Wiki Posts
Search

Rumoured FIRST reductions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:42 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by Chalkie
Get rid of real F on many routes.

Replace with F-lite (ie, lie flat J and jammies but no Krug or Dom). (I wonder how long it will take for it be called FirstBusiness or somesuch...)

Charge the same as or close to what real F used to cost.

Call me a cynic, but it would not surprise me in the least if that is what comes to pass.
With so many airlines flying, someone will come along with a better product or charge less for the same product, and the cycle will continue again.

Business class, over the past 20 years, has improved dramatically (who had lie-flat seats in J 20 years ago?) yet prices haven't dramatically increased.

Now, it's becoming difficult for people/corporates to justify paying F prices. If J prices end up where F is now, then I'm sure there's some up-and-coming airline (aka a future Emirates) that will offer the same facilities at current J prices.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:51 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
Business class, over the past 20 years, has improved dramatically (who had lie-flat seats in J 20 years ago?) yet prices haven't dramatically increased.
I don't have the exact figures, but when CX and QF introduced skybeds and equivalent on SYD-HKG, fares did increase pretty dramatically when the fitouts were complete. IIRC, full fare J class on this route was about $HKD 28k ex-HKG in 2001, now the fare is $HKD 41k for a full fare J class seat.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
it is all just a ploy to keep the proles in their place, the uber rich will continue to fly on their BBJ and damn the rest of us to check-in lines...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
On the routes I commonly fly, C prices have dramatically increased in the past 5 years.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by superspudbucket
Me too. Two F tix on QF74 SFO-SYD at the beginning of May have been converted to biz. Annoying, AA sent no notification of this. The agent first suggested a refunding of the miles down to biz but when I prodded she is checking with QF about a re-routing via LAX. Should hear back in 24 hours.

Not sure how this will play if QF is reluctant. I'll try and stand my ground but am not sure what more I can do.
I don't understand why QF74 is not offering F in April, when it is in July.

I'm on QF 127 (SYD-HKG) in Sep, it's still showing me in F.... should I be
worried?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by maxmin
I don't understand why QF74 is not offering F in April, when it is in July.

I'm on QF 127 (SYD-HKG) in Sep, it's still showing me in F.... should I be
worried?
Quite possibly. With the announcement that F is going, it's possible they'll extend the F seats sold as J until then, but at this stage it's only until June. It's like the Y/Y+/J/F re-assignements that were so common last year, and now have just changed to J/F re-assignments. The original re-assignments were extended several times beyond their original cut-off date (and some are still going, ie SYD-EZE and vv).

It's QF though so time will tell, but I dare say not until June is far closer.

FWIW, QF73/74 are predominately leisure routes, and F has always been lower demand than the more popular LAX-SYD-LAX routes.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by drewbles
Quite possibly. With the announcement that F is going, it's possible they'll extend the F seats sold as J until then, but at this stage it's only until June. It's like the Y/Y+/J/F re-assignements that were so common last year, and now have just changed to J/F re-assignments. The original re-assignments were extended several times beyond their original cut-off date (and some are still going, ie SYD-EZE and vv).

It's QF though so time will tell, but I dare say not until June is far closer.

FWIW, QF73/74 are predominately leisure routes, and F has always been lower demand than the more popular LAX-SYD-LAX routes.
So it depends on demand for SYD-HKG route?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by maxmin
So it depends on demand for SYD-HKG route?
From what has been said, there will be no F to LHR via HKG, only SIN on the A380. This would seem to indicate that anything via HKG is losing F, although there were rumours/hearsay that the HKG F lounge was going to be upgraded to be on-par with MEL/SYD F Lounges, although I suspect that this won't be the case.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:13 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
From what has been said, there will be no F to LHR via HKG, only SIN on the A380. This would seem to indicate that anything via HKG is losing F, although there were rumours/hearsay that the HKG F lounge was going to be upgraded to be on-par with MEL/SYD F Lounges, although I suspect that this won't be the case.
They just opened the new F lounge in HKG?????
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:34 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
On the routes I commonly fly, C prices have dramatically increased in the past 5 years.
How much would be down to a massive increase in demand for business class flying during the very frothy boom period leading up to the GFC?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by markis10
They just opened the new F lounge in HKG?????
They just opened a new J lounge, and what was the combined F/J lounges is all now F lounge and it was rumoured to be done up in MEL/SYD style.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Thankfully, QF decided to switch my 2 (former) AA mileage F tix that had been downgraded to C in mid April on QF74 SFO-SYD to QF108 LAX-SYD. Still in F
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:14 am

Talking Thanks QF!

Well I'm definitely not complaining about the changes (at least for now).

I just booked QF73 SYD-SFO in J today and got allocated 4A ;-)

QFBoy
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by JimAtTheBeach
Thankfully, QF decided to switch my 2 (former) AA mileage F tix that had been downgraded to C in mid April on QF74 SFO-SYD to QF108 LAX-SYD. Still in F
They couldn't put you in QF 12 ?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:51 am

They just opened a new J lounge, and what was the combined F/J lounges is all now F lounge and it was rumoured to be done up in MEL/SYD style.
Do you know if I may enter that lounge on CX F ticket?

With regards to the SYD/LHR F service, I understand it will ultimately be cut , but I was wondering about the chances of it downgrading to "J service in F seat" this summer...

It looks like you can still buy F on QF127 during the same period that QF 74 (SFO) only offers J, so perhaps it will remain with F offering until 2011/12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.