Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Advice re ff booking. Any help would be great!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Hi there. I'm pretty new at this, and would really appreciate some of your advice please fellow flyers!

I've made an award booking for my mother in late Dec:
Melbourne - Hong Kong, Hong Kong - Vancouver using my Qantas FF points.

Dep Melb 8am arr HK 3pm,
Dep HK 1am arr Vanc 8pm. Thus a 10 hour wait in HK!

There is a connecting flight HK - Vanc 4.45pm which I really want to get her on!
No ff seats however. Being peak/holiday period, of course everything is heavily booked up.

After checking with Qantas a few times for a seat, I called Cathay to ask if there are any X class seats on the connecting 4.45pm flight, but none available as expected.

Is it worth calling qantas every couple of days to see if a seat has become available through a cancellation, or should I just give up and move on...?!

Any suggestions please?
Many thanks, and happy travels!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Doesn't hurt to try, but it is really late in the game to be trying to book a late dec award flight. So best plan that you won't get it.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BLBG
Any suggestions please?
Many thanks, and happy travels!
IMO, it doesn't hurt to call every few days to find availability, though HKG-YVR is extremely difficult to come by. I live in the West Coast so YVR/SFO/LAX will all work for me with YVR being the most direct route, but I have yet scored an award ticket with YVR on CX.

Also have you tried the award finder engine on CX's website? You will need to apply for a free AsiaMiles membership to use it. Reports from other threads show that the award finder's availability is not too far off from those available to other partners, but it is really YMMV. It will be a good start though.

Happy travel to you, too. I will be on a CX flight for SFO-HKG tomorrow!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Like others said - won't hurt to try. What you don't ask, you don't get.

Have you also considered flying HKG-NRT-YVR?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll keep trying, fingers crossed...
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Otherwise you can try to organize a tour for her in Hong Kong to make the most of the evening there. Sunset on the Harbour, nice dinner etc. before heading back to the airport.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Otherwise you can try to organize a tour for her in Hong Kong to make the most of the evening there. Sunset on the Harbour, nice dinner etc. before heading back to the airport.
Don't be scared to do this - there are trains about 3 or 4 times an hour, and it takes about 25 minutes to get from the airport to Hong Kong central, for HKD 100.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:27 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by davidjb
Don't be scared to do this - there are trains about 3 or 4 times an hour, and it takes about 25 minutes to get from the airport to Hong Kong central, for HKD 100.
I am not scared. Have explored Hong Kong many times and almost always used the train. I was just suggesting something for the mother of BLBG.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:53 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I am not scared. Have explored Hong Kong many times and almost always used the train. I was just suggesting something for the mother of BLBG.
I think davidjb was just reiterating your point to the OP.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:45 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tuapekastar
I think davidjb was just reiterating your point to the OP.
Argh, it was 23.30 when I posted this so my brain was in bed already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.