Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

CX: FRA-PEK MNL-LAX double open jaw; business £2082

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2020, 10:34 am
Original Poster

With Cathay Pacific being so expensive lately compared to Qatar, these fares are actually amazing value. This is booked as a MULTI CITY and can offer great deals.

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sd:1;t:f;tt:m
Business class here costs only 2070 GBP, and the best part here is that this fare is multi city so you can get even cheaper fares for a variety of routes with a huge lot of flexibility on dates. So you can use a one-way out to Asia, and a return to/from the USA.
These flights are also relatively long too, so the amount of ALASKA MILES credited is amazing
Old Oct 4, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Zaryaab
With Cathay Pacific being so expensive lately compared to Qatar, these fares are actually amazing value. This is booked as a MULTI CITY and can offer great deals.

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sd:1;t:f;tt:m
Business class here costs only 2070 GBP, and the best part here is that this fare is multi city so you can get even cheaper fares for a variety of routes with a huge lot of flexibility on dates. So you can use a one-way out to Asia, and a return to/from the USA.
These flights are also relatively long too, so the amount of ALASKA MILES credited is amazing
Help me understand the value here. This is a one-way open jaw for ~$2700, correct?
Are there other routes that have bigger value?

For another $400 you can go RT ORD to BKK. And get over 1000 more miles.
Seems like the standard CX fares from ORD to Asia have more value and of more use for most folks.

But neither appears to be 'amazing'.

(I guess is one needed to get from Europe to Asia and then the USA from another country, I guess this has some value, but it is not cheap.)
Old Oct 4, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global321
Help me understand the value here. This is a one-way open jaw for ~$2700, correct?

Seems like the standard CX fares from ORD to Asia have more value and of more use for most folks.

(I guess is one needed to get from Europe to Asia and then the USA from another country, I guess this has some value, but it is not cheap.)
if you can actually find a fare from the US to Asia on CX for less than this I will be amazed. They are too expensive so compared to the standard fare, this is a great bargain
Old Oct 4, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Zaryaab
if you can actually find a fare from the US to Asia on CX for less than this I will be amazed. They are too expensive so compared to the standard fare, this is a great bargain
As stated above, ORD - BKK on CX, RT, $3100, wide open, JAN/FEB/MAR.
More miles than the OW, open jaw you listed for $2700. And much more useful to the vast majority of flyers.
zip10001, raporot and BCNforever like this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 3:27 pm

This is not a one way fare. It's essentially two one way flights.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by xslash10x
Now you are arguing semantics. Even saying "It's essentially two one-way flights" eludes to what it is... a one-way fare with an open jaw. It is the definition of a one-way fare with an open jaw.

However, if you prefer to call it essentially two one way flights, so be it. It is still not very useful, nor is it very cheap. How many people need a one-way ticket that starts in Europe, stops in North Asia, picks up in South Asia, and finishes in North America?

Seems much more valuable to buy the standard round trip on CX to fly from North America to South Asia for $400 more, leaving/arriving from the same cities. (And over 1000 more flight miles.)

But, as I mentioned, if one finds themselves in Germany and needs to get to China, then has their own transportation to South Asia, then needing to get to the USA, it might have some value. But, probably not too many people (on Earth) are in such a situation.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up great fare too!

As stated above, ORD - BKK on CX, RT, $3100, wide open, JAN/FEB/MAR.
Thanks for the heads-up on that CX fare...Also available for dates in Dec 2020. Only 50 min connection in HKG though.
Global321 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by zip10001
Thanks for the heads-up on that CX fare...Also available for dates in Dec 2020. Only 50 min connection in HKG though.
No problem. As an FYI, CX has 2 later (scheduled) flights that they can put you on to BKK when they are back to a full schedule. And I am sure you know, a 50-minute connection in HKG is very doable.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:58 pm

If someone were to travel the proposed itin, they would also need to travel PEK-MNL. When I compared separate airfares vs a single fare approach, then the former seems to save at least $500. So perhaps that's the real value here. If you take a middle segment from your travel plan, and move it to a separate itin -- you can save on your total airfare. There may be even better examples for this concept.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:38 pm

Now you are arguing semantics. Even saying "It's essentially two one-way flights" eludes to what it is... a one-way fare with an open jaw. It is the definition of a one-way fare with an open jaw.

However, if you prefer to call it essentially two one way flights, so be it. It is still not very useful, nor is it very cheap. How many people need a one-way ticket that starts in Europe, stops in North Asia, picks up in South Asia, and finishes in North America?

Seems much more valuable to buy the standard round trip on CX to fly from North America to South Asia for $400 more, leaving/arriving from the same cities. (And over 1000 more flight miles.)

But, as I mentioned, if one finds themselves in Germany and needs to get to China, then has their own transportation to South Asia, then needing to get to the USA, it might have some value. But, probably not too many people (on Earth) are in such a situation.
I think there was a miunderstanding. I thought you were under the impression that this was just a one way flight, as in Europe to Asia, which I then pointed out that it's actually TWO one way flights. But now I see that that's not what you were referring to. I wasn't arguing semantics.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:56 pm

I think there was a miunderstanding. I thought you were under the impression that this was just a one way flight, as in Europe to Asia, which I then pointed out that it's actually TWO one way flights. But now I see that that's not what you were referring to. I wasn't arguing semantics.
Fair enough. Hopefully, some folks find value in this fare and could use it to their advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.