FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   BA: AMS-BKK - Business Class $1,685 RT - Limited Dates (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1916354-ba-ams-bkk-business-class-1-685-rt-limited-dates.html)

Wozza2404 Aug 31, 2018 6:30 am

Originally Posted by voetsektx (Post 30150405)
I know this is a newbie question, but is the only way to book this to call BA or can it be done online? I saw a previus post about 'british airways holidays' but I couldn't seem to price it using their site. Appreciate the feedback.

Firstly, welcome to FT!

Secondly, are you referring to the standard AMS-BKK fare on BA? If so and you just want a flight booking, you can absolutely book it online.

However if you're looking to add extra stops to maximise Tier Point earnings, then you may have to call.

That said, do a simple AMS-BKK search on Google Flights - limited to Oneworld results - and see if the fare is available on or around your dates. If it is, you can head over to ITA matrix to try and add in the stops and see if the price still holds.

Wozza2404 Aug 31, 2018 6:32 am

Originally Posted by GGLwannabe (Post 30150880)
I have no idea why OTAs can do this and BA themselves can't!

I believe it's because a lot of GUF earners fly for business, and are bound by company policies which often require the use of a TA. So it's a benefit aimed at corporate flyers.

PxC Aug 31, 2018 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 (Post 30151558)
Firstly, welcome to FT!

Secondly, are you referring to the standard AMS-BKK fare on BA? If so and you just want a flight booking, you can absolutely book it online.

However if you're looking to add extra stops to maximise Tier Point earnings, then you may have to call.

That said, do a simple AMS-BKK search on Google Flights - limited to Oneworld results - and see if the fare is available on or around your dates. If it is, you can head over to ITA matrix to try and add in the stops and see if the price still holds.

Flight Matrix currently has the low price of many of the days, and google flights less.... which do you think is correct?

BSBtraveller Sep 1, 2018 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 30105045)
A little GUF using a TA thrown in and you are in a good earner...

what does GUF mean please?

Lefly Sep 2, 2018 12:04 am

Originally Posted by BSBtraveller (Post 30156847)
what does GUF mean please?

Gold Upgrade For (2 or 1)
You can read about here: BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread

tycosiao Sep 12, 2018 7:12 am

Hi

If I route it via HKG, can I still get the BA operated sectors upgraded with a GUF1?

Thanks

LondonMike Sep 12, 2018 8:48 am

Yes, however the GUF will allow you only to upgrade the BA operated flights. The CX operated HKG-BKK will not be upgraded by the GUF.

nufnuf77 Sep 12, 2018 9:28 am

Originally Posted by tycosiao (Post 30195437)
Hi

If I route it via HKG, can I still get the BA operated sectors upgraded with a GUF1?

Thanks

Yes

tycosiao Sep 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by LondonMike (Post 30195790)
Yes, however the GUF will allow you only to upgrade the BA operated flights. The CX operated HKG-BKK will not be upgraded by the GUF.

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 30195942)
Yes

Thank you for your replies.

The TA option still works I suppose?

Thanks!

Paolo1972 Sep 14, 2018 3:21 am

Hi all
Looking at going to the Canton Fair in April 19 and can do the AMS-LHR-BKK then get a flight to Canton, priced at £1662.
However, going from LON-BKK is an extra £800 ish.
Can I book the AMS route but just turn uo at LHR and check in and board there or is there a penalty clause somewhere.
Apologies if this is basic stuff.

Paul

stijnec Sep 14, 2018 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Paolo1972 (Post 30202363)
Hi all
Looking at going to the Canton Fair in April 19 and can do the AMS-LHR-BKK then get a flight to Canton, priced at £1662.
However, going from LON-BKK is an extra £800 ish.
Can I book the AMS route but just turn uo at LHR and check in and board there or is there a penalty clause somewhere.
Apologies if this is basic stuff.

Paul

if you would not show up for your flight in Amsterdam your ticket will be voided, and you will not be able to take any of the other flights in the booking

Paolo1972 Sep 14, 2018 4:36 am

Originally Posted by stijnec (Post 30202367)
if you would not show up for your flight in Amsterdam your ticket will be voided, and you will not be able to take any of the other flights in the booking

this is what I was worried about, its a shame that BA cannot give its own UK customers such great deals, shame on them

many thanks for your reply, appreciated

rossmacd Sep 15, 2018 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Paolo1972 (Post 30202492)
this is what I was worried about, its a shame that BA cannot give its own UK customers such great deals, shame on them

It doesn't need to. It is all supply and demand.

Check KL/LH/LX/AF direct prices out of their respective hubs, and you'll see that they don't offer "deals".

Phil the Flyer Sep 15, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Paolo1972 (Post 30202492)
its a shame that BA cannot give its own UK customers such great deals, shame on them

I’m no fan of BA, but I’m afraid your ‘shame’ comment shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how airlines price airfares.

If you don’t need to travel until April 2019 - and assuming you’re talking about the INCEU60 AMS BKK fare - you might wish to wait until the new year to see if QR have an ex-EU sale. Of course, even the AMS BKK BA fare allows a HKG stopover, if this better suits your needs re: Canton.

BritBoyInFL Sep 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 30105045)
A little GUF using a TA thrown in and you are in a good earner...

Could you expand on this ? I can find a suitable AMS - LHR - HKG - BKK - SIN - LHR - AMS for $1,915.
https://goo.gl/flights/rcmDv

If I use a TA (Amex Travel ?) and one of my GUF's (subject to space availability, I may even have a spare joker), I'll get 1st on LHR-HKG & SIN-LHR with BA. Will I also get 1st based TP & Avios ? (Sorry, I've never used a GUF with a TA).

tycosiao Sep 17, 2018 12:23 am

Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL (Post 30210345)
Could you expand on this ? I can find a suitable AMS - LHR - HKG - BKK - SIN - LHR - AMS for $1,915.
https://goo.gl/flights/rcmDv

If I use a TA (Amex Travel ?) and one of my GUF's (subject to space availability, I may even have a spare joker), I'll get 1st on LHR-HKG & SIN-LHR with BA. Will I also get 1st based TP & Avios ? (Sorry, I've never used a GUF with a TA).

If you use your GUF with a TA, yes you will get F accruals. This does not hold for bookings made with BA

BritBoyInFL Sep 17, 2018 6:29 am

Originally Posted by tycosiao (Post 30211914)
If you use your GUF with a TA, yes you will get F accruals. This does not hold for bookings made with BA

Thanks. I searched for TA/GUF companies and have only found reference to Propeller (I'll give them a call later). I did call Amex Travel this morning and they said they CAN'T upgrade with a GUF ! Did I just get unlucky on the rep or has something changed, as others has referenced Amex Travel as a TA that could upgrade with a GUF ?

[Edit]
Just stumbled on relevant information that the ONLY guaranteed benefit of booking via a TA is it books in to a revenue class. Where as with BA you need Avios availability ? There are also comments that some people 'lucked out' by getting TP/Avios for the upgraded class when booked via TA in revenue, but this is not guaranteed and should be looked on as a fortunate bonus. With all of that in mind, and as I have a Joker available, it looks like I'll just book with BA.

BritBoyInFL Sep 19, 2018 7:34 am

OK, ready to pull the trigger on this, but ......

I have AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK-SIN-LHR-AMS for May 2019, using a GUF for the LHR-HKG & SIN-LHR, avoiding the shabby 777 LHR-BKK-LHR. Some extra TP going this way and the LHR-AMS is for the day after arriving in LHR, so I may consider dumping this last sector for a 'family emergency'. So a pretty decent trip/value.

BUT, at +/- $1,750, I'm wondering should I just wait for a QR sale, from anywhere in Europe (no problem with Avios positioning) and get the benefit of QR business, may be a QSuite, probably more TP (4 x 140 potentially) and save my GUF ? QR seems to run pretty regular sales.

Is the BA/CX fare code from AMS seasonal, could it be pulled any time, or is it available more often than not ?

What do the learned ones at FT think ?

ubiest Sep 19, 2018 10:51 am

Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL (Post 30220961)

BUT, at +/- $1,750, I'm wondering should I just wait for a QR sale, from anywhere in Europe (no problem with Avios positioning) and get the benefit of QR business, may be a QSuite, probably more TP (4 x 140 potentially) and save my GUF ? QR seems to run pretty regular sales.

Even in “sales” QR is not the QR of old. No telling if they will run anything close to their GBP 1K-1.2K ex-EU. Not looking likely if 2018 YTD is any indication.

Is the BA/CX fare code from AMS seasonal, could it be pulled any time, or is it available more often than not ?

What do the learned ones at FT think ?
Always available, 60 day advance purchase. Could be pulled anytime, yet quite longstanding - nearly 2 years in the current version.

BritBoyInFL Sep 19, 2018 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ubiest (Post 30221742)

Even in “sales” QR is not the QR of old. No telling if they will run anything close to their GBP 1K-1.2K ex-EU. Not looking likely if 2018 YTD is any indication.

Always available, 60 day advance purchase. Could be pulled anytime, yet quite longstanding - nearly 2 years in the current version.

Thanks, I think I'll set tight at least until the end of the year and see if anything comes up with QF. If not, I have a Joker 'spare' so should be no problem to revert to original plans.

maulwurf Sep 19, 2018 1:12 pm

You can find nearly all year round for around 1500€ : SOF>SIN, PRG>CNX and HEL>BKK to name a few. ( checked random dates on Kayak and all work )

Paolo1972 Sep 20, 2018 1:05 am

that is exactly why I asked the question, but thanks for pointing out my lack of

BritBoyInFL Sep 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Paolo1972 (Post 30224315)
that is exactly why I asked the question, but thanks for pointing out my lack of

"lack of ...." an end of sentence or reason for the post ? ;)

bivinco Oct 2, 2018 4:02 am

Hi all,
I booked that fare with a layover just little less then 24h in HKG. My plans changed and I do not need the layover anymore. Has anybody personal experience how CX reacts if asking in HKG at the transfer desk for an earlier connection to BKK?

On rewards tickets CX was so far always kind with me to change my tickets if showing up at the airport.

Many thanks and kind regars,
bivinco

Great_circle Oct 2, 2018 5:28 am

Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL (Post 30220961)

Indeed QR sales aren’t what they used to be. If the 4 x 140 TP’s is important you might try RJ AMS->AMM->BKK->AMM->AMS. Just booked one for about 1450,- euros. No stopovers permitted however.
I was on their dreamliner 4 years ago (my B787 ‘initiation’) and it was a lot more comfy than BA club. Not as easy to find though as they aren’t doing AMS-AMM on a daily basis.

Keter Jan 15, 2019 10:48 am

BA has updated the fare on 17 December and it requires direct LON-BKK now. No way to upgrade with vouchers ti First as LON-BKK does not offer first class.

foxyankee Feb 16, 2019 5:21 pm

How much is a change before departure?

Is it possible to shift my day of flight for the flight back home by 2 weeks?
My present ticket is BKK-KUL(MH)-LHR-AMS(BA).

Is it possible to keep that routing and how much is the change for the date of travel?

mikeyfly Feb 17, 2019 2:38 am

No one here can answer the reprice question - call BA and ask. It’s often cheaper to make changes after you have started your intinerary

AY1337 Feb 17, 2019 3:06 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 30788131)
No one here can answer the reprice question - call BA and ask. It’s often cheaper to make changes after you have started your intinerary

Hmm, how would this work? The reissue fee being counted for all the yet-to-be-flown legs?

ubiest Feb 17, 2019 4:03 am

Originally Posted by foxyankee (Post 30787260)

Is it possible to keep that routing and how much is the change for the date of travel?

I did this in November, and changed it for the 300 EUR change fee. There must be I availability on the date you plan to travel.

skywalkerLAX Feb 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Keter (Post 30657813)
BA has updated the fare on 17 December and it requires direct LON-BKK now. No way to upgrade with vouchers ti First as LON-BKK does not offer first class.

Plus the worst, filthiest and oldest plane (777) to boot. Me thinks NOT.

Keter Feb 17, 2019 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by foxyankee (Post 30787260)

As the routing via KUL to BKK is no longer available under the low fare the changes will probably not be cheap.

Changes before departure to onward flights (first fare component) are similar to bying a new ticket with most airlines - see what you can get now for your dates/ route, this will be the answer. And do not forget to add the change fee from your current ticket.