Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

CX: FRA-PEK MNL-LAX double open jaw; business 2082

CX: FRA-PEK MNL-LAX double open jaw; business 2082

Old Oct 4, 20, 11:34 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 11
CX: FRA-PEK MNL-LAX double open jaw; business 2082

With Cathay Pacific being so expensive lately compared to Qatar, these fares are actually amazing value. This is booked as a MULTI CITY and can offer great deals.

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sd:1;t:f;tt:m
Business class here costs only 2070 GBP, and the best part here is that this fare is multi city so you can get even cheaper fares for a variety of routes with a huge lot of flexibility on dates. So you can use a one-way out to Asia, and a return to/from the USA.
These flights are also relatively long too, so the amount of ALASKA MILES credited is amazing
Zaryaab is offline  
Old Oct 4, 20, 1:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 4,891
Originally Posted by Zaryaab View Post
With Cathay Pacific being so expensive lately compared to Qatar, these fares are actually amazing value. This is booked as a MULTI CITY and can offer great deals.

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sd:1;t:f;tt:m
Business class here costs only 2070 GBP, and the best part here is that this fare is multi city so you can get even cheaper fares for a variety of routes with a huge lot of flexibility on dates. So you can use a one-way out to Asia, and a return to/from the USA.
These flights are also relatively long too, so the amount of ALASKA MILES credited is amazing
Help me understand the value here. This is a one-way open jaw for ~$2700, correct?
Are there other routes that have bigger value?

For another $400 you can go RT ORD to BKK. And get over 1000 more miles.
Seems like the standard CX fares from ORD to Asia have more value and of more use for most folks.

But neither appears to be 'amazing'.

(I guess is one needed to get from Europe to Asia and then the USA from another country, I guess this has some value, but it is not cheap.)
Global321 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 20, 1:18 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
Help me understand the value here. This is a one-way open jaw for ~$2700, correct?
Are there other routes that have bigger value?

For another $400 you can go RT ORD to BKK. And get over 1000 more miles.
Seems like the standard CX fares from ORD to Asia have more value and of more use for most folks.

But neither appears to be 'amazing'.

(I guess is one needed to get from Europe to Asia and then the USA from another country, I guess this has some value, but it is not cheap.)
if you can actually find a fare from the US to Asia on CX for less than this I will be amazed. They are too expensive so compared to the standard fare, this is a great bargain
Zaryaab is offline  
Old Oct 4, 20, 1:48 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 4,891
Originally Posted by Zaryaab View Post
if you can actually find a fare from the US to Asia on CX for less than this I will be amazed. They are too expensive so compared to the standard fare, this is a great bargain
As stated above, ORD - BKK on CX, RT, $3100, wide open, JAN/FEB/MAR.
More miles than the OW, open jaw you listed for $2700. And much more useful to the vast majority of flyers.
zip10001, raporot and BCNforever like this.
Global321 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 20, 4:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
Help me understand the value here. This is a one-way open jaw for ~$2700, correct?
Are there other routes that have bigger value?

For another $400 you can go RT ORD to BKK. And get over 1000 more miles.
Seems like the standard CX fares from ORD to Asia have more value and of more use for most folks.

But neither appears to be 'amazing'.

(I guess is one needed to get from Europe to Asia and then the USA from another country, I guess this has some value, but it is not cheap.)
This is not a one way fare. It's essentially two one way flights.
xslash10x is offline  
Old Oct 4, 20, 7:09 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 4,891
Originally Posted by xslash10x View Post
This is not a one way fare. It's essentially two one way flights.
Now you are arguing semantics. Even saying "It's essentially two one-way flights" eludes to what it is... a one-way fare with an open jaw. It is the definition of a one-way fare with an open jaw.

However, if you prefer to call it essentially two one way flights, so be it. It is still not very useful, nor is it very cheap. How many people need a one-way ticket that starts in Europe, stops in North Asia, picks up in South Asia, and finishes in North America?

Seems much more valuable to buy the standard round trip on CX to fly from North America to South Asia for $400 more, leaving/arriving from the same cities. (And over 1000 more flight miles.)

But, as I mentioned, if one finds themselves in Germany and needs to get to China, then has their own transportation to South Asia, then needing to get to the USA, it might have some value. But, probably not too many people (on Earth) are in such a situation.
Global321 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 20, 7:21 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 346
Thumbs up great fare too!

Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
As stated above, ORD - BKK on CX, RT, $3100, wide open, JAN/FEB/MAR.
Thanks for the heads-up on that CX fare...Also available for dates in Dec 2020. Only 50 min connection in HKG though.
Global321 likes this.
zip10001 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 20, 7:29 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 4,891
Originally Posted by zip10001 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up on that CX fare...Also available for dates in Dec 2020. Only 50 min connection in HKG though.
No problem. As an FYI, CX has 2 later (scheduled) flights that they can put you on to BKK when they are back to a full schedule. And I am sure you know, a 50-minute connection in HKG is very doable.
Global321 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 20, 7:58 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,662
Originally Posted by xslash10x View Post
This is not a one way fare. It's essentially two one way flights.
If someone were to travel the proposed itin, they would also need to travel PEK-MNL. When I compared separate airfares vs a single fare approach, then the former seems to save at least $500. So perhaps that's the real value here. If you take a middle segment from your travel plan, and move it to a separate itin -- you can save on your total airfare. There may be even better examples for this concept.
MaxVO is offline  
Old Oct 5, 20, 2:38 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
Now you are arguing semantics. Even saying "It's essentially two one-way flights" eludes to what it is... a one-way fare with an open jaw. It is the definition of a one-way fare with an open jaw.

However, if you prefer to call it essentially two one way flights, so be it. It is still not very useful, nor is it very cheap. How many people need a one-way ticket that starts in Europe, stops in North Asia, picks up in South Asia, and finishes in North America?

Seems much more valuable to buy the standard round trip on CX to fly from North America to South Asia for $400 more, leaving/arriving from the same cities. (And over 1000 more flight miles.)

But, as I mentioned, if one finds themselves in Germany and needs to get to China, then has their own transportation to South Asia, then needing to get to the USA, it might have some value. But, probably not too many people (on Earth) are in such a situation.
I think there was a miunderstanding. I thought you were under the impression that this was just a one way flight, as in Europe to Asia, which I then pointed out that it's actually TWO one way flights. But now I see that that's not what you were referring to. I wasn't arguing semantics.
xslash10x is offline  
Old Oct 5, 20, 2:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 4,891
Originally Posted by xslash10x View Post
I think there was a miunderstanding. I thought you were under the impression that this was just a one way flight, as in Europe to Asia, which I then pointed out that it's actually TWO one way flights. But now I see that that's not what you were referring to. I wasn't arguing semantics.
Fair enough. Hopefully, some folks find value in this fare and could use it to their advantage.
Global321 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: