Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

QF PEK-SYD/MEL/BNE biz from USD1,448 rtn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold

Got an email today from QF, "Autumn joint promotion by Qantas & China Eastern".

Best offers ex-PEK:
SYD CNY8,170 (A330)
MEL CNY8,050
BNE CNY8,120

All plus taxes and fees. Comes out at USD1,450-1,470.

Book by 25 Oct 2018.

Several black-out periods, including Chinese New Year, but available over Christmas and New Year's Eve!

Also available ex-PVG, but much pricier, though still reasonable.

Don't really have to fly that route, otherwise I would be jumping on it like a kangaroo that's homesick.

PS: Also available in economy for next to nothing, i.e. CNY740 / USD107 plus taxes and fees.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:45 am

you just fell victim to the classic airfare bait and switch. If you look closely, the prices do not include taxes and surcharges, which pushes everything up by about another 300USD, rendering it a normal sale. Otherwise sub 200USD rt to OZ would garner feeding frenzy from China ;P
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by beyounged
you just fell victim to the classic airfare bait and switch. If you look closely, the prices do not include taxes and surcharges, which pushes everything up by about another 300USD, rendering it a normal sale. Otherwise sub 200USD rt to OZ would garner feeding frenzy from China ;P
PEK-SYD direct on QF is $1440... no bait and switch here ?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
PEK-SYD direct on QF is $1440... no bait and switch here ?
apologies for not being clear. The price they show on the promo page are without taxes, such as sub 8k CNY in J, about 1.1k USD, and I meant that is bait and switch, and you would not know how much the real price is until you actually finish selecting flights and proceed to check out. That is when it jumps to 11k CNY, about 1470USD.
That matters a lot when OP mentions the sub 1k CNY rt in Y, which are the prices quoted on the promo page, while the real price is quadruple of that.

[EDIT: just saw OP's note that taxes are extra, so I think it is important to point out the taxes are very significant for the deal in Y]
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
A deal very similar to this has been around for at least the last 5 months or so. Certainly a great price.

A few things to watch out for...

Previously the lowest sale price was only available on-line through the Qantas Chinese web site. My travel agent told me that they cannot access this price and it has to be purchased on-line in Yuan.

The flight leaves at 11.30 pm and when I flew on it last week it was over 3 house late due to delaay of the incoming flight. The good news is that the Cathay Pacific Business Class Lounge (in the same general area of Trminal 3 as the Qantas gate now stays open (apparently as long as a ON World Flight is waiting to Board. I believe a few years back it closed at 9.00 pm.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:26 am

200 AI more if you wanna go Cairns or Tasmania~ definitely very tempting as it's on I... lots of AS miles!
MaxVO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.