Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dose Quantas match AA status?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It's basically moot and there is no need for a status match.

Since the CNS-SYD flight is part of an international itinerary including flights to/from the Americas, the OP & spouse are both entitled to 2 pieces at 23kg (50lb) per piece if traveling in Economy.

International^ to/from The Americas+
2 pieces at 23kg (50lb) per piece
^ International Travel is defined as travel between two or more countries including any flights within those countries when they are combined with international travel.
[FWIW] if addition allowance was applied by Qantas by dint of being Ruby, the additional allowance would be an additional piece.[/FWIW]

In any case, the OP should make sure they have a printout of the page linked to by number_6 available on check-in in CNS (ONLY use it if necessary).

Last edited by serfty; Sep 26, 2010 at 12:54 pm
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately, JFK to CNS & CNS to SYD are two diff tkts. We used BA award pts, 40k for JFK to CNS & 15k for CNS to SYD. So CNS to SYD is an Aus domestic tkt.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:38 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by kiyotaka
Unfortunately, JFK to CNS & CNS to SYD are two diff tkts. We used BA award pts, 40k for JFK to CNS & 15k for CNS to SYD. So CNS to SYD is an Aus domestic tkt.
Doesn't matter - Qantas treat it all as one itinerary, even if on seperate tickets/PNR's, all you need to do is produce evidence (e-ticket receipt is enough) that you are international travellers, and you will get the international allowance.

Iy is QF's way of snagging the inbound market.

Dave
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Simmo
I bet this is a corporate status match or company deal rather than an individual status match that the general public could get.
Originally Posted by dtm1
I seem to recall Simongr posting about this a long time ago on the AFF board, and IIRC, it was in his own capacity. Perhaps they just wanted to get him off their back ?????

Anyway, I'm sure he can confirm one way or the other.
Sort of yes and no. It wasnt a company wide deal but it was because my boss's boss was CL and was not very happy with QF at the time so they were doing unusual stuff to get "us" on side - I was getting bad seating allocations as a AA EXP and they couldn't improve them other than being a QFF member.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by thadocta
Doesn't matter - Qantas treat it all as one itinerary, even if on seperate tickets/PNR's, ...Iy is QF's way of snagging the inbound market.
But a stopover is not allowed with separate tickets, it must be a same-day transfer to get the increased (international) allowance -- same ticket allows stopover. I'm presuming the OP is stopping in CNS (otherwise they would have booked the award differently), so unless the QF staff makes a mistake, they will have to pay for any overweight ex-CNS (and that has become quite expensive per kg). Still generous of QF, but not a giant loophole (otherwise anyone with an international flight in the next 12 months would get that allowance for all domestic flights in the interim!).
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by number_6
But a stopover is not allowed with separate tickets, it must be a same-day transfer to get the increased (international) allowance -- same ticket allows stopover. I'm presuming the OP is stopping in CNS (otherwise they would have booked the award differently), so unless the QF staff makes a mistake, they will have to pay for any overweight ex-CNS (and that has become quite expensive per kg). Still generous of QF, but not a giant loophole (otherwise anyone with an international flight in the next 12 months would get that allowance for all domestic flights in the interim!).
Not so, otherwise it would be pretty useless for inbound tourists. Unless they have changed the rules since I worked there (and I have seen no changes to the published wording) the international allowance is granted for the duration of the journey, even if on seperate PNR's (provided proof of inbound international travel is provided).

Dave
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Until early this year Qantas had a specific 12 month indication published on their web site.

They have recently made it more vague; however there is no specific mention of ticket or booking - simply "travel", with a note that international travel includes sectors within the one country when combined with an overall routing that includes 'international travel' ... 'to/from the Americas'.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Have you seen them do this recently? The new system seems to be very good at determining the correct allowance and charging accordingly

Dave
It has been a year since I have seen it personally, but yes I have seen this.

Personally I think it is a good gesture and should be a little more formal.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
It has been a year since I have seen it personally, but yes I have seen this.

Personally I think it is a good gesture and should be a little more formal.
It changed late last year when they started enforcing luggage limits courtesy of Altea.

I was told by QF at PER last Christmas that whilst my luggage was heavy, they were allowing it as 'the system would not let us check it in if it was over your allowance'. I have no idea how much say the International staff have, but the DOM staff said they had no way of overriding it.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewbles
It changed late last year when they started enforcing luggage limits courtesy of Altea.

I was told by QF at PER last Christmas that whilst my luggage was heavy, they were allowing it as 'the system would not let us check it in if it was over your allowance'. I have no idea how much say the International staff have, but the DOM staff said they had no way of overriding it.
Your probably right that things have changed since the Altea introduction although I swear my partner got the benefit. That said, my point still stands.

As Altea seems to happily allow other Emeralds to get good seats, it should also apply the luggage benefits (IMHO) provided to QF Plats. My personal feeling is that OW has to act more as an alliance, and if CX can do it, QF probably should too. Even AA gives their luggage benefits to other OW elites (and it is posted on their website too).

BA is another matter. I am not sure I will ever see them coming to the party when it comes to giving luggage benefits to OW elites.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
As Altea seems to happily allow other Emeralds to get good seats, it should also apply the luggage benefits (IMHO) provided to QF Plats. My personal feeling is that OW has to act more as an alliance, and if CX can do it, QF probably should too. Even AA gives their luggage benefits to other OW elites (and it is posted on their website too).
If Oneworld was to give a luggage allowance benefit, then I would expect QF to set the luggage system accordingly. Quite correctly, the system does now work to try to ensure that excess fees are collected and there is no additional allowances for those with OW status other than QF

Dave
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:38 am
Original Poster

I called Quantas & was assured 2 baggage pp was allowed for CNS to SYD flt, although it was tkted separately from JFK to CNS flt. Quantas man said just show a copy of the itinerary, as Dave correctly stated on post #18.

AA site states AA gold gets OW ruby which entitles one to get business class priority chk-in as well as pre-released preferential seating in OW flts, however Quantas man said NO. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
AA site states AA gold gets OW ruby which entitles one to get business class priority chk-in as well as pre-released preferential seating in OW flts, however Quantas man said NO. Any thoughts?
Yes: The airline really, really isn't called "Quantas".

OW Ruby should definitely get you business class check-in.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
For the last time kiyotaka, if you want to fly on the Australian airline, please learn to spell it by the correct name. It is called :

QANTAS and NOT Quantas as you have been spelling it over and over again on this thread.

Now do you know what QANTAS stands for ?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:28 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
...AA site states AA gold gets OW ruby which entitles one to get business class priority chk-in as well as pre-released preferential seating in OW flts, however Quantas man said NO. Any thoughts?
This Ruby benefit is correct for QF but does not apply to JQ (or QF codeshare on JQ) ... perhaps your CNS-SYD flight is JQ operated? Very annoying QF having a 100% owned sub that has no OW benefits.

In any case J check-in is slower than web check-in with bag drop (something QF does very well, as does BA), so anyone can do that without needing status (just QFF membership, which is free). You'd be wise to do that (free to join in US, and you can have both QFF and AA FF numbers in the same booking).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.