Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Weird message on recent QF FF statement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC

Received my statement today which reads:

Originally Posted by Qantas
Qantas participates in a number of loyalty programs of partner airlines. So, if you're a member of a loyalty program of one of our partner airlines, you could earn points when travelling on eligible Qantas flights and fares in any program Qantas participates in. Check with your frequent flyer program for more details.
Are they trying to tell me something? Is this telling me I would be better off crediting to either AA or BA?

Whilst the answer is undoubtably yes, LTG is not really that far away for me.....

Last edited by Traveloguy; Nov 16, 2010 at 2:16 pm Reason: typo (missing r)
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Could this be a tacit "bugger off since you are not in Australia"?!

I elected not to receive paper statement so I have not seen this statement, but my situation is the same as yours, i.e. close to LTG, and I'm going to stick to QFF until I get it.

Or, could the statement be printed on their standard public letterhead, if those wordings are just in small letters in the corner?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Could this be a tacit "bugger off since you are not in Australia"?!

I elected not to receive paper statement so I have not seen this statement, but my situation is the same as yours, i.e. close to LTG, and I'm going to stick to QFF until I get it.

Or, could the statement be printed on their standard public letterhead, if those wordings are just in small letters in the corner?
The writing is that big writing at the bottom right of the statement just below the status credit and points total line, so it's far from hidden.

I agree it is probably a "bugger off" statement. Perhaps they are now aware of my increasing number of flights with their Star Alliance competition as one of the TAs often puts in the all my FF numbers against my bookings? (although I'm not convinced this information is processed by QF or BD for that matter)

I have kept my paper statements "just in case" I ever decide to go back. They tend to be good proof that you travel with your partner for immigration purposes apparently.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Methinx it's a request to credit your oneworld/partner airline travel to QFF. I believe QFF get runumerated by the marketing airline when you do this.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Methinx it's a request to credit your oneworld/partner airline travel to QFF. I believe QFF get runumerated by the marketing airline when you do this.
Not sure I agree:

Originally Posted by QF
Qantas participates in a number of loyalty programs of partner airlines. So, if you're a member of a loyalty program of one of our partner airlines, you could earn points when travelling on eligible Qantas flights and fares in any program Qantas participates in. Check with your frequent flyer program for more details.
(my bolding)
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
I think you are reading the sentence the other way round from intended. If QF meant to say that, it would say "So, if you fly on one of our partner airlines, you could earn points on Qantas Frequent Flyer. Check on qantas.com for more details."

But in fact, they are encouraging Traveloguy to credit his Qantas flights to partner airlines' schemes.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
The writing is that big writing at the bottom right of the statement just below the status credit and points total line, so it's far from hidden.
That's definitely not just a "standard statement in fine print" then. I'm really starting to think it's a "bugger off" statement.

Maybe QF is wanting you to bugger off to another OW scheme so that they don't have to give you LTG

I bet I will get the same if I received a paper statement. While QF wouldn't know my Star Alliance travel, they can see that most of my SCs come from flying non-QF (mainly BA), although if they look carefully enough, they will also see that any flights on routes served by QF have been on QF.

I have kept my paper statements "just in case" I ever decide to go back. They tend to be good proof that you travel with your partner for immigration purposes apparently.
I assume you are talking about partner migration? I recommend keeping some of your boarding passes when you travel together as well as the statement. You can then even prove that you sat next to each other.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:13 pm
hdm

Programs: QF
I read it a different way, as in... we think you might also be a member of another FF programme, but you can still fly QF and get the flights credited to your other programme (if you want to favour that programme over QF FF). I thought they were trying to get you to fly more with QF.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:28 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hdm
I read it a different way, as in... we think you might also be a member of another FF programme, but you can still fly QF and get the flights credited to your other programme (if you want to favour that programme over QF FF). I thought they were trying to get you to fly more with QF.
+1. Variables like this are meant to increase revenue by selling more products and services. I read it as fly with us and credit to your other program if you wish. This may be the result of a data swap between QF and another OW carrier, or you may have credited points on a QF flight to another program already?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:45 pm

Maybe I am (and possibly Traveloguy is) becoming a cynical old bag* and the message could well be entirely innocent.

In fact, I hope it is and I hope non-Australia based high-tier QF FFs are not becoming unwanted. We DO bring some value to QF despite not being based in Australia any more.

*Sorry Traveloguy, I'm not calling you an 'old bag'!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 16, 2010 at 6:52 pm
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Also remember that when you credit to QFF, you get mileage for every flight. If you credit to other programs (eg CX, BA), far fewer flights count towards their programs. So QF saves money if you're not careful!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Also remember that when you credit to QFF, you get mileage for every flight. If you credit to other programs (eg CX, BA), far fewer flights count towards their programs. So QF saves money if you're not careful!
Not anymore. Most of the recent BA changes would play well for me leaving me with significantly more RDM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Maybe I am (and possibly Traveloguy is) becoming a cynical old bag* and the message could well be entirely innocent.

In fact, I hope it is and I hope non-Australia based high-tier QF FFs are not becoming unwanted. We DO bring some value to QF despite not being based in Australia any more.

*Sorry Traveloguy, I'm not calling you an 'old bag'!
I am completely with you on this one, and I think I have proven my cynical old bag tendencies well and truly here on FT over the years.

What reinforces this was a comment made by a QF premium desk rep who when I complained (nicely) about the recent lounge changes, she also suggested that perhaps it was time to look at crediting QF flights to there. To use her words "you know they are oneworld too"!

The irony is that the upcoming BD changes will almost certainly yield a BA status match, although in my case I still have 18 or so months left with QF based on current earning and I suspect BD might have 7 months as best.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:57 am

Programs: QF:SG, DJ:Gold, A|Club Silver, HH Silver, AN Sapphire :(
Originally Posted by hdm
My thought as well. Almost the exact same wording- it might even be the exact same wording- appears in Australian Way each month next to the route map at the back. I figured it was there to encourage members of other programs to choose QF when flying those routes.

To add another data point: that paragraph wasn't included in my statement today.

Last edited by RedNeckDrek; Nov 17, 2010 at 2:01 am Reason: wording
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:59 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity, *Alliance
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Received my statement today which reads:

Are they trying to tell me something? Is this telling me I would be better off crediting to either AA or BA?

Whilst the answer is undoubtably yes, LTG is not really that far away for me.....
Ask the Qantas rep "Red Roo" who has posted here asking questions of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.