Dose Quantas match AA status?

Old Sep 15, 10, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Dose Quantas match AA status?

We have a several flts on Quantas coming up, using BA award mile from JFK to CNS & CNS to SYD & AA award mile from AKL to JFK. SYD to AKL is a cruise. All flts except CNS to SYD allow 2 luggage/person & since this trip is mainly for the cruise, my wife needs 2 luggage all by herself. I'm life time AA gold, dose Quantas status match it?
Old Sep 15, 10, 6:41 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I am not aware of QANTAS (note: no U in Qantas) doing a status match - especially within the OW group.
Old Sep 15, 10, 4:38 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
I would suggest you look at pre shipping your stuff earlier. As if you would want to handle that much through all those stops.
Old Sep 15, 10, 5:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Even if you get status matched, you'll only get 10kg extra. It sounds like it will not be enough for your baggage requirements.
Old Sep 15, 10, 7:23 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You are in luck, QF allows you 2 bags from JFK to Oz (in fact allows everyone 2 bags, so you don't need a status match). You can check the limits at http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...gage/global/en
Old Sep 15, 10, 9:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by og View Post
I am not aware of QANTAS (note: no U in Qantas) doing a status match - especially within the OW group.
They can and have done it. I was comped to WP whilst AA EXP.
Old Sep 15, 10, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by simongr View Post
They can and have done it. I was comped to WP whilst AA EXP.
I bet this is a corporate status match or company deal rather than an individual status match that the general public could get.
Old Sep 16, 10, 1:07 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by kiyotaka View Post
We have a several flts on Quantas coming up, using BA award mile from JFK to CNS & CNS to SYD & AA award mile from AKL to JFK. SYD to AKL is a cruise. All flts except CNS to SYD allow 2 luggage/person & since this trip is mainly for the cruise, my wife needs 2 luggage all by herself. I'm life time AA gold, dose Quantas status match it?
If you need the luggage allowance and you fly AA a bit. May I suggest that you join the Qantas Club, which will give you additional luggage and also access, with one guest, to Qantas Clubs and also Admirals Clubs and BA Lounges, if flying QF, AA or BA.
This could be cheaper than paying excess baggage fees, above what number_6 correctly stated you have.
Old Sep 19, 10, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

My request of status match was denied. I looked into the Quantas Club, it costs $710 AUD which is lots more than the extra luggage fee. So I guess I'll pay the extra luggage fee.
Old Sep 19, 10, 11:10 pm

My request of status match was denied. I looked into the Quantas Club, it costs $710 AUD which is lots more than the extra luggage fee. So I guess I'll pay the extra luggage fee.
It's Qantas not Quantas

Also, You might want to check out Australian Frequent Flyer's site. If you join there as a gold member, you'll have access to the Corporate Qantas Club program, saving you around $200 off joining (Gold Membership there is $50).
Old Sep 20, 10, 1:31 am

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
I bet this is a corporate status match or company deal rather than an individual status match that the general public could get.
I seem to recall Simongr posting about this a long time ago on the AFF board, and IIRC, it was in his own capacity. Perhaps they just wanted to get him off their back ?????

Anyway, I'm sure he can confirm one way or the other.
Old Sep 24, 10, 7:08 am
Original Poster

I just found out that I'm an oneworld ruby since I'm AA gold. Ruby will allow extra 10 kg over the baggage weight limit on Oz domestic flt. It may not be enough, but helps.
Old Sep 24, 10, 7:22 am

I just found out that I'm an oneworld ruby since I'm AA gold. Ruby will allow extra 10 kg over the baggage weight limit on Oz domestic flt. It may not be enough, but helps.
I don't think you'll find this is a published benefit. QF allow extra baggage allowance for it's own elite FF's but not OW status customers:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...gage/global/en
Old Sep 24, 10, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewbles View Post
I don't think you'll find this is a published benefit. QF allow extra baggage allowance for it's own elite FF's but not OW status customers:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...gage/global/en
By the letter of the law you are of course indeed correct!

Informally however, it seems QF happily provides baggage benefits (extra allowance + priority tagging) to OW elites much of the time. I'm not sure if this benefit is applied at the Ruby or Sapphire level, but they seem happy to give this to OW Emeralds most of the time.
Old Sep 24, 10, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Traveloguy View Post
By the letter of the law you are of course indeed correct!

Informally however, it seems QF happily provides baggage benefits (extra allowance + priority tagging) to OW elites much of the time. I'm not sure if this benefit is applied at the Ruby or Sapphire level, but they seem happy to give this to OW Emeralds most of the time.
Have you seen them do this recently? The new system seems to be very good at determining the correct allowance and charging accordingly

Dave

Search this Thread
Search Engine: