Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

BA/ QR : $2,450 RT LGW - PEN Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:40 am
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

- 787 for BA, A330 to PEN on QR

- books into R and I

https://www.wego.com/flights/searches/cLGW-cPEN/2019-03-02:2019-03-16/business/1a:0c:0i?sort=price&order=asc
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
For anybody who like me did not know: PEN is Penang in Malaysia about 350 km north-west of KUL.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:50 am
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Somewhat better prices for alternative dates as low as $2,259 RT

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...56*.USD.225856
capt787 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by MightyTravels
- 787 for BA, A330 to PEN on QR
Are you sure? I wasn’t aware BA flew LGW DOH (only, when the mood takes them, LHR DOH). QR fly LGW DOH.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:48 pm

At first I was like, Langkawi to Penang flights sure have gone up.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
In the context of the current dearth of sale prices on QR from anywhere in Europe, this is good value (and Penang is a great place to visit, with easy links to e.g. KUL, BKK, SIN, etc.)

However although I can see this pricing shown as available on Google flights for a number of dates next year, when one clicks through to book on Qatar, the combination of flights selected is not available at anything like the price shown on Google flights, (about £2000, rather than £1738) and the cheapest options shown on the QR site, which involves a long layover outbound is £1870)

Is Google assuming the use of a promo code that I don't have? Or is there a problem being able to buy QR tickets at the prices shown on Google flights?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
In the context of the current dearth of sale prices on QR from anywhere in Europe, this is good value (and Penang is a great place to visit, with easy links to e.g. KUL, BKK, SIN, etc.)
I think Penang is one of those destinations QR is convinced it should be able to charge a premium for a direct service. And for Penangites it's a blessing to be able to travel without going through KL

I did Manchester Penang recently, with QR. Pleased i did it in economy class, as the DOH PEN and PEN DOH sectors had rows free for sleeping. On the PEN DOH flight, the business cabin was empty. It was only a snapshot, but I think QR might be having problems getting high fares to stick.

Unless you really value the direct option, KL is often much cheaper. BKK is clunkier, needing an airport switch to get cheap Air Asia flights at Don Meaung, otherwise there's an evening Thai Smiles from Suvarnabhumi. SIN has more connecting flights, more carriers.
MightyTravels likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:56 am

Penang has a lot of tourists from the Gulf and this route was clearly planned before the Gulf embargo came into force. The Gulf embargo is probably the reason why most Qatar planes to Penang are flying half empty, and that would explain why Qatar is now trying to fill seats by offering attractive prices.

At the moment this is (or would be if it could be booked at the Google flights price), as far as I can see, the cheapest Qatar routing to South East Asia from London.

Does anyone know why the flight combinations Google flights comes up with cannot be bought on Qatar for the prices indicated by Google?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Living in Malaysia and being oneworld FF, I've frequently checked PEN business fares. Consistently these are priced too high though, so I'm not surprised to read the comment here that business class was empty!

Also this fare... Well you can get better prices for similar distances, so to me it's not a good deal. However, of course I appreciate this post! Sharing is always good!
MightyTravels likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:13 am
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

Are you sure? I wasn’t aware BA flew LGW DOH (only, when the mood takes them, LHR DOH). QR fly LGW DOH.
True only QR is listed. Maybe an odd codeshare since it always comes up as BA that segment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatwick_Airport
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
Penang has a lot of tourists from the Gulf and this route was clearly planned before the Gulf embargo came into force. The Gulf embargo is probably the reason why most Qatar planes to Penang are flying half empty, and that would explain why Qatar is now trying to fill seats by offering attractive prices.

At the moment this is (or would be if it could be booked at the Google flights price), as far as I can see, the cheapest Qatar routing to South East Asia from London.

Does anyone know why the flight combinations Google flights comes up with cannot be bought on Qatar for the prices indicated by Google?
I had no idea Penang was a particular Gulf hot-spot. Certainly none of the other Gulf carriers offer it.

I have moved on from QR. I'm an opportunist and fly whatever carrier offers value - I'm a OneWorld and Star Alliance tart, but I'd happily give up the miles for a few hundred quid. And I see Gulf from Heathrow to Bangkok at under £1100

https://www.flysharp.com/BookFlightSK.aspx?DestinationFrom=LON&StartDate=13 &StartMonth=0918&DestinationTo=BKK&DestTo=BKK&EndD ate=26&EndMonth=0918&AdultCnt=1&Childcnt=0&InfantC nt=0&AirLineCode=&Cabin=C&triptype=ROUNDTRIP&trkid =SK&DFLT=False&Fname=FLS777532414282018-767978-6675759-4&itmid=1&FareIdentifier=FLS777532414282018-767978-6675759-4*1*4&skyscanner_redirectid=3GOVkJZfEeiUAAJCrBEACw &DFLT=false&request_id=3GOVkJZfEeiUAAJCrBEACw&ipAd dress=83.166.209.226

Last edited by IAN-UK; Aug 2, 2018 at 8:27 am Reason: trying to get the bloody link to work!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I had no idea Penang was a particular Gulf hot-spot. Certainly none of the other Gulf carriers offer it.

I have moved on from QR. I'm an opportunist and fly whatever carrier offers value - I'm a OneWorld and Star Alliance tart, but I'd happily give up the miles for a few hundred quid. And I see Gulf from Heathrow to Bangkok at under £1100

https://www.flysharp.com/BookFlightS...83.166.209.226
i get the bloody spinning nothingness when clicking on the link.

Also miss you on the QR threads.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:48 am

Yes, Gulf Air from London to Bangkok for around £1100 is a steal. However I have several people - me included - with a vested interest in me retaining GGL status, so I'm tied to One World for the foreseeable.

I couldn't find any QR deals for my April or July trips to the Far East so ended up flying Finnair in April, which is fine, and the hard product, although not as good a QR is way better than BA. However as both my February trip and upcoming October trip had been booked with Qatar ex Helsinki, I was looking not to go via HEL in July, and in the end bought a AMS-LHR-SIN-BKK-HKG-LHR-AMS which I was able to upgrade to F using a GUF1 on the 2 long-haul legs for a total price of around £1450.

I have all my forthcoming flights booked up to end-March and hopefully between now and end January some kind of QR sale should happen!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
i get the bloody spinning nothingness when clicking on the link.
Posting links is at the very limit of my technical ability!

You coukd look up LON BKK on Flysharp.com for 13-26 September. No idea if it shows on Google, but i think probably not... .
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Interesting. That fare must be an unpublished (consolidator/bulk) fare because I can't price anything close to that on GF or EF. However, pricing it on FlySharp was trivial.

Any idea what other carriers they offer these discounted fares for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.