FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF10 LHR/SIN 6/3/10, deceased pax
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:04 pm
QF WP

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
QF10 LHR/SIN 6/3/10, deceased pax

My step M-i-L has just arrived back from LHR yesterday morning and advised me that on her flight to SIN Sat night (QF10) there was a pax that died on the flight.

She was asleep over the Adaman Sea when she woke up to the plane changing flight level and when she checked the Flight Map, it had begun to track towards BKK. She then became aware of the crew and medical personnel taking medical equipment to the section of Economy behind her (she was in second section of Economy).

Later, the diversion changed back to tracking to SIN and it became apparent that nothing more could be done for the lady. Seems that she was travelling with other family, as they got out at SIN and stayed with the deceased (she believes they were on their way to MEL).

My step M-i-L continued onto QF52, so she wasn't delayed.

When asked on another Forum about what happens to the body, 737 (a QF FA) replied:

On QF, we would place them in a seat, with the seatbelt fastened, and move people from the surrounding area if this was possible. We would place a blanket over them to their chest and put some eye-shades on them if available. We would semi-recline the deceased for the flight until it was time to land where the seat would be upright.

Less disturbance as possible for the family and the deceased.

Of course, there are some airlines that have special chilled compartments or bags that they put them in, but I am not familiar with specifics.
I haven't been able to find any news story from Singapore about it.