around 80kn. She will have to take the shuttle (1 1/2 hours) which drops her off at Porte Maillot and then metro in. The risk is that the plane is late (and IMHO they generally are)and you end up getting into Paris very late.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Thats good to know about Beauvais airport. I will keep it mind when I start looking at flights for this sector.

A friend also told me today to be careful when booking with airlines like Ryanair about luggage restrictions as many of the flights only allow carry-on luggage and charge a small fortune for extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.