Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF10 LHR/SIN 6/3/10, deceased pax

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
QF10 LHR/SIN 6/3/10, deceased pax

My step M-i-L has just arrived back from LHR yesterday morning and advised me that on her flight to SIN Sat night (QF10) there was a pax that died on the flight.

She was asleep over the Adaman Sea when she woke up to the plane changing flight level and when she checked the Flight Map, it had begun to track towards BKK. She then became aware of the crew and medical personnel taking medical equipment to the section of Economy behind her (she was in second section of Economy).

Later, the diversion changed back to tracking to SIN and it became apparent that nothing more could be done for the lady. Seems that she was travelling with other family, as they got out at SIN and stayed with the deceased (she believes they were on their way to MEL).

My step M-i-L continued onto QF52, so she wasn't delayed.

When asked on another Forum about what happens to the body, 737 (a QF FA) replied:

On QF, we would place them in a seat, with the seatbelt fastened, and move people from the surrounding area if this was possible. We would place a blanket over them to their chest and put some eye-shades on them if available. We would semi-recline the deceased for the flight until it was time to land where the seat would be upright.

Less disturbance as possible for the family and the deceased.

Of course, there are some airlines that have special chilled compartments or bags that they put them in, but I am not familiar with specifics.
I haven't been able to find any news story from Singapore about it.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:11 pm

A flat guerney does not fit down the rear end of economy because of the bend in the aircraft.

What they then do is throw the body over a drinks cart to get it out.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by 747-444
What they then do is throw the body over a drinks cart to get it out.
I hope that you're not serious and just trying to be stupidly funny about very serious matter...
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
You'd hope so, wouldn't you

I wonder if eoinnz can give us any more insight into what happens...
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
A flat guerney does not fit down the rear end of economy because of the bend in the aircraft.
Interesting - I have seen many seat plans where the last set of three rows of 2 on a 747 (where the seats go down to 2+4+2) are designated as stretcher rows. So they must be able to get the stretcher down to those seats somehow (and I presume load on in if they need to take a pax away in these unfortunate corcumstances).
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
why am I having (bad) visions of 'Weekend at Bernies'?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:13 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Interesting - I have seen many seat plans where the last set of three rows of 2 on a 747 (where the seats go down to 2+4+2) are designated as stretcher rows. .
Indeed the case. I was once booted out of my pair of back end 743 seats (FCO-SYD) and saw that they had set up a stretcher with curtains for patient privacy. The 2 travelling nurses were allocated the two back rows of 4 for their rest during the flight. Quite an impressive set up.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by QF WP

I haven't been able to find any news story from Singapore about it.
I don't see why it should make the news. Isn't this a private matter for the family? The likes of nonews.com.au should leave them well alone.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:17 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I don't see why it should make the news. Isn't this a private matter for the family? The likes of nonews.com.au should leave them well alone.
Indeed its only likely to make the news if it resulting in a diversion or significant delay.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
I hope that you're not serious and just trying to be stupidly funny about very serious matter...
Nope, I am being dead serious. Airlines throw the dead body over a drinks cart when they can't get a stretcher down there or the body isn't any shape to be put on one/can't be put on one.

Another story:

A friend of mine was travelling with a work colleague of his and the work colleague died while away, he organised the airline taking the body home and it happened to be on the same flight he was on. The airline requested he refrain from telling other passengers there was a corpse on board as people freak out.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:15 am

Nope, I am being dead serious. Airlines throw the dead body over a drinks cart when they can't get a stretcher down there or the body isn't any shape to be put on one/can't be put on one.

.. telling other passengers there was a corpse on board as people freak out.
Perhaps if you'd chosen a word other than 'throw' to describe moving a body people would take your statement more at face value? There are plenty of other words to choose from - place, put, lift, maneuver, ease....

Also - corpse? Hmm. Human remains is just as useful a description. Or even 'coffin in the hold'. Its fairly common for scheduled airlines to transport in the hold without anyone batting an eyelid - or the airline asking pax not to mention it. I guess the only time it really stands out is when there is a giant US flag on top of the coffin.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I am very happy that I have never experienced such a thing in over 20 million miles of air travel. I have heard about it, most often in the context of crew members dying, which has been documented a number of times. It is indeed fortunate that this is a very rare situation.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:19 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Economy is no place to die.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NM
Indeed its only likely to make the news if it resulting in a diversion or significant delay.
Or if deceased is a celeb or politician or VIP.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:00 pm

It was a 380. A stretcher fits just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.